Musing around Japan (Sept 25 - Oct 9) live

Port Power

Tuesday, October 3rd: Kanazawa overnight.

I was on an afternoon excursion, so used the morning to do a load of washing and emerald relax and read.  My excursion first went to the Kenroku-en Garden, which I had visited at the beginning of April this year and looked forward to seeing again.  They are next to the Castle, which we did not visit.

IMG_2454.thumb.jpeg.3664655382c1daed4250af328b140547.jpeg

And in April this year…

IMG_1128.thumb.jpeg.12c16e5e47027ed7d5956303e87bb7c3.jpeg

IMG_1129.thumb.jpeg.ab018a6197a1536979bccc06eed4e5ae.jpeg

Once again the trees were beautifully shaped.  There were gardeners up ladders gentry plucking pine needs off to continue that shaping.

IMG_2458.thumb.jpeg.e13fda8123a9486169f92f288f146299.jpeg

IMG_2459.thumb.jpeg.4aa3171816dab43a7cf9bcd9592a0039.jpeg

The two-legged stone lantern here is famous.  Usually these lamps have three or five legs.

IMG_2455.thumb.jpeg.2732577b5633bb3dc0d574c93a83977b.jpeg

IMG_2456.thumb.jpeg.ba4b713a7aa198dc7fb8bf4c8bc5837c.jpeg

• Like 6

The second part of the tour was to the Higashi Chaka District, also known as the geisha district.  Geisha perform in Chayas.  

In the morning I noticed a huge cruise ship across in the outer harbour.  Binoculars helped ,e identify it as MSC Insignia.  There were many other buses in the parking lot, presumably with groups from that ship.  (Shudder!)

During the initial walk, the guide seemed to be constantly saying, “on your left is a shop, on your right is a shop, on your left is a restaurant” ad infinitum.  This seemed to be only a shopping stop.  

IMG_2467.thumb.jpeg.0d991cb8ab98c37bdac23b5cb4535d2a.jpeg

Fortunately during my April tour our group of 12 had been taken through a private house, so I was lucky.

• Like 5

Kanazawa is know for gold leaf.  A farmer had been digging up his sweet potatoes when he discovered gold, and there it started.  I went to a gold leaf producing business last visit, and took this opportunity to actually do some shopping for the gold leaf skin care products they produced with the offcuts of gold leaf.  They are very good products at very reasonable prices.

image.thumb.jpg.3a9126c9673687c9eacef417daf795b3.jpg

Christmas presents sorted!  

There are many products contains gold leaf, from jewellery to glassware.

IMG_2469.thumb.jpeg.6c1c623dc7b6523c557e4c57b939e4b7.jpeg

A few from the solo group had done the “Gold Leaf Experience” tour and actually covered the top half of chopsticks with gold leaf (after finely taping a pattern).  They all had great fun, and brought home something to show.

On Monday night I cancelled my tour for this morning.  It was the Samurai, Geishas and Gold Leaf Experience” they had done, but the first two sites were just repeat shopping trips in period buildings.  Pity I miss out on chopsticks. 😢 😂

My bus arrived back just after 6:00pm.  As I walked past my trivia group (we always sat on for another hour chatting!) they informed me they had won.  And handed me a 5-point card!  They still want me to come along tonight though. 😀

Jonathan performed his solo show again last night.  Once again, fantastic!  We followed that up in the Dolce Vita lounge until midnight.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, October 9th: Kanazawa. Ship departs at 2:00pm

Again a pleasant 25C.  So much nicer after the heat and humidity of the southern cities.

The Captain just made an announcement before we pushed off that Silver Muse would not be visiting Akita tomorrow.  There is a major storm brewing, so he is altering course to better avoid it.  He said if we did manage to dock in Akita, we would have to leave an hour later anyway.  So tomorrow will be a day at sea, which is not bad alternative.  The Captain is certain we will dock in Amori as planned.  That is a full day until 11:00pm.

I’m off to Evelyn’s destination lecture about Akita.  She is an historian and is very enjoyable to listen to.  We can see what we are missing.

