Embarkation at Pier 27--SF--How Early is Too Early?

SuzieQ521

Posted in West Coast Departures but someone said it was more Princess-specific...

We have a Thanksgiving cruise on the Crown Princess (leaves the Tuesday before Thanksgiving). First time taking a cruise out of SF.

My family thinks that I reserved our transportation bus too early--9 am from the Peninsula (Redwood City). By the time we all board (15 of us) and with potential traffic, I estimate we would be at the Pier around 10 am.

My idea was that we could get wheelchairs from the Port for the elderly few in our group (how quick would be we able to get those?) and am hoping we wouldn't be lined up too long outside before they open the doors. Most of us are in the green lane so ideally will be a quick processing time for us once inside. 

I prefer to be onboard on the early end and be able to do dining room lunch (this worked out for us in Seattle a few months ago) but do you think this is too early of a timeline in SF and we would be waiting outside for too long (we have elderly and a young child in our group)?

Thanks~

Edited by SuzieQ521

In the past they start letting people into the terminal around 11am.  People queue up next to building, but there are benches nearby where the elderly and the young could sit while you stand in line.  However, if it is sunny, it might get a little warm sitting on the benches while people queuing will be in the shade.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Posted in West Coast Departures but someone said it was more Princess-specific...

We have a Thanksgiving cruise on the Crown Princess (leaves the Tuesday before Thanksgiving). First time taking a cruise out of SF.

My family thinks that I reserved our transportation bus too early--9 am from the Peninsula (Redwood City). By the time we all board (15 of us) and with potential traffic, I estimate we would be at the Pier around 10 am.

My idea was that we could get wheelchairs from the Port for the elderly few in our group (how quick would be we able to get those?) and am hoping we wouldn't be lined up too long outside before they open the doors. Most of us are in the green lane so ideally will be a quick processing time for us once inside. 

I prefer to be onboard on the early end and be able to do dining room lunch (this worked out for us in Seattle a few months ago) but do you think this is too early of a timeline in SF and we would be waiting outside for too long (we have elderly and a young child in our group)?

Thanks~

We arrived around that time in August in San Fran, waited a bit and boarding was a breeze.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@SuzieQ521 We're on the same cruise,  also coming out of RWC!!

According to our Travel Summary, they don't begin actual boarding until 12:00pm.

From memory, they open the terminal to departing guests around 10:30-11am, and once you're cleared for boarding, you hang around in various waiting areas until boarding begins.

Do you mind if I ask who you've booked a bus/van with?

Edited by nzOdy
bus question
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, nzOdy said:

@SuzieQ521 We're on the same cruise,  also coming out of RWC!!

According to our Travel Summary, they don't begin actual boarding until 12:00pm.

From memory, they open the terminal to departing guests around 10:30-11am, and once you're cleared for boarding, you hang around in various waiting areas until boarding begins.

Do you mind if I ask who you've booked a bus/van with?

Thank you! Yes I guess as long as we aren't waiting too long outside, 10:30-ish to go inside the terminal should be ok.

Our shuttle bus is with Bay Star Shuttle. Enjoy the cruise!

45 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Thank you! Yes I guess as long as we aren't waiting too long outside, 10:30-ish to go inside the terminal should be ok.

Our shuttle bus is with Bay Star Shuttle. Enjoy the cruise!

Suzie it was at least 11 a.m. before they let the doors open and the first leg of embarkation begin last month.  There was a concrete border some sat on but it would be a very uncomfortable wait for an elderly or disabled person unless they have a wheelchair or a walker w/chair.  Enjoy your cruise!  We are boarding the Discovery this Saturday again and I will update this thread if anything has changed.

Edited by Cruisintimer
