Booking excursions (and dining) on last-minute bookings

SusanDK

I'm considering a first Regent cruise for my husband and me. I love the sound of the smaller ships, all-inclusive nature, etc. and have been reading about all the excursion options that are included. 

We are not pre-planners so would likely be booking something last-minute, i.e. looking now for maybe November / December, and most likely a Caribbean itinerary from a Florida port. Since we will be booking late, will we still be able to get a selection of the included (no-fee) excursions? This is one of the benefits that appeals to me most and many of the included excursions sound wonderful, but I wouldn't want to discover that they are all fully booked by the time we book our trip and/or arrive on board. Are these usually available once on board? 

From what I can see, most of the dining venues do not require reservations. For any that do require a reservation, is it difficult to get these if not reserving pre-boarding?

Thank you!

43 minutes ago, SusanDK said:

I'm considering a first Regent cruise for my husband and me. I love the sound of the smaller ships, all-inclusive nature, etc. and have been reading about all the excursion options that are included. 

We are not pre-planners so would likely be booking something last-minute, i.e. looking now for maybe November / December, and most likely a Caribbean itinerary from a Florida port. Since we will be booking late, will we still be able to get a selection of the included (no-fee) excursions? This is one of the benefits that appeals to me most and many of the included excursions sound wonderful, but I wouldn't want to discover that they are all fully booked by the time we book our trip and/or arrive on board. Are these usually available once on board? 

From what I can see, most of the dining venues do not require reservations. For any that do require a reservation, is it difficult to get these if not reserving pre-boarding?

Thank you!

It's going to be tough booking only a few months out as people book excursions up to a year out and dining up to 90 days out.  However just a few comments. For dining, Compass Rose and Sette Mari (the Italian restaurant) are no reservable.  So depending on ship you're looking at one - three specialty restaurants that are reservable, and depending on the length of the cruise you could probably get in at some point by trying once on board. 

Now, for Shore Excursions.  They often come open last minute as people change their minds.  But one thing you can do is put a 5 day hold (was 7 but the other day I only got 5 days) on the cruise.  That will hold the price and cabin and allow you to decide.  BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY it will give you  a booking number and you can enter into your "my account" section under "booked cruises" and since both excursion and dining booking are open you can go and see what's available for booking.  It won't let you actually select them but will show what shore excursions are available and what dining reservations might be available, then you can decide if you want to book the cruise or not.  If so, simply pay the deposit (or full amount if that close to sailing) then go back and make your choices.  If you feel you don't want to book you can cancel or simply let the "hold" drop. 

• Like 1

I am not contradicting papaflamingo as they have far more experience than me and give very good advice! 

I think there may be more excursions available on a Caribbean cruise. I have a Miami to Miami Western Caribbean booked for January 2024. To give you an idea I logged onto my account to see what tour/excursions are still available today. Some excursions are fully booked or waitlisted, but there are plenty still available on every day, including dolphin swims, reef snorkels, tours to ruins etc. 

My parents have cruised with Regent for many years and until this year were blissfully unaware of pre-cruise restaurant reservations! They have always been able to obtain on-board reservations, subject to being flexible about dates and timings.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, cruisevirgin24 said:

I am not contradicting papaflamingo as they have far more experience than me and give very good advice! 

I think there may be more excursions available on a Caribbean cruise. I have a Miami to Miami Western Caribbean booked for January 2024. To give you an idea I logged onto my account to see what tour/excursions are still available today. Some excursions are fully booked or waitlisted, but there are plenty still available on every day, including dolphin swims, reef snorkels, tours to ruins etc. 

My parents have cruised with Regent for many years and until this year were blissfully unaware of pre-cruise restaurant reservations! They have always been able to obtain on-board reservations, subject to being flexible about dates and timings.

Not to worry, I'm married, I'm used to being contradicted. 🤣

Seriously, you bring up a very good point.  I just looked at our cruise in 2 months in the Caribbean and there are also a lot of excursions available.  I think that must have to do with the fact that there are so m any cruises to the Caribbean that there are many, many excursion options and companies. 😎 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That was our experience on three BToB cruise to the Caribbean over last Christmas and NYs. We booked two cruises about three months out and got all the tours we wanted except one. We originally booked one in each port and only one first choice was not available. Actually it worked out because we loved the second Choice. We actually cancel sone tours because a tour a day was just too much! I would not worry about dinning and tour spots. I emended was able to get two different cooking reservations about 6 weeks out.

• Like 2

And just like that ... 

I snooze, I lose. The two cruises I was looking at in Nov/Dec are now completely sold out. There was a bit of availability earlier this week when I started looking, but now gone. 

Advance planning is not our strong suit - well, it could be mine, but my husband is very spontaneous and cannot even discuss something like this so far ahead of time. 

Anyway ... how likely is it for suites to open up closer in when a cruise is showing 'waitlisted' one-two months out? Is there a certain time prior to departure when cancellations generally occur (e.g. before final payment is due?). Does one need to place a deposit to waitlist?

Apologies for these questions, we are not experienced cruisers.

Your TA can find out how many are on the waitlist ahead of you for your preferred Suite category, then you can decide if you want to go for it. To be taken seriously, you need to make a deposit. 
Most who cancel will do so before final payment date, but even after that some more will drop off before embarkation. It’s an older demographic and life happens!

Good luck!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Also consider sisterline Oceania. Not as over the top fabulous as Regent, but a good premium line. They have a sale going currently….

Check out the Oceania forum on CC for tips and  ideas.

Thank you. Oceania is also on my short list based on my research, so good to know I'm on the right track. The biggest issue for me is that I want to leave from a Florida port (avoid flying to Caribbean), prefer the eastern (or southern) Caribbean, but also don't want too long of a trip (10-12 days ok, but prefer not to stretch it to 14+ days). So my itineraries appear to be limited.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to book further in advance than desired but also need to read about when we can cancel at no (or minimum) cost.

Edited by SusanDK

26 minutes ago, SusanDK said:

Thank you. Oceania is also on my short list based on my research, so good to know I'm on the right track. The biggest issue for me is that I want to leave from a Florida port (avoid flying to Caribbean), prefer the eastern (or southern) Caribbean, but also don't want too long of a trip (10-12 days ok, but prefer not to stretch it to 14+ days). So my itineraries appear to be limited.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to book further in advance than desired but also need to read about when we can cancel at no (or minimum) cost.

Here is a link to the cancellation schedule for Regent.  For 14 nights or less, depending on cabin category, you're looking at risking $100 per person until Final Payment at 120 days prior to the cruise.  AND I believe that $100 is usable for Future Cruise Credit if you book within a year. 

https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/general-reservations-questions

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Here is a link to the cancellation schedule for Regent.  For 14 nights or less, depending on cabin category, you're looking at risking $100 per person until Final Payment at 120 days prior to the cruise.  AND I believe that $100 is usable for Future Cruise Credit if you book within a year. 

https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/general-reservations-questions

If I’m not mistaken, Oceania recently changed the cancellation policy so that it is no longer applicable to a future cruise. I hope I am wrong.

Edited by PhD-iva
Edit

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

If I’m not mistaken, Oceania recently changed the cancellation policy so that it is no longer applicable to a future cruise. I hope I am wrong.

Just to clarify, I was referring to Oceania‘s cancellation policy. I’m not as familiar with Regent.

• Like 1