• Like 5

The KenRoku - En gardens are magnificent but those over 65. So those that are should never pay for an excursion to go there. Do half a day on your own then an included excursion the other half day.

Did you have a Gold leaf ice cream?

• Like 1

BREAKING NEWS!

There is actually a huge storm to the east and west of the ship.  Akita has closed its port, which is why the ship isn’t going there.  Aomori, which was Friday’s destination, has also now closed its port, so we are all at sea.  Literally!

From the weather map, the ship is steering more or less north between the storm fronts to reach safer waters.  Eventually it will track back around to the strait between Honshu and Hokkaido.  

There is some fine rain right now, or perhaps spray, but not much rocking and rolling.  Some motion, of course, and there may be more in the wee hours.

The cruise director is madly rewriting the Chronicles and adding in sea day events.  The destination lecturer is going to do another interesting historical lecture instead of destination Aomori.  The other excellent lecturer is pulling out one of his standby talks.  “Liar Liar” will be on again in the Panorama Lounge tomorrow night.  Mark Farris, the fabulous permanent guest piano player and entertainer is going to do another 6:30pm show in the Venetian Lounge.

It’s a good thing the ship stocked up with fruit, vegetables and booze in Kanazawa!

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

The KenRoku - En gardens are magnificent but those over 65. So those that are should never pay for an excursion to go there. Do half a day on your own then an included excursion the other half day.

Did you have a Gold leaf ice cream?

Some of the guests took the bus to the gardens this morning and, yes, found entry was free anyway.  They also spent quality time in the castle grounds.

I did not have an ice cream wrapped in gold leaf this visit, but have enjoyed one before.  Decadent.  

When I bought the gold leaf serums and lotions, I had multiple samples rubbed into my arms.  I can confirm that I did not sparkle under the lights when I returned to Dolce Vita! 🌟

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Some of the guests took the bus to the gardens this morning and, yes, found entry was free anyway.  They also spent quality time in the castle grounds.

I did not have an ice cream wrapped in gold leaf this visit, but have enjoyed one before.  Decadent.  

When I bought the gold leaf serums and lotions, I had multiple samples rubbed into my arms.  I can confirm that I did not sparkle under the lights when I returned to Dolce Vita! 🌟

I think you probably sparkle without the gold leaf serums and lotions!  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Crisis over. I slept like a lamb and on opening the curtains this morning, the sky was sunny with some cloud.  Now at 8:00am there are more clouds, and they are quite dark.  However, the sea is calm and reasonably flat.  No white caps in sight, nor any noticeable swell.  The butler passed on that we should have a good day.  But he wants a port stop!

I will have to take photos around the ship to keep the story going until Hakodate.

IMG_2424.thumb.jpeg.28d5bd1c6cd99ee3bb5e924bcdcd7670.jpeg

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday’s lecture in lieu of Akita was about a Japanese diplomat who saved tens of thousands of (mainly) Polish Jews during WWII. Chiune Sugihara. He went against his government’s orders, instead following his samurai code, and he provided visas for the fleeing Jews to transit through Japan. He and his wife wrote hundreds of visas per day before they had to leave Lithuania. On return to Japan, he was sacked. He is one of those unknown heroes we should hear more about. There is a statue of him in Israel.

IMG_2470.thumb.jpeg.093ee2aef42dcaa3ad55c4212fcce2d6.jpeg

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Yesterday’s lecture in lieu of Akita was about a Japanese diplomat who saved tens of thousands of (mainly) Polish Jews during WWII. Chiune Sugihara. He went against his government’s orders, instead following his samurai code, and he provided visas for the fleeing Jews to transit through Japan. He and his wife wrote hundreds of visas per day before they had to leave Lithuania. On return to Japan, he was sacked. He is one of those unknown heroes we should hear more about. There is a statue of him in Israel.

IMG_2470.thumb.jpeg.093ee2aef42dcaa3ad55c4212fcce2d6.jpeg

Thanks for that. I decided to find out more about the man. Obviously a good scholar but with a down to earth approach to life as well as being humble.

I just love what he said when asked why he issued the visas in Lithuania.

