Time in the afternoon to avoid the most crowds at Magen's Bay?

Sun Lover

We will be on a cruise in a few weeks and want to visit Magen's Bay and Mountain Top while we're in St. Thomas.  Unfortunately, our ship doesn't dock in St. Thomas that day until 12:30.  We had originally planned to go to Magen's Bay in the morning to avoid the crowds but when we realized we won't dock until 12:30, we don't know if we should go as soon as we get off the ship or wait until later in the afternoon, maybe around 3 p.m.  Do you think it will be so crowded it won't even be enjoyable?  Will it be hard to get chairs and/or umbrellas?

10 hours ago, Sun Lover said:

We will be on a cruise in a few weeks and want to visit Magen's Bay and Mountain Top while we're in St. Thomas.  Unfortunately, our ship doesn't dock in St. Thomas that day until 12:30.  We had originally planned to go to Magen's Bay in the morning to avoid the crowds but when we realized we won't dock until 12:30, we don't know if we should go as soon as we get off the ship or wait until later in the afternoon, maybe around 3 p.m.  Do you think it will be so crowded it won't even be enjoyable?  Will it be hard to get chairs and/or umbrellas?

It all depends on how many ships are in port that day and the time they leave. For example, my ship will be there from 7am to 3pm, obviously I will leave the beach at 1:30 at the latest. If all ships have that schedule that day, the beach will be empty by 2 or 2:30 so you would have the beach for yourself then in the afternoon.

And it is always hard to get chairs and umbrella at Megans if it is crowded even just a bit, the rental place is not the best...

Thanks for replying.  I looked it up and there are 4 ships in port that day, including ours.  Two of the ships are much smaller than ours and they depart at 4:00 and 5:00.  I'm hoping a majority of those people will leave by 2:30 or 3:00 so I think we'll plan on getting there then.  I just hope we'll be able to get chairs and umbrellas. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t see a 4-ship port day on the VINow schedule until Nov 15 but that doesn’t mean anything. You didn’t mention when the 3rd ship (larger?) departs but you should be fine arriving at 3 or after…If docked at Crown Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is another option…