Santiago to Puerto Williams Charter Flight

machotspur

Mrs machotspur and I are embarking Silver Endeavour at the end of this month for a round trip cruise from Puerto Williams, visiting the Falklands, South Georgia & Antarctica.

We've just received details of the charter flight down to Puerto Williams. I'm assuming there are 2 flights that depart Santiago as the planes only hold around 100 passengers but Silver Endeavour accommodates around 200.

Our departure from Santiago is at 13:00 - 14:00 with an arrival at Puerto Williams of 17:00 - 18:00.  Does anyone who has experience of the charter have any idea as to the typical timing of what I am assuming is two flights each sailing ? i.e. has a flight left significantly earlier than us - and will they therefore be nicely settled in well before we arrive, or do both flights depart within the 13:00 - 14:00 window ?

I have to admit that i'm a bit grumpy at the prospect of going through the embarkation/checking in of 100 people/waiting for luggage to be delivered at 19:00 ish - but I guess I will get over it once I had my first glass or three of champagne.

Usually there are at least 3 planes. They don't fill the middle seats. They stagger the departures over a couple of hours. You might be on the first flight. They return the disembarking passengers in the morning. 

• Thanks 1

There were 4 flights in January, that are staggered.  These planes will bring back to Santiago the guest on the prior cruise, and turn around and head back with the new passengers.  IIRC your time slot would be the first or second plane.  I was on the last flight, and we needed to stop in Punta Arenas as we were running low on fuel(not uncommon), due to a strong head wind, and arrived at the ship around 8pm.  FYI, Puerto Williams has an incredible short runway, so planes need to take off with a minimum fuel load.  And then stop in Punta Arenas for fuel, before heading for a Santiago.

• Thanks 2

Just to throw in a curve ball on our flight to P. Williams in March we had to divert to Punta Arenas due to bad landing conditions in P. Williams.   We were advised of the diversion about 45 minutes before we were due to land in P. Williams.    We landed and within 45 minutes we were on buses to a hotel where they already had our information and just handed out room keys, they advised us dinner would be served in an hour and it was.   We ate a pleasant supper with wine included, had a good nights sleep, good breakfast then went back to the air field around mid day and flew on to P. Williams.   I have no idea what happened to the incoming cruise pax.   We left P. Williams within an hour or so of boarding and were able to enjoy a daylight trip down the Beagle Channel where there was an amazing array of wildlife both in the water and in the air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, labrasett said:

Just to throw in a curve ball on our flight to P. Williams in March we had to divert to Punta Arenas due to bad landing conditions in P. Williams.   We were advised of the diversion about 45 minutes before we were due to land in P. Williams.    We landed and within 45 minutes we were on buses to a hotel where they already had our information and just handed out room keys, they advised us dinner would be served in an hour and it was.   We ate a pleasant supper with wine included, had a good nights sleep, good breakfast then went back to the air field around mid day and flew on to P. Williams.   I have no idea what happened to the incoming cruise pax.   We left P. Williams within an hour or so of boarding and were able to enjoy a daylight trip down the Beagle Channel where there was an amazing array of wildlife both in the water and in the air.

This really goes to show, weather will rules everything about one’s trip to Antarctica.  Be prepared to be flexible, patient, and enjoy the experience,

• Like 3

Thank you alithecat, Tex1, labrasett - that's really interesting insight.

Having been forced to cancel this trip several times in the past few years we are very much 'on tenterhooks' with regard to this trip actually taking place unhindered. 😟. Fingers crossed !

Mmmm .. 'on tenterhooks' - is this a phrase that is only of meaning in certain nations ? 🤔

17 hours ago, machotspur said:

Thank you alithecat, Tex1, labrasett - that's really interesting insight.

Having been forced to cancel this trip several times in the past few years we are very much 'on tenterhooks' with regard to this trip actually taking place unhindered. 😟. Fingers crossed !

Mmmm .. 'on tenterhooks' - is this a phrase that is only of meaning in certain nations ? 🤔

I had never heard the expression "on tenterhooks" but I do enjoy learning about different expressions and sayings. That's one of the great things about cruising...meeting people from around the world and learning about their homeland and customs.

We have started the final countdown and are looking forward to meeting you.

Heather and Fred

Atlanta, Georgia...but originally New Jersey

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jonesy333 said:

On a different subject but for the same cruise that we are doing in Feb 24 when did you apply for visa and how long did it take to arrive ?

Thanks 

Jacqui

Visas are not required for Antarctica, Falklands & South Georgia - the cruise company have to organise permits for the cruise ship I believe.

For Chile - Santiago & Puerto Williams - UK & USA passport holders do not need a visa but I understand that Australian passport holders do need a visa. Most of the posters I have seen commenting on the cruise that departs in a couple of weeks are UK & US - hopefully a fellow Aussie will be along soon with guidance for you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 5:28 PM, Jonesy333 said:

On a different subject but for the same cruise that we are doing in Feb 24 when did you apply for visa and how long did it take to arrive ?

Thanks 

Jacqui

Hi Jacqui

We are on a sailing on the 1st of December, we applied for our visas on the 5th of September and are yet to receive them.  I have rung the embassy and they are chasing them up. We still have time but I hope we get them soon.

On 10/12/2023 at 10:28 AM, Jonesy333 said:

Thanks 

Jacqui

I applied for my Chilean visa a couple of weeks ago.  However, a friend was told by the Melbourne consulate that visas are only processed the month before they are needed.  I am flying to Santiago mid-December.  I am now awaiting the invoice for payment, which will mean my application was in order. 🤞

• Like 1