Planning Alaskan cruise for 2024

britincanada

Hello all,

We are looking at an Alaskan cruise for next year. I am starting to dig into the details, and have been reading posts here to try and gain some insight!

Would you recommend sailing out of Seattle or Vancouver? Or is it better to do a one way? 

Cruise line - we sailed Carnival in the Caribbean 17 years ago (a quick child free trip for our 10th anniversary), last year we sailed 5 nights on Virgin Voyages - we were spoiled and were mega rockstars thanks to the covid cancellations and generous rebooking credit, and we are sailing Virgin again this Nov on an 8 night cruise in an XL sea terrace (balcony) cabin. Virgin has captured our hearts for a few reasons -  no kids, no upcharges for specialty restaurants, no tipping, crew paid and treated better etc. Unfortunately they don't have an Alaska itinerary so we need to choose a different line! We will be 50 & 56, young at heart, looking for a ship with a relaxed vibe, not over run with children (planning to go in may I think to help with this!), not stuffy or too formal. Decent MDR food. Any suggestions please? Reading here has suggested not choosing Celebrity as they don't go to Glacier Bay.

Places that I should ensure are on the itinerary?

Is it best to get a balcony rather than just an ocean view? Not sure that we will be up to splurging on a suite!

I appreciate advice, insights & info to help me plan this trip! Thank you 🙂

• Like 1

We are going for our second cruise in July 2024 and are doing northbound from Vancouver to Seward (which we did in 2015 - this time will be with kids and grandkids). We prefer one way to allow time do something on the land afterwards (we are doing our own plan - not a land tour). I also like that the cruises leaving from Vancouver (or Seward) use smaller ships so can get to more ports. Plus we didn't want time at sea that the Seattle routes must do. We are "balcony" people so doing that again. There are many places on the ship for views but I love morning coffee on the balcony - under a blanket though! 

We took Celebrity first time and RCCL this time - both go to Hubbard Glacier (which was stunning) rather than Glacier Bay. If you definitely want Glacier Bay which many do, look at Princess or HAL - there may be others. We chose based on fewest days at sea - we want to see ports - and also based on time in port so look at those carefully.

Our first Alaska cruise is in June 2024. After much research we went with a one way Whittier to Vancouver Southbound on Princess to get to see both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay NP. We chose Princess over HAL because they had the longer times in each port, and went Southbound because most flights returning home from Anchorage are red-eye which we're not fans of. Plus we get any potential for rough seas in the Gulf of Alaska out of the way on Day1. We booked on the older but smaller Sapphire Princess because it has a wrap around covered promenade deck, and it sails inside Vancouver Island rather than outside like the bigger ships. Hope that helps. 

Edited by Dereknadz

Look into Glacier Bay.  We have only done one cruise and that was to Alaska and I LOVE Glacier Bay.  I would not consider a cruise without it.

Both Princess and Holland America have the longest history in Alaska and that can be a plus.

If you have the time/money, I would look into a one-way cruise so you can start/stop in Alaska and do some touring before the cruise.   These start/end in Vancouver and either Whittier or Seward in Alaska.

Check out this thread of ideas to do in Alaska either at the beginning or end.

Ports to research:

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Sitka

Icy Strait Point

The first three are the most common with sometimes one of the last two being a replacement.  There might be others on some lines but I think I got the most common ports.  So you can research locations and activities and see what sounds like the most fun.  Then find a cruise that makes that port and also has enough time since some ships do not stay in the port the same amount of time.  Some are shorter than others.

This can help you decide what itinerary you want to do.

To give you an idea, here is my itinerary for June 2024.   Check the above thread for other great examples.

Holland America Nordam Southbound

7/14  Fly to Anchorage

7/14  Rent a car and drive to Seward.  Visiting various sights on the way including the Alaskan Wildlife Conservation Center

7/15  8.5 hour Cruise in the Kenai Fjords with Major Marine

7/16 Drive back to Anchorage to drop off the car

7/16 Bus to Whitter to board the ship

7/17 Hubbard Glacier

7/18 Glacier Bay

7/19 Skagway, doing a train/bus ride up the Yukon

7/20 Juneau, doing a whale watching excursion.

7/21 Ketchikan, doing a walkabout unless I change my mind and do the Rain Forest hike.

7/22 Sea day

7/23 Arrive in Vancouver, take a bus down to seattle and fly home.

By adding a short land tour before the cruise, my costs are going up by around $2,000.   So it can be cheaper if I cut out that Kenai Fjords part but heck no!  The one-way options also seem to have more time in ports than a round trip.

