"Must do" excursions

Marronnier

I'm currently considering a 14 day Alaskan cruise, in September, from Vancouver to Whittier/College Fjords and return to Vancouver with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. I will have a limited budget for excursions but would like to do one or two. I would be particularly interested in viewing the wildlife of Alaska. 

I would be most grateful for any suggestions on excursions (either self-organized or packaged) that you would regard as 'must do'.

Thank you

Holland America has a 14 day cruise in September that goes to many more ports.  They also have the same itinerary in May.  Both “shoulder season” cruises that cruise round trip Vancouver.  Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway are standard Alaska ports for most cruise lines.

You didn’t say what cruise line you are considering.

Go to the cruise line's website and find the excursions they have for Alaska.   They will always have the popular options.  Now you do not have to go through the cruise line, but you can get ideas.

For instance.   Whale Watching in Juneau is big.  But there are many local companies that will charge less or have less people on the boat.  So seeing all the whale watching options on the cruise line shows it is very popular and now you can research.  Many stick with the cruise line due to the security of them promising to not leave the port until the tour returns.  But you generally pay more.

But you can get ideas after seeing what the cruise lines offer in those ports.

This will also allow you to see approximate prices and see what is in your budget.   Juneau has a helicopter ride to a glacier and dog sledding.  Sounds awesome.  But it is pricy.  If you see that price and go, next!   I understand.  I did the same thing.  It is still sounds like a cool thing, but I will survive without it.

@Marronnier we are frequent alaskan cruisers and have done many self guided excursions as well as ship excursions.  With minimal effort you should see lots of wildlife every day, but as mentioned a whale watch out of Juneau is always a good choice, and you should be able to get a decent price walking off the boat, the vendors are right there  

I would like to suggest, and it depends on your cruise line, the following:

Ketchikan- the Blackbird Hovercraft Eco Tour.  Reasonable price for what you experience, saw lots of seals, eagles, other birds, and a few whales.  Highlight was scooting up on a beach and walking about.

Juneau - 5 Glacier floatplane tour with lunch at Taku Glacier lodge.  OK this one is expensive, but a life experience.  Check the YouTube video Wings Airways has, it sums it up.  Highly recommend. 

Skagway - the White Pass rail tour.  Finally did this one and was better than I expected.  On our sailing one of the options was for rail, then bus trip to the Yukon.  Long 8 hour day but just worth it.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 2:42 AM, Marronnier said:

Thank you for this helpful information. @lobsternight what wildlife might you expect to see during the Juneau Glacier floatplane  tour and the Skagway rail tour.

Sorry for a late reply.  Well wildlife is always hit and miss.  Obviously always the usual culprits at every port: Eagles, ravens, seals.  The Skagway rail tour is all about the beauty of nature and the engineering marvel of the railway.

On the taku lodge 5 glacier tour I guess our highlights for animals was a black bear at the lodge (snuck over to a chair and took someone's coffee), and mountain goats on a ridge on the flight back to Juneau