Candy straws?

sleepless

On 10/13/2023 at 4:51 PM, Keksie said:

Plus windmills on land kill birds including eagles.  Windmills along our coasts are killing and stranding marine mammals.

How much sea life is killed by getting rammed by cruise ships?  I bet no-one really knows the exact figures, because I also bet no-one voluntarily reports that, but it is reported that 20,000 whales are killed by ships (all types) per year: 

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/23641422/whales-ship-strikes-climate-change-douglas-mccauley-benioff-laboratory 

Halting all cruising (which is totally a recreational activity) would have to have some impact there.

Everything is a trade-off.  Hydroelectric dams destroy salmon runs and drown entire valleys.  Nuclear energy is great until you need somewhere to put that waste.  Solar energy uses up a lot of real estate, costs a lot to manufacture (not sure of the energy payback times similar to what @aborgman noted for windmills), don't work everywhere/always, and have difficult-to-recycle materials.  Fossil fuels are (by definition) ultimately limited in supply, relatively dirty, adversely affect the environment where they are "mined", and are otherwise problematic.  Windmills might be the best solution for now.  Or not.  :shrug:

Any way...back to the straw (man) argument!

On 10/13/2023 at 1:51 PM, Keksie said:

Plus windmills on land kill birds including eagles.  Windmills along our coasts are killing and stranding marine mammals.

They banned the smaller blade windmills out here in favor of larger slower ones.  The intent was to reduce bird strikes.  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:52 PM, kona_wahine said:

I just bought a 100 package PAPER straws on Amazon. Please don’t take plastic, there’s a reason Carnival quit using them. Reusable or paper only. 

They stopped using them because they were being thrown in with the food waste and not being separated. That’s on them for not following proper procedures and dumping them into the ocean! If I bring a straw in the ship and toss it away in my cabin trash there’s no risk of it making it into the ocean! 

• Like 1