But the one-way will cost more than a round trip from Seattle or Vancouver.  Including flights.

In case you do not know it.  Alaska is expensive.  You might be able to do two Caribbean cruises for the price of one Alaskan one.  So be aware of that.

My personal view is that Alaska is a cruise for people who want to see nature.  Either the landscapes or the wildlife.  Thus, if you are more into hitting a beach and chilling, then Alaska might not be the option for you.  

Edited by SirTomster
spelling
  • Like 3

We prefer Princess for Alaska, especially so we can hit Glacier Bay. We also do just fine in an inside since we’re out on deck, or in the observation lounge if the weather’s crap. Headed up again in September, this time on the Sapphire because of her size, Promenade Deck, and the observation lounge. This will be our second time doing a B2B, which takes more time (which we can afford) but saves a bit on airfare. Gives us lots of time to relax and see the towns. 

On 9/28/2023 at 4:41 PM, britincanada said:

Is it best to get a balcony rather than just an ocean view? Not sure that we will be up to splurging on a suite!

There are many who swear that a balcony is the only way to go, but it really depends on the price points and a couple of other factors such as weather, including colder and perhaps some rain too, also the scenery and if someone is a keen photographer who would prefer a more open view.

But on our Alaska itineraries, we actually spent much more time on the open decks  and covered or semi covered Promenade Decks, with the occasional seat in poorer weather in a forward Observation Lounge for better views than we could get from our room. 

Alaska is all about the scenery and the wildlife,and a balcony restricts you to one side only. And on sunny days you might find yourself on the shaded side. On open decks you can move easily from one side to the other and can often have a forward view in addition (and the stern can also be good).  We find the ability to move from one side to the other much more convenient, and quite often other passengers will spot whales or otters or something else of interest and give a shout out which you would be unaware of sitting on your balcony. And very occasionally, a Captain will announce a "sighting" which is broadcast on open decks but not always inside the ship so as not to disrupt pax having a long lie or a meal service.

I am sure others will disagree, but open decks worked well for us so the actual room is not that important to us for viewing purposes.

Ours were with HAL and we were very happy with the ships.

Edited by edinburgher

On 9/30/2023 at 7:37 PM, SirTomster said:

Look into Glacier Bay.  We have only done one cruise and that was to Alaska and I LOVE Glacier Bay.  I would not consider a cruise without it.

Both Princess and Holland America have the longest history in Alaska and that can be a plus.

If you have the time/money, I would look into a one-way cruise so you can start/stop in Alaska and do some touring before the cruise.   These start/end in Vancouver and either Whittier or Seward in Alaska.

Check out this thread of ideas to do in Alaska either at the beginning or end.

Ports to research:

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Sitka

Icy Strait Point

The first three are the most common with sometimes one of the last two being a replacement.  There might be others on some lines but I think I got the most common ports.  So you can research locations and activities and see what sounds like the most fun.  Then find a cruise that makes that port and also has enough time since some ships do not stay in the port the same amount of time.  Some are shorter than others.

This can help you decide what itinerary you want to do.

To give you an idea, here is my itinerary for June 2024.   Check the above thread for other great examples.

Holland America Nordam Southbound

7/14  Fly to Anchorage

7/14  Rent a car and drive to Seward.  Visiting various sights on the way including the Alaskan Wildlife Conservation Center

7/15  8.5 hour Cruise in the Kenai Fjords with Major Marine

7/16 Drive back to Anchorage to drop off the car

7/16 Bus to Whitter to board the ship

7/17 Hubbard Glacier

7/18 Glacier Bay

7/19 Skagway, doing a train/bus ride up the Yukon

7/20 Juneau, doing a whale watching excursion.

7/21 Ketchikan, doing a walkabout unless I change my mind and do the Rain Forest hike.

7/22 Sea day

7/23 Arrive in Vancouver, take a bus down to seattle and fly home.

By adding a short land tour before the cruise, my costs are going up by around $2,000.   So it can be cheaper if I cut out that Kenai Fjords part but heck no!  The one-way options also seem to have more time in ports than a round trip.

But the one-way will cost more than a round trip from Seattle or Vancouver.  Including flights.

In case you do not know it.  Alaska is expensive.  You might be able to do two Caribbean cruises for the price of one Alaskan one.  So be aware of that.

My personal view is that Alaska is a cruise for people who want to see nature.  Either the landscapes or the wildlife.  Thus, if you are more into hitting a beach and chilling, then Alaska might not be the option for you.  

