Children's Clubs--How Do you Like?

DebC1954

I know Princess is not known for catering to kids. Just looking for information and tried the search and didn't find what I wanted. First time Princess cruiser here. Will be on Regal Princess in January and will have my 9-YO grandson that I have custody of with me and my son (not his father) -- 26. Previously cruised on Carnival and he liked the kids clubs there. Will grandson have a similar Experience on Princess? Better or worse? And I understand they're open on port days? Thanks for any information. 

29 minutes ago, DebC1954 said:

I know Princess is not known for catering to kids. Just looking for information and tried the search and didn't find what I wanted. First time Princess cruiser here. Will be on Regal Princess in January and will have my 9-YO grandson that I have custody of with me and my son (not his father) -- 26. Previously cruised on Carnival and he liked the kids clubs there. Will grandson have a similar Experience on Princess? Better or worse? And I understand they're open on port days? Thanks for any information. 

They're open all days, he'll have a great time. Princess clubs on the Royal class ships have so much go do with the kids. 

4 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

They're open all days, he'll have a great time. Princess clubs on the Royal class ships have so much go do with the kids. 

Can you give a few examples?  Is it like summer camp? How much adult supervision/ interaction?

I’m taking a 12 year old and 8 year old next June.  The 8 year old likes tabletop activities.  She’s into crafts and art and learning to sew. The 12 year old has his face in a tablet when he’s not physically active.  I think they’ll both be in the same age group.

Our first experience with the kids' club was on the Caribbean Princess this summer.  Our 8 1/2 year old granddaughter initially said she wasn't interested in it.  At the pool one day about half way thru the 7 day cruise she met a slightly older girl who sang its praises.  She tried it that afternoon and went back for the entire next day (a sea day) and had a wonderful time.  She rates it *****!

My son had the best time at the kids club this past May--he was 4.5 years old at the time but all age level groups were wonderful. It is the Discovery kids club and everyday there are different activities, crafts, movies, themes, pajama nights, video games, playhouse, etc. 

They are open during Port days but only during certain hours (you need to sign up the day before for port days). We were on an Alaska itinerary and they have wonderful Alaska-themed activities and even had a Glacier Bay park ranger come on board during the day. 

My son did not want to leave and had a much better time than he did on another cruise line (NCL's) kids club. 

They also give each parent a pager which is great for peace of mind.

I did a pretty detailed review which I will find and post here.

• Like 1

My son likes the kids clubs on board, he's been in every age group and this time will be in the teen age group for the first time. He likes the parties, movie nights and video games. For the younger kids, when he was 8 he was at the top of the age group for the younger kids and was sort of bored so they let him go into the next higher level. He enjoys the activities, they make t-shirts, decorate cookies and eat them, and other fun optional activities. Note that at age 8 I think you can opt to let your child sign themselves out of the kids club or not, depends on your child's ability to navigate the boat to find you! They close during lunch on sea days but stay open for lunch and serve the kids on port days. The staff is engaging and the spaces are really nicely done.