Will a non snorkler miss out in Galapagos?

Kittycat

We are busy planning a trip to Galapagos on Xpedition for 2007 and had thought about learning to snorkle, although as we are both spectacle wearers, this did put us off a bit, but we were going to give it a try. However, on a recent review I read about a snorkler who was absolutely thrilled at seeing a moray eel!!! I don't think I could cope with that, I was just thinking of seeing a few harmless fish and the like, but if we don't snorkle, will be be missing a great deal and is there anything for us to do while the snorklers do their thing.

We only returned from the Galapagos four weeks ago and neither myself nor my husband snorkle and yet we still saw a lot of the marine life underwater due to the glass bottom boats.

Also one day the snorklers found the water to be not so clear. We enjoyed a swim that day while they were trying to see what was down below.

Jennie

Kittycat, My wife and I were on the Xpedition in November 2005. The Xpedition does NOT have glass bottom boats. On our cruise we had about 80 people. Of those I'd say about 30 - 40 snorkled. Nobody who didn't snorkle complained. What you have to remember is that the waters of the Galapagos are much colder than the Caribbean (typically 70 - 72 degrees in November). Although there are a lot of fish, most are not the colorful fish you see in the Caribbean. On the other hand you get to snorkle with sea lions and with sharks and with turtles. I didn't see any moray eels, but everyone's experience is different.

Note: I have -6.50 prescription in both eyes with high astigmatism correction, ie. blind in one eye and can't see out the other. I bought a snorkel mask and had prescription lenses made for them. It cost about $125, but it was definitely worth it for me.

Whether you snorkel or not... whether you go on the Xpedition or with Lindblad, you WILL enjoy the Galapagos Islands!!!

Dave

• 1 month later...

On our trip, lots of the people went snorkling at the beaches. Snorkeling off the beach is usually at the end of the excursion (ie. you've already gone on a hike and then you return to the beach). If you chose not to snorkel at the beaches, you can swim, stay on the beach or return early to the ship. Only 16 or so probably for each of the advanced snorkeling. Snorkeling was probably the highlight of our trip. It's definitely different than snorkeling in the Caribbean. The water is not as clear and for the advanced snorkeling, you will need to deal with strong currents. In general the underwater scenery is not as spectacular as the Caribbean but we had the opportunity to swim with sea lions, turtles, iguanas, sharks and penguins to name a few. My DH and I both wore contact lenses during snorkeling and we had no problems but do recommend getting a mask that fits well.

Linda

Archived