"You want to know about my motivation, don't you? Well. It is the kind of sentiments anyone would have when he actually sees refugees face to face, begging with tears in their eyes. He just cannot help but sympathize with them. Among the refugees were the elderly and women. They were so desperate that they went so far as to kiss my shoes. Yes, I actually witnessed such scenes with my own eyes. Also, I felt at that time, that the Japanese government did not have any uniform opinion in Tokyo. Some Japanese military leaders were just scared because of the pressure from the ***; while other officials in the Home Ministry were simply ambivalent. People in Tokyo were not united. I felt it silly to deal with them. So, I made up my mind not to wait for their reply. I knew that somebody would surely complain about me in the future. But, I myself thought this would be the right thing to do. There is nothing wrong in saving many people's lives... The spirit of humanity, philanthropy... neighborly friendship... with this spirit, I ventured to do what I did, confronting this most difficult situation – and because of this reason, I went ahead with redoubled courage.[44]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiune_Sugihara

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It’s gone midnight and all is calm.  The ship is staying in the shelter of Honshu.  There are some white caps on the sea, but it has been pretty calm for hours.

There was a big turnout at the solo drinks tonight, and we invited the assistant cruise director and the female singer to join us for dinner.  So two tables for six.  Both tables had a great night.

”Liar, Liar” was a lot of fun tonight.  We then proceeded to Dolce Vita where André was playing guitar, followed by the lovely Greek piano man.  Just a few of us solos and a large group of Quebecois.  A great end to a fun day.

My trivia team are having lunch together in Atlantide tomorrow. We have been pretty successful; certainly enough to have a good time.  Two from England, two from Texas, two from Newcastle, NSW, me from Perth and one from New Zealand.  The latter is a whiz at geography.

I have a confirmed booking for 3 at Kaiseki the night after next; my first dinner there for dinner.  I will take photos. I promise! (If I remember.) 🙂

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 7

On 9/26/2023 at 1:30 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

I can recommend a private guide for Tokyo if needed.  Also highly recommend a Tokyo food tour with Culinary Back Streets.  

I much appreciate a recommendation for a Toyo guide.

Friday, October 6th: at sea

Today is quite sunny but there is a definite swell and plenty of salt water spray.  

image.thumb.jpg.ad45009265636ec323b2b3cedc9e7651.jpg

Tonight the chocolate buffet will be in the Panorama Lounge in a modified form.

The Destination lecturer has given her talk on Hakodate, with an added brief encapsulation of Akita and Aomori after multiple requests from passengers.

Nevertheless, we are managing to stay entertained. 🍸

IMG_2474.thumb.jpeg.29a6cb25a022199ea8841a5b485378ae.jpeg
Yesterday were champagne cocktails. 🥂

This (late) morning were martini’s. 🍸

I am lunching today with my trivia team.  We are pretty successful, but a very happy group anyway.

• Like 6

The ship sheltered in the strait between the two islands of Honshu and Hokkaido overnight and then headed south down Honshu for a bit. The Captain has just made his announcement. The ship is now sailing north again, on track to dock at Hakodate tomorrow at 7:00am.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Port Power said:

The ship sheltered in the strait between the two islands of Honshu and Hokkaido overnight and then headed south down Honshu for a bit. The Captain has just made his announcement. The ship is now sailing north again, on track to dock at Hakodate tomorrow at 7:00am.

What is the name of your Captain as we are joining the ship in Hong Kong? 

Flying in to Japan on Monday our flight diverted to the west of Taiwan to miss the approaching typhoon. The weather since a bit on the cold side with showers.

Until yesterday which was basically perfect with not a cloud in the sky here in Yokohama. Today is nice but increasing cloud. a few showers predicted Sunday afternoon and rain early Monday but clearing by 10am with just an occasional shower in the next 36 hours.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drron29 said:

Flying in to Japan on Monday our flight diverted to the west of Taiwan to miss the approaching typhoon. The weather since a bit on the cold side with showers.

Until yesterday which was basically perfect with not a cloud in the sky here in Yokohama. Today is nice but increasing cloud. a few showers predicted Sunday afternoon and rain early Monday but clearing by 10am with just an occasional shower in the next 36 hours.

If only I could stay on!  😭

• Like 1