GLUTEN-FREE ON PRIMA & etc..

MaisonRose

I’m hoping some erstwhile NCL enthusiast out there can give me a picture of Gluten Free dining on Prima. I’m two weeks from boarding. I’ve had experience on other lines and for example have missed Gluten Free soups and crackers.

Other food questions

Does Sweet n Low  (pink packets) exist?
What brand of tea bags?  Buffet:  Is the hot water for tea hot enough?

…of course it isn’t overwhelming to bring these items if I must.

If you order room service for  just a pot of coffee in the morning, is there the service charge?

Thanks for helping: this is my second NCL CRUISE but the last time GF wasn’t an issue.

I know this is not going to answer your Prima questions, but you can always fill out the form at https://nclh.my.salesforce-sites.com/AccessDeskForm/

If you do this at least 45 days prior to sailing, letting them know what you need, then they will have it for you. Other lines will tell me what's in the food and let me choose from what doesn't have my allergens in it. On NCL, because I give them a heads up, I'm able to see the menus the night before and if they can, they make me allergy-free versions of food. (Like if I wanted lamb but it was herb crusted, they made me lamb without herbs but with horseradish sauce.)

Filling out the form means you get to meet and know the Maitre D' and assistance Maitre D's, as well. They will meet with you on the first day, go over everything, etc. 

The buffet hot water and MDR hot water on the Escape was hot enough to make tea. I had brought my own, since I'm allergic to most teas but not to Twinings Green. I would assume the hot water machine on the Prima is the same.

I don't know about the room service charge for coffee delivery, but you could request a 'hot shot' coffee maker in your cabin and make it there. I believe there is no charge for continental breakfast, but it could cost for gratuities. I could also be wrong.

The one issue you could have is on disembarkation day, when the kitchens are very limited.

NCL has always been the best at taking care of my food issues. I hope they do good by you. And after you go, do a report and mention if they have Sweet and Low and how they did with GF stuff.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MaisonRose said:

I’m hoping some erstwhile NCL enthusiast out there can give me a picture of Gluten Free dining on Prima. I’m two weeks from boarding. I’ve had experience on other lines and for example have missed Gluten Free soups and crackers.

Other food questions

Does Sweet n Low  (pink packets) exist?
What brand of tea bags?  Buffet:  Is the hot water for tea hot enough?

…of course it isn’t overwhelming to bring these items if I must.

If you order room service for  just a pot of coffee in the morning, is there the service charge?

Thanks for helping: this is my second NCL CRUISE but the last time GF wasn’t an issue.

Lipton tea, included flavored teas. Water is hot enough for hot tea. 

You will incur a $4.95 charge for coffee in the morning. 

Can't tell you anything about gluten free. When search resumes on Cruise Critic, look up "gluten free" in the search. Lots of posters have mentioned their experiences onboard. Seems the buffet is not a good choice, but other dining venues are.

See you onboard Pr1ma! 

Let them know ahead of time, it will be noted on your reservation and the dietary manager will find you in the MDR after you board to go over details. My daughter ordered breakfast and dinner the night before. Even if you choose to dine in the buffet your food will arrive at your table. They have a lot of gluten free options. My daughter just winged it in the buffet for lunch because she ate with her new friends, and being a teen on our last cruise didn’t want a tray deliver in the buffet.

• Like 2

Thank you. I have given GF notice  when booking. I’ll go to the MDR after boarding & check out the situation.

The worst GF help was on the Queen Mary, the best on RCL so far.

i think basically the situation continues to improve (along with the staff’s attitude.) I will definitely write it up in this form.

About tea: there’s hot water and then there’s HOT WATER and MSC SEASIDE WINS THAT ONE. They have a temperature controlled server and I never saw a steam flower on the top of the cup (indulge me, I realize that it’s picky). A proper cuppa is important to some of us.

2 minutes ago, MaisonRose said:

About tea: there’s hot water and then there’s HOT WATER and MSC SEASIDE WINS THAT ONE. They have a temperature controlled server and I never saw a steam flower on the top of the cup (indulge me, I realize that it’s picky). A proper cuppa is important to some of us.

Picky, picky! I didn't realize I had to be so specific. The water is not quite boiling, so I suppose you'll be disappointed if having the black or herbal tea. You'll need to cool it down slightly for green tea. 

I would much prefer loose leaf tea, especially Lapsang Souchong, but alas, I understand that's a pipe dream onboard. Real cream would be nice too. I'll stick to my Tea Forte teas in my stateroom and the occasional tea in the thermal suite. 

…..reply

would much prefer loose leaf tea, especially Lapsang , but alas, I understand that's a pipe dream onboard. Real cream would be nice too. I'll stick to my Tea Forte teas in my stateroom and the occasional tea in the thermal suite. 

I think that’s a solid plan. 
And I’ll check out the Thermal Suite, too. Tea brands IMHO really shine depending on the water you’re using and for example at home in Md. Bigelow is my brand while here in France (calcium laden water) I use Lord Nelson. But the water must boil. I’ve never had tea at Starbucks so that…well, the fact is that tea isn’t going to ruin my happiness to be sailing across the sea!