I see on your itinerary for your cruise you are taking a bus from Vancouver to Seattle. What company are you using? I was looking at flying into Seattle first and the possibility of either a car rental or a flight into Vancouver for our May 2024 Alaska cruise. Thank you for the information.  

8 hours ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

I see on your itinerary for your cruise you are taking a bus from Vancouver to Seattle. What company are you using? I was looking at flying into Seattle first and the possibility of either a car rental or a flight into Vancouver for our May 2024 Alaska cruise. Thank you for the information.  

I am looking at Quick Shuttle    https://quickcoach.com/

The price was about $50 per person but there would be some baggage fees.

I will be picked up at the Cruise Port in Vancouver and dropped off at the Seatac airport.  They do the reverse too.

Currently, for me to fly from Vancouver to Salt Lake is about $700 more than Seattle to Salt Lake.  So paying $130 (ish) for a bus to Seattle sounds like a deal.  Granted my Sunday will be getting off the ship, hopping on a bus for a 4 to 5 hour drive to Seattle, then flying home from Seattle.  

But with that price difference, I am leaning towards that.  If the price was closer, I would fly from Vancouver, but right now a bus ride looks a lot better to my wallet.

1 hour ago, SirTomster said:

I am looking at Quick Shuttle    https://quickcoach.com/

The price was about $50 per person but there would be some baggage fees.

I will be picked up at the Cruise Port in Vancouver and dropped off at the Seatac airport.  They do the reverse too.

Currently, for me to fly from Vancouver to Salt Lake is about $700 more than Seattle to Salt Lake.  So paying $130 (ish) for a bus to Seattle sounds like a deal.  Granted my Sunday will be getting off the ship, hopping on a bus for a 4 to 5 hour drive to Seattle, then flying home from Seattle.  

But with that price difference, I am leaning towards that.  If the price was closer, I would fly from Vancouver, but right now a bus ride looks a lot better to my wallet.

Thank you for the info. I have actually looked at taking an Amtrack train from Seattle to Vancouver. For 4 of us it looks like it will be about $135 so flying into Seattle may be the better option and taking the train in for the cruise. 

We have done Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, a shuttle, and last June, the bus. They all worked very well and were cheaper than a flight direct to Vancouver. IMHO, the scenery was very nice too. Mary

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 9:16 PM, libtrek said:

We have done Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, a shuttle, and last June, the bus. They all worked very well and were cheaper than a flight direct to Vancouver. IMHO, the scenery was very nice too. Mary

I am looking at taking Amtrack into Vancouver. I had a couple quick questions about this plan. How far away from the port is the train station in Vancouver? Did you take the train from Seattle to Vancouver on the day of your cruise or the day before? Thank you for your assistance. 

We are thinking of a similar cruise.  We are restricted in the times we can travel to July and August 2024.  Please can someone advise the sort of temperatures we may experience then.  I am very tempted by the Princess Cruise Tours, so a 7 night cruise followed by up to 6 days inland.  Many thanks

On 10/19/2023 at 9:38 PM, Cruisefanatic71 said:

I am looking at taking Amtrack into Vancouver. I had a couple quick questions about this plan. How far away from the port is the train station in Vancouver? Did you take the train from Seattle to Vancouver on the day of your cruise or the day before? Thank you for your assistance. 

It’s a couple miles to the port from the station. Not sure how walkable but I remember plenty of cabs at the station. We took the train the day before and stayed at a hotel. Toured Granville Island that day and cabbed to port in the morning. Depending on train times, I’d be comfortable going directly to ship. If I have to fly, I always go the day before a cruise.

14 hours ago, libtrek said:

It’s a couple miles to the port from the station. Not sure how walkable but I remember plenty of cabs at the station. We took the train the day before and stayed at a hotel. Toured Granville Island that day and cabbed to port in the morning. Depending on train times, I’d be comfortable going directly to ship. If I have to fly, I always go the day before a cruise.

We like to arrive the day before to ensure that there are no issues that would delay us from our cruise. I may look at flying into Seattle 2 days before the cruise then go up to Vancouver the next day and enjoy a day in Vancouver prior to heading out on our cruise. Thank you for the info. 

3 hours ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

We like to arrive the day before to ensure that there are no issues that would delay us from our cruise. I may look at flying into Seattle 2 days before the cruise then go up to Vancouver the next day and enjoy a day in Vancouver prior to heading out on our cruise. Thank you for the info. 

That sounds good. You could do pikes (there’s a pasta shop near the center door that makes lemon orzo that I can’t find any where else), dinner, then tour Vancouver after your train trip. In fact, that sounds so good I may do the same.