Problem checking gift card balance on Princess site

chubbypiggy

I like to check my Princess gift cards balance about once a month to make sure everything is okay.  Never had a problem in the past to check balances.  Yesterday, I went to the Princess site, clicked on "Balance Inquiry", and instead of the "usual" screen asking for my gift numbers and pin, I got a screen with error message:  HTTP ERROR 403, "The service you requested is restricted, not available to your browser".  Tried on Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.  All returned with the same message.  Tried again today, and still the same error message.

Any of you had the same problem?  Thank you.

Error 403 is a "logic" problem with the web page, most likely an error in connecting to the database to look up your card balance. Just more poor programming and lack of testing of code on the part of Princess! They will likely get it resolved soon... maybe!

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Error 403 is a "logic" problem with the web page, most likely an error in connecting to the database to look up your card balance. Just more poor programming and lack of testing of code on the part of Princess! They will likely get it resolved soon... maybe!

Thank you for the explanation.  I need to pay my final payment in 2 weeks, and just want to make sure all the cards still have the correct balance before I call my CVP to pay.  Read on CC that many people experienced problem with card balance change to zero amount for unknown reason.

1 hour ago, dweeb said:

Couldn't use a gift card on the ship (Crown) this week.  They claimed the system was down and nothing the ship could do about it.

I hope Princess will fix the problem soon because I need to make final payment in 2 weeks and I bought a lot of gift cards for that cruise.  

13 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I hope Princess will fix the problem soon because I need to make final payment in 2 weeks and I bought a lot of gift cards for that cruise.  

I had this error trying to check the gift card balance. However, I did apply a bunch of gift cards to my balance online last week as my final payment is coming up and I had no problems. As long as you know what the amounts are, you should be ok...hopefully.... 🤪

3 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I had this error trying to check the gift card balance. However, I did apply a bunch of gift cards to my balance online last week as my final payment is coming up and I had no problems. As long as you know what the amounts are, you should be ok...hopefully.... 🤪

I usually called my Princess CVP to apply the gift cards.  This time I am thinking of doing it myself online.  I read on CC that if applying more than 10 cards at a time, there might be a problem.  Did you apply more than 10 cards at one time?   Thanks.

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

I usually called my Princess CVP to apply the gift cards.  This time I am thinking of doing it myself online.  I read on CC that if applying more than 10 cards at a time, there might be a problem.  Did you apply more than 10 cards at one time?   Thanks.

I used about 5 at a time. I just would always dawdle a bit between each one....just don't be using lightening fast keying skills and you should be fine!

2 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I used about 5 at a time. I just would always dawdle a bit between each one....just don't be using lightening fast keying skills and you should be fine!

I need to use about 21 cards ($500 each) for my final payment.  I wonder if it is okay to do just 7 cards, then log off,  then maybe an hour later, log in again to do another 7 cards, then log off again, and an hour later, log in again and do the remaining the 7 cards to pay off all the remaining balance? 

The issue at hand is not applying gift cards as payment...but the online gift card balance function.   Historically there has always been something of an issue when trying to apply several cards at once. The general "agreement" has been to not attempt any more than 5 at a time and wait a few minutes to apply more.

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I need to use about 21 cards ($500 each) for my final payment.  I wonder if it is okay to do just 7 cards, then log off,  then maybe an hour later, log in again to do another 7 cards, then log off again, and an hour later, log in again and do the remaining the 7 cards to pay off all the remaining balance? 

I think I would try it that way. It sounds like the issue people were having is that it couldn't keep up. As long as you do them slowly, it would be worth a try. I know some people are really good with a 10-key and probably type them in really quickly. It takes me longer to type numbers, so I'm guessing that's why I haven't had any problems....

I reported the problem over the phone and email.  When I called the number, the rep answered "Gift Card support".  After some research, I found that the gift cards are being handled by a third party.  Their website is "buyatab.com".  

While on the phone, I asked the rep if I could check on a gift card balance.  He said yes and asked me to read my card number.  I read it to the rep along with the pin.  He said it would take awhile to "come up".  After 20 secs or so, he said that the card showed a zero balance.  Instant panic!  I went back to the email and noticed I had redeemed that specific card so I found one that I knew had not been redeemed.  He checked it all it was fine!

I've been checking the link since Sunday afternoon, but it still gives an error.

3 hours ago, cruisevac4 said:

I reported the problem over the phone and email.  When I called the number, the rep answered "Gift Card support".  After some research, I found that the gift cards are being handled by a third party.  Their website is "buyatab.com".  

While on the phone, I asked the rep if I could check on a gift card balance.  He said yes and asked me to read my card number.  I read it to the rep along with the pin.  He said it would take awhile to "come up".  After 20 secs or so, he said that the card showed a zero balance.  Instant panic!  I went back to the email and noticed I had redeemed that specific card so I found one that I knew had not been redeemed.  He checked it all it was fine!

I've been checking the link since Sunday afternoon, but it still gives an error.

You called 1-833-907-3079 for the balance?   Thank you.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cruisevac4 said:

Yes.  I emailed princess@buyatab.com.  I received replies that the support staff would review the problem.

Thank you.  I plan to send them an email also.  Hopefully, if more people report the problem, they might work on it sooner.  🙂

I sent an email to princess@buytab.com and within 30 minutes, I received a reply from “info@buyatab.com”.  The email said they are sorry for the inconvenience and asked me to give them my gift cards’ number and pin number so they can check the balance for me.  I replied saying I mainly wanted to report the problem so someone at Princess or Buytab Support will investigate the problem and fix it.