Musing around Japan (Sept 25 - Oct 9) live

Port Power

28 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Yes a miserable morning indeed. now if you had a starboard cabin I got plenty of photos of that side this morning. All in my report.

Yes, I am on the starboard side.  I went out and waved to you, but as the weather has already worsened, you probably wouldn’t have seen me!

I will follow you through your cruise to Cairns as well as I can whilst in Europe. Internet will be somewhat limited, plus we will be kept very busy.  Happy travels.

• Like 3

I will enlarge all my photos and see if I can see the wave,

😉

PS. I can actually see 2 balconies on deck 6,1 on deck 8 and 1 on deck 10 where someone is out on their balcony.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 1

It has been raining so hard that our bus decided to forego the beautiful Sankeien Garden.  Walking to the Kawasaki Daishi Temple had umbrellas blowing inside out and back again, and trouser legs were saturated.  No one wanted to stroll through gardens for an hour in the pelting rain!  Fair enough.  The guide rang his office and they would not let him take us or a shopping mall, so we headed to Narita Airport instead. For those flying with ANA, check in is at any time.  For many of us, it is a long wait with the luggage. No going through to the lounges for us!  😫

image.thumb.jpg.450ffaa5726e54908db0e4c783074a08.jpg

• Like 1

Need a sad icon.

I had a walk planned for this morning ending at the gin stalls. So just went to the gin stalls. Only one open. Fortunately the one I had planned to buy from.

Certainly walking there and back I doubted the hotel would get it’s umbrella back undamaged. 

Weatherwise the worst day we have had in Japan. Indeed the whole trip.

• Like 1

Our last day on the ship was fairly quiet.  People were packing, I guess.  A few of us had a farewell lunch in Atlantide.  We came fourth at trivia and then visited the prize claim desk.  They ran out of pens!  I have a certificate to take onto to Silver Dawn next month.

Keshia performed her solo cabaret.  The remaining group of solos left Dolce Vita for a drink up in the Observation Lounge.  Then our final delicious dinner at Silver Note. Two of us remained for the third set, but the singer took an extra 15 minute break (half an hour), so we finally gave up and left, meeting the duo at the door as they returned.  An unfortunate end to a wonderful cruise.

My suite was on deck 5, so I always walked through Dolce Vita on the way “home”.  If there was good music, or people I knew, I would stay awhile.  If it was already very late, I would collect my mug of green tea from Joyce and walk on.  

I had a wonderful time and met all manner of people from all over the world.  I might try writing a blog on my next cruises on Silver Dawn.  During that trip I will remember to take more photos of the fun little things going on. 📸

Until then, happy cruising to you all.  😄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I’m sitting in the United Airlines lounge drinking a tasty Australian Cab Sav.  Boarding in 20 minutes.  This is a much nicer and more spacious lounge than ANA.  

You will see much more of Jonathan at trivia!  But say hello to Joyce, behind the Dolce Vita bar, please. Carol.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, drron29 said:

Weatherwise the worst day we have had in Japan.

Have seen the horrible weather in pics from a friend sailing with you on the Muse.  Looked like a miserable 2-mile walk to his favorite ramen spot.

Edited by Stumblefoot

On 10/4/2023 at 7:26 AM, Port Power said:

Some of the guests took the bus to the gardens this morning and, yes, found entry was free anyway.  They also spent quality time in the castle grounds.

I did not have an ice cream wrapped in gold leaf this visit, but have enjoyed one before.  Decadent.  

When I bought the gold leaf serums and lotions, I had multiple samples rubbed into my arms.  I can confirm that I did not sparkle under the lights when I returned to Dolce Vita! 🌟

Is the bus to the garden you mentioned provided by the cruise ship or public transit?

1 hour ago, jackiequilts said:

Is the bus to the garden you mentioned provided by the cruise ship or public transit?

@drron29 surmised correctly.  The ship ran a shuttle to the train station in the middle of town.  From there, passengers caught the JR train and reported that it was all very easy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

Previously the ship would provide a shuttle to Kanazawa station and a very good JR bus service does a loop around the major tourist sights.

But @Port Power the weather is cruel. Perfect by this afternoon.

DSC04530.JPG.f8e7e127c0e72add9d2da66c27a03da5.JPG

DSC04531.JPG.dc56807feba86fa6ca4b7ee1f7402df7.JPG

It seems my 31 days of really good weather was a super bonus.  Although those hot days after Yokohama were debilitating to many.  That last extremely wet day was an anomaly for us.  I’m so sorry you have had a rocky start to your cruise. 

• Like 2