Footwear for the Amazon

commodoredave

We are getting close to our Expedition cruise aboard the Pursuit in the Amazon, so we are now getting into some nitty gritty issues like appropriate footwear. 

In particular, I would appreciate any suggestions on the most appropriate shoes to wear for trips ashore on the Zodiac, and walking onshore during an excusion. Should I bring boat shoes, rubber water shoes, tennis shoes, etc.?

Thanks.

Hi all,   we are also on the Pursuit for the Amazon/Antarctica expedition cruise. We are also trying to determine if we should bring trail shoes or hiking shoes for the Amazon.  Our luggage is limited and need to be judicious with what we bring.  We will have water sandals with us.  

Thanks for your advice around hiking boots!

As a hiker, I would never bring my hiking boots on a cruise - too heavy and take up too much room.  The best thing to bring are hiking tennis shoes.  They are great for city walking, trail walking, or hiking.  All the brands have them.  

I brought hiking she’s to the Amazon, ankle high and waterproof.    We had planned many shore excursions through the jungles.   If you don’t expect to do those hikes then don’t bring the shoes.   Our hikes were muddy and sometimes through small streams and puddles.   We were allowed two suitcases each on the plane so we had no problem packing them.    

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 5:45 PM, jjs217 said:

As a hiker, I would never bring my hiking boots on a cruise - too heavy and take up too much room.  The best thing to bring are hiking tennis shoes.  They are great for city walking, trail walking, or hiking.  All the brands have them.  

That’s what I did in Greenland, only issue mine weren’t waterproof 

We did the Amazon cruise on the Venture earlier this year and the only visits ashore were a stop at a local village and a local school.  There was no hiking or trekking off the zodiacs.  The  zodiac excursions were what I would describe as scenic cruising, going down tributaries and lakes looking for birds and wildlife.  

My suggestion on attire/footware for the zodiacs is to keep as much covered as possible (for bugs) and prepare for the unpredictable weather.  A zodiac ride could start out hot and muggy and quickly become a downpour.  If it does start pouring, don't expect to be back on the ship in a few minutes so you may be out in the rain a while.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CRUISER94044 said:

Thanks so much,   Just a heads up. We just got notice from Seabourn that an original yellow fever vaccination record is required to board the ship.    

Got the same message.

However, for people who cannot have a Yellow Fever vaccine, it also says:

"If you have a medical contraindication to the vaccine, you must bring an original, signed and dated vaccine exemption certificate issued by a licensed medical doctor. Please note photocopies are not acceptable."

So if you can't have a Yellow Fever Vaccine, it's important you bring the correct documentation.

7 hours ago, BOB999 said:

We did the Amazon cruise on the Venture earlier this year and the only visits ashore were a stop at a local village and a local school.  There was no hiking or trekking off the zodiacs.  The  zodiac excursions were what I would describe as scenic cruising, going down tributaries and lakes looking for birds and wildlife.  

My suggestion on attire/footware for the zodiacs is to keep as much covered as possible (for bugs) and prepare for the unpredictable weather.  A zodiac ride could start out hot and muggy and quickly become a downpour.  If it does start pouring, don't expect to be back on the ship in a few minutes so you may be out in the rain a while.

Thanks, the more I read about the Amazon the more I feel it is not the place for me. I like activities (hiking, kayak etc) and spotting animals, I hate bugs and humid heat. Plus a few people from the expedition team told the interesting part is from Quito to Manaus, after that the river is so big you don't see much  (it is like being in open sea).

Edited by Khareef

19 hours ago, Khareef said:

Thanks, the more I read about the Amazon the more I feel it is not the place for me. I like activities (hiking, kayak etc) and spotting animals, I hate bugs and humid heat. Plus a few people from the expedition team told the interesting part is from Quito to Manaus, after that the river is so big you don't see much  (it is like being in open sea).

Have you tried the Galapagos? Lots of hiking, getting close up to wild life, snorkeling, kayaking, etc. We had a great time. 

On 9/22/2023 at 5:16 PM, Khareef said:

My comments were not intended on dissuading you towards going to the Amazon.  We had a wonderful time and Seabourn did a great job assembling a wonderful team of naturalists who made the journey great.

There are treks available albeit not on our cruise via Seabourn, some folks did them on their own out of Manaus.  

Kayaking was available at most stops with an extra charge.

Our journey was originally supposed to go to Peru; however due to "issues" we were re-routed.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BOB999 said:

My comments were not intended on dissuading you towards going to the Amazon.  We had a wonderful time and Seabourn did a great job assembling a wonderful team of naturalists who made the journey great.

There are treks available albeit not on our cruise via Seabourn, some folks did them on their own out of Manaus.  

Kayaking was available at most stops with an extra charge.

Our journey was originally supposed to go to Peru; however due to "issues" we were re-routed.  

How was the bugs issue? A few crew members told me it is really hard to be on open decks with all those bugs flying around.

2 hours ago, Khareef said:

How was the bugs issue? A few crew members told me it is really hard to be on open decks with all those bugs flying around.

Good question. There may be a difference below Manaus as the river is much wider, making it more difficult for bugs to reach the ship. Another factor might be seasonal - the wet season runs from December to June, and may have more bugs than the dry season. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 12:45 PM, jjs217 said:

Hiking tennis, waterproof should be enough. 

About flies, it is not that much, but I do recommend bringing repellent.

You do not see many big animals in Amazon, you do see birds, flowers, small alligators, sloths, river dolphins, and trees, lot of trees. And yes, the river is so larger that you cannot see the riverbanks in some areas.

And it rains almost every day, but in the end of the day and it lasts maybe 1 to 2 hours, not much than that. Bringing a raincoat is a good idea. And it is always hot and humid.

• Like 2