How Much Cash to Take Onshore

Special Ed

Hi y'all,

Our 7 Night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Wonder is just over 2 weeks away and I'm doing my last bit of planning. I'm trying to decide how much cash I'll need to take onshore with me on excursion days. We've got a day bed for Chill Island so nothing to rent there. For St. Thomas we're doing the day at Magens Bay. And on St. Maarten we're doing the Rhino Rider tour.

My cash question revolves around what need there is to have it at Magens Bay and for little things after the excursions are over (stopping at a food/drink stand for something to eat/drink before getting back on the ship, souvenir vendors, etc.

How much would you plan to take for each of those locations to ensure you didn't get stuck needing cash when a credit card won't suffice? I assume a mix of 20s and smaller bills to be covered?

Thanks for your time!

John

1 hour ago, Special Ed said:

How much would you plan to take for each of those locations to ensure you didn't get stuck needing cash when a credit card won't suffice? I assume a mix of 20s and smaller bills to be covered?

Thanks for your time!

John

Another point to consider is not to bring ashore the same credit card you use for your shipboard account. Less hassles if you have to cancel the card used on shore because of fraudulent activity.

• Like 1

Magens Bay has float rentals, food, drinks and a gift shop.  As I recall they did want your driver's license as collateral to return the float and line to return them can be long.  We just pack inflatable noodles but their floats aren't bad.  You will need to pay for the cab and entrance fee if you are not on an excursion.  Driver tip if you are on an excursion.

Note that Crown Bay, the port Royal usually uses, has far fewer shopping opportunities than Havensight.  

5 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Another point to consider is not to bring ashore the same credit card you use for your shipboard account. Less hassles if you have to cancel the card used on shore because of fraudulent activity.

Very smart...I hadn't thought about that. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Another good tip is to take a picture, on your and significant other's phone,  of all the credit cards and DL and passports that you are traveling with.   If something bad happens you have a starting point.  

12 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Magens Bay has float rentals, food, drinks and a gift shop.  As I recall they did want your driver's license as collateral to return the float and line to return them can be long.  We just pack inflatable noodles but their floats aren't bad.  You will need to pay for the cab and entrance fee if you are not on an excursion.  Driver tip if you are on an excursion.

Note that Crown Bay, the port Royal usually uses, has far fewer shopping opportunities than Havensight.  

Thank you. We're on an excursion so some of that is covered. I appreciate the insight.

5 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

Another good tip is to take a picture, on your and significant other's phone,  of all the credit cards and DL and passports that you are traveling with.   If something bad happens you have a starting point.  

Great advice which I typically follow when traveling away from home. I appreciate the input.