ETIAS info for 2024

longterm

I received an email from one of our tour providers (Odyssey) this morning; this may be helpful to some on this forum:

——-

As you may be aware, beginning in 2024, certain European countries will require non-visa travelers to apply for a new travel authorization form called the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS). Originally, many outlets reported that this meant Americans would need to obtain a visa to travel to Europe. I’m happy to report that this is not the case. 

The ETIAS is not a visa, but rather a travel authorization for short-term stays – similar to the U.S.’s Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) required for folks who travel here from other countries. It will only take about 10 minutes to apply online and will cost less than $10.

Quick Facts About the ETIAS:

• Starting Date: The official 2024 starting date of the ETIAS is not yet known; it is expected to be announced at the end of 2023. If you are reserved on a tour on which you will need to obtain an ETIAS, we will contact you once the starting date is determined.  
  • Requirements: The ETIAS will require such information as biometric data (e.g., name, gender, date of birth, etc.), passport information, health information, criminal record, and previous EU immigration history, if applicable (see a full list of requirements here). 
  • Format: The online form will be digitally linked to your passport.
  • Who Should Apply: All travelers from visa-exempt countries (including the U.S.) who are entering current European Union and Schengen member countries will need to obtain ETIAS authorization prior to entry.
  • Fee: A fee of 7EUR will be charged for applicants between the ages of 18 and 70. All applicants outside of this age range will not need to pay a fee to obtain the ETIAS.
  • Application: The online form will take about 10–20 minutes to complete and most applicants will receive a decision within minutes of submission.
  • Validity Period: The multi-entry authorization will be valid for a period of three years or until the date of the applicant’s passport expiry, whichever is sooner. A valid ETIAS entitles you to stay in the applicable countries for up to 90 days within any 180-day period.
  • Thanks 4

@longterm and others  The linked web site is NOT the official web site for applications .  The EU site is the only official site for applications, when they actually become official.  Please see the DOT EU site and visit the NEWS tab where they directly discuss the emergence of unofficial ETIAS web sites.  If you google the addresses of the above linked web site you will see on government , storefront addresses.  Please keep your data and money safe and only use the  DOT EU site

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Meander Ingwa said:

@longterm and others  The linked web site is NOT the official web site for applications .  The EU site is the only official site for applications, when they actually become official.  Please see the DOT EU site and visit the NEWS tab where they directly discuss the emergence of unofficial ETIAS web sites.  If you google the addresses of the above linked web site you will see on government , storefront addresses.  Please keep your data and money safe and only use the  DOT EU site

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias.

Interesting; I didn't actually visit the site, but did just now; they have the domain name (which of course means nothing, since anyone can buy any domain name). It *appears* legit; is it a reseller of some sort?

It was the link that Odyssey sent us; also, the fee they quote is the same that I read about elsewhere.

Edited by longterm

14 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

Read the EU site.  This could be a misguided attempt to offer services or it could be data mining including bank info.  Odyssey should probably be directed to the EU website and make every effort to guide people to correct information for the source that is responsible 

I agree and will send them an email; thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, auntieS said:

No, ETIAS Won't Become Operational in 2024, EU Sources Say  - SchengenVisaInfo.com  

Rick Steves forum and other news sites quoting above now say May 2025 😄   Don't think official confirmation from .eu yet though.

Especially since the Olympics are in Paris next year, there will be pressure to postpone this until 2025. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, auntieS said:

No, ETIAS Won't Become Operational in 2024, EU Sources Say  - SchengenVisaInfo.com  

Rick Steves forum and other news sites quoting above now say May 2025 😄   Don't think official confirmation from .eu yet though.

That is an interesting article and thank you for the link.

What I think people are missing here is the impact of EES, the system that will be introduced ahead of ETIAS. EES will require that all non-EU nationals are photographed and fingerprinted at their first point of entry into the EU. 

ETIAS is a simple on-line form that people will be able to complete in the comfort of home. EES, on the other hand, will require us to stand in line to be processed in person at the point of entry. 

Therefore I feel that EES, which is likely to become active at some point in 2024, is a change that will have a much greater practical impact on our travel experience than ETIAS.

somewhere along the line I have already had the photo and fingerprints done.  Took about 30 seconds, tops.  I cannot remember, however, where this was done.  Quite a probably nearly 10 years ago, perhaps London, possibly in Johannesburg?  Look here, put your hand here, done.  My brain is never quite on target after long international journeys so I dont have details sunk in my memory bank .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

somewhere along the line I have already had the photo and fingerprints done

I'm sure you realize this data will not be available for EES and you will need to have them taken again.

Let's assume you're right and the process takes 30 seconds per person. Now imagine you have 500 people in front of you going through five entry lanes at 30 extra seconds each. That is going to add an extra 50 minutes to the time that it takes for you to get through immigration into the EU. Hence my concern over the additional time.

I do speak from experience having gone through the process when it was introduced for non-us citizens coming into the USA.