Book Club

TowandaUK

I think I read a while ago that some sailings have a book club. This intrigues me. Is this just for specific voyages such as transatlantic crossings or on all sailings? Are books announced beforehand?  I’m not a rapid reader and may need to have a head start if participating. 

It does ring a bell, I think I have seen something like this in the past. But looking through my most recent Daily Programmes I can't see any reference to one as such. There are cruises which have a book theme to them, notably the 19 November 2023 crossing on QM2 from Southampton, and looking at the blurb this is a suggestion that there may be some book club style meet-ups. There are also things like the Royal Shakespeare Company events, where workshops include some text discussion.

In a way I'm a bit surprised Cunard doesn't do this in some form, it could be very cheap for them to offer this facility, and could be a wonderful piece of fellowship.

14 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

It does ring a bell, I think I have seen something like this in the past. But looking through my most recent Daily Programmes I can't see any reference to one as such. There are cruises which have a book theme to them, notably the 19 November 2023 crossing on QM2 from Southampton, and looking at the blurb this is a suggestion that there may be some book club style meet-ups. There are also things like the Royal Shakespeare Company events, where workshops include some text discussion.

In a way I'm a bit surprised Cunard doesn't do this in some form, it could be very cheap for them to offer this facility, and could be a wonderful piece of fellowship.

If there is a Book Club happening, look in the library or the book shop for details. That's where I have found out about any Book Club sessions.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I suspect this has not happened since the Covid stoppage. After all, they no longer seem to employ librarians.

I was under the impression various crew members staffed the library rather than actual librarians. I knew more about authors than staff on a few occasions after overhearing conversations between staff and passengers.

11 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I was under the impression various crew members staffed the library rather than actual librarians. I knew more about authors than staff on a few occasions after overhearing conversations between staff and passengers.

Precisely.

3 hours ago, TowandaUK said:

I think I read a while ago that some sailings have a book club. This intrigues me. Is this just for specific voyages such as transatlantic crossings or on all sailings? Are books announced beforehand?  I’m not a rapid reader and may need to have a head start if participating. 

You might track down your voyage's Roll Call and propose one ...

Thanks for the suggestions. I think it’s quite possible that covid may have put a stop to it. 
The roll call could have been a good idea but there are very few on ours and I seem to have been the only one posting on it for quite a while. I’ll probably leave it until nearer sailing and see if the roll call has livened up by then. 
Thanks all.