Powerchair access in Rome

Babynan

Hi all. I hop someone can give me some advice. My wife and I are looking at a 14 night cruise to the Mediterranean next July on the Anthem of the Seas. I can walk short distances, but normally use a Powerchair. Can anyone tell me if the Train from Civitavecchia can take a folding powerchair, and also, what is it like getting around Rome. Any help and suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

James

Civitavecchia Train Station | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

You can request assistance at Civitavecchia, but as detailed on the website you need to request assistance beforehand.  At Termini there is also assistance.  With that said I'm adding the following based on DH's experience this last summer with his folding power wheelchair, and/or previous experience with the train.  

First, the train can be packed - remember, you and the majority of everyone else on your cruise will be heading into Rome within a limited time.  Please book ahead on a train with reserved seats, and handicap seats!  Be prepared - assistance may not show up, and you may have to lift your chair into the train (can be two steep steps).  DH's chair is one of the new light weight chairs (48 lbs).  While we didn't use the train out of Civitavecchia, we did use the train for travel between Florence-Venice-Rome and ended up having to load the chair ourselves several times.  Luckily for me our GD (young, athletic) was traveling with us or else I don't think I would have gotten the chair onboard.  Then once on-board finding a place to store was impossible - book one of the handicap seats as there will be room there.  

DH said if he had to spend a lot of time in Rome, he'd develop kidney issues from the cobblestones.  🤪 We were there for about two weeks, and he got to the point where he went without his chair as the bumping/jarring from the cobblestones was just too much for him.  Plus, the crowds pretty much impede your progress - keep in mind during the summer the streets/sidewalks are packed.

You might consider checking your roll call to see if there's anyone looking to join them on a private excursion to Rome.  It will get you in close proximity to the sights with limited walking distances and can store your chair when not needed.   

When you refer to "the train from Civi"  are you referring to the Express Train for cruise pax that only goes to SanPietro or Ostiense ?   

Or do you mean any train and you have a particular station in mind?

You might want to browse through the Sage Travels web site for their take on accessible travel in Rome.  I noticed there was a section on travel from Civi .

Rome Accessible Travel for Disabled Visitors (sagetraveling.com)

17 hours ago, Babynan said:

and also, what is it like getting around Rome

Be aware that in Europe cobblestones are not unique to Rome and you can expect to find them in many cities and towns, especially the more historic ones. They can be difficult to walk on (slippier) on sunnier days but worse if they are wet after rain.

On 10/21/2023 at 9:41 PM, Babynan said:

Hi all. I hop someone can give me some advice. My wife and I are looking at a 14 night cruise to the Mediterranean next July on the Anthem of the Seas. I can walk short distances, but normally use a Powerchair. Can anyone tell me if the Train from Civitavecchia can take a folding powerchair, and also, what is it like getting around Rome. Any help and suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

James

In the middle of summer the tourist sites are packed and it is soooo hot.  I would have thought that the shoulder seasons might be more comfortable.   I would have thought that travelling to Rome by a coach tour would be easier.  

There is a board “Disabled cruise travel” that might offer insight.