Which Airport will N.C.L fly us into for our October 10 2024 Viva Cruise.

Toledosfinest

To all you experienced world travelers. My wife and I and 3 other couples are booked on the Viva for Oct 10 2024. We did the N.C.L air program like we have done on other N.C.L cruises. This cruise is a little different, and we need a bit of help. We chose to fly into " Venice Italy" 2 days before our cruise to see the city. We need to make hotel reservations for the 8 people going soon, but I'm wondering if N.C.L will fly us from Detroit to Marco Polo Airport in Venice, or to Trieste airport where we catch the ship. Since both airports are quite a distance away from each other, this could make a difference where we book our Hotel. We will be flying home from Athens Greece, so we know which airport that will be. Can our fellow Cruisecritics with prior knowledge help answer our Airport question.  Thank You.

By coincidence, we disembark the Escape on October 10, 2024 in Trieste!   So it's going to be a busy day if both Escape and Viva are there at the same time.   I investigated which airport to use on departure and yes,  Trieste does have an airport.   However the flights are regional such as Rome, Frankfurt (where we are connecting) etc.   So we booked our flights to leave from Marco Polo Airport allowing for lots of time to transfer from Trieste.   I would expect you will fly into Venice not Trieste from Detroit.    

As PP noted, TRS is a regional airport.  Coming from Detroit you would fly into VCE, probably thru Amsterdam or Paris.

Marco Polo isnt so far from Venice, only 20 minutes by taxi.  

Trieste Airport is 2 hrs from Venice.  If you're flying home from VCE don't plan a flight before noon.

I cruised in and out of Trieste last Oct. NCL offered transfers to/from VCE but not from Venice, so people who wanted the NCL transfer bussed or taxied back to VCE. 

We took the train to Trieste but used FlixBus to VCE after the cruise. 

17 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

As PP noted, TRS is a regional airport.  Coming from Detroit you would fly into VCE, probably thru Amsterdam or Paris.

It's a regional airport in a European sense. It has ITA flights from Rome and Milan and Lufthansa flights from Frankfurt. It's fair game for NCL Air. 

This is like the Quebec City vs. Montreal airport issue for cruises departing from Quebec City. You probably will get flown into Montreal despite the fact it's over two hours away.  

I'd book a cancellable hotel in both locations and cancel the one you don't need.

Edited by jules181

17 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Couldn't you request Venice from NCL air?

Nope. We can ask for our departing airport(Detroit), but not arrival airport. (Wiyh no guarantee  we will fly out of Detroit).It's a gamble you have to play with N.C.L air, but has worked out perfect with us in the past. The cost difference saves us quite a bit of money. We will make our Hotel reservations in Venice and keep our fingers crossed.

• Thanks 1