Tours in Juneau?

mimi01

I am sailing on the Star 5/7/2006 from Seattle. Arriving in Juneau at 5:00pm on 5/9 and departing at 10:00pm. Mt Roberts Tram is a possibility although I did that last year so would like something new. Any suggestions for a short tour would be appreciated. Going onto Skagway and looking at helicopter and hiking excursions. Would love to whale watch. I have been reading the boards but still looking for any suggestions that others experienced and thought were exceptional.

Mimi

I am sailing on the Star 5/7/2006 from Seattle. Arriving in Juneau at 5:00pm on 5/9 and departing at 10:00pm. Mt Roberts Tram is a possibility although I did that last year so would like something new. Any suggestions for a short tour would be appreciated. Going onto Skagway and looking at helicopter and hiking excursions. Would love to whale watch. I have been reading the boards but still looking for any suggestions that others experienced and thought were exceptional.

Mimi

Don't you get into Juneau 2pm?? Whale watching is my top tour here. But plenty more to consider. Even picking up a free walking tour map at the dock visitor center is a great option. :)

Budget Queen

I hope you are right. If we arrive in the afternoon then I definetly want to whale watch. I was looking at the NCL web site and they offer an evening whale watch. I would book that due to the time constraints, would be too nervous to book with an outside vendor with such a short visit. If arriving earlier then I will revisit Captain Larry whale watch. I printed up a schedule and it says arrive Dock Juneau 5:00. I will have to double check the time. I visited so many web sites before booking this trip that its possible I printed a schedule from another site. I get caught up in the excitement about going to Alaska and start overlooking important information. Thanks.

Don't you get into Juneau 2pm?? Whale watching is my top tour here. But plenty more to consider. Even picking up a free walking tour map at the dock visitor center is a great option. :)

Budget Queen, this particular Star cruise leaves Seattle quite late and has different port times in Juneau:

Sun DEPART SEATTLE, US 10:00 PM

Mon CRUISE 12:00 AM

Tue ARRIVE-DOCK JUNEAU, US 5:00 PM

Tue DEPART JUNEAU, US 10:00 PM

Wed ARRIVE-DOCK SKAGWAY, US 7:00 AM

Wed DEPART SKAGWAY, US 8:00 PM

Thu CRUISE 12:00 AM

Fri ARRIVE-DOCK KETCHIKAN, US 6:00 AM

Fri DEPART KETCHIKAN, US 1:30 PM

Sat ARRIVE-DOCK VICTORIA, CA 6:00 PM

Sat DEPART VICTORIA, CA 11:59 PM

Sun ARRIVE-DOCK SEATTLE, US 7:00 AM

Budget Queen, this particular Star cruise leaves Seattle quite late and has different port times in Juneau:

Sun DEPART SEATTLE, US 10:00 PM

Mon CRUISE 12:00 AM

Tue ARRIVE-DOCK JUNEAU, US 5:00 PM

Tue DEPART JUNEAU, US 10:00 PM

Wed ARRIVE-DOCK SKAGWAY, US 7:00 AM

Wed DEPART SKAGWAY, US 8:00 PM

Thu CRUISE 12:00 AM

Fri ARRIVE-DOCK KETCHIKAN, US 6:00 AM

Fri DEPART KETCHIKAN, US 1:30 PM

Sat ARRIVE-DOCK VICTORIA, CA 6:00 PM

Sat DEPART VICTORIA, CA 11:59 PM

Sun ARRIVE-DOCK SEATTLE, US 7:00 AM

Wow, those aren't very long port times except for Skagway.

brunlovr

Thanks for posting the schedule. I got my cruise docs today and confirmed the schedule. I am going to the NCL web site to see if the evening whale watch is available. I have read that Juneau is the best for this and just don't want to miss it. Last year when we visited Alaska that was my one adventure that I wish I had done. I feel silly admitting that we thought we would see plenty of whales on the cruise and saw none.

Does anyone know if their is a great whale watching tour in other ports in case we can't get on the Juneau tour?

Mimi

I am also on the 5/7 sailing of the Star, and I booked with Capt. Larry. He is aware of the Star schedule, so he adjusted his timeframe AND the usual cost to accomodate! So we will return to the ship at 9:00 instead of his usual 9:30.

>>Does anyone know if their is a great whale watching tour in other ports in case we can't get on the Juneau tour?<<

Unfortunately, not in the ports you're visiting - Sitka and Icy Strait Point are the two other great whale-watching ports.

Murray

Thanks to Kwcruiser & Yukon for the advice. I just booked with Captain Larry too. They confirmed that we will be one of 2 ships in port that night so no problem getting back on time. Its great that they could adjust the schedule. He said we may even arrive to the port early.

This is a very special trip for my son and I. This makes it even more exciting. Thanks again.

Mimi

If you can get out to the Juneau airport, you can save quite a bit of money on a seaplane tour. As a family of 6, we got a 1 hour seaplane tour for less than $100 each. They will work to combine smaller groups together to save everyone money. It was our best experience of the entire cruise. Check out our in flight pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/rowtyd/3 (Celebrity Summit Album #3). We landed on Glory Lake and had time to walk the shoreline before our flight back. It was worth every penny.

http://www.akseaplanes.com/

we rented a car from rent-a-wreck for the day and drove ourself to the airport. They picked us up free in early am. We returned the car to the parking lot adjoining the cruise dock for a small fee(I think it was $10) at the end of the day.

We will be in Juneau the last week in May. We would like to do a whale watching tour while there. Is Captain Larry one of the better options? Or would you recommend someone else. HAL has a whale watching tour for about the same price, but we don't like the tour time.

We will be in Juneau the last week in May. We would like to do a whale watching tour while there. Is Captain Larry one of the better options? Or would you recommend someone else. HAL has a whale watching tour for about the same price, but we don't like the tour time.

Orca Enterprises is an excellent tour operator. I have been a customer of theirs for years and one of my top recommended venders.

Allen Marine is also a good company is you want only to consider ship excursions. There is more than price to consider in Alaska, with far more personal attention with a smaller boat.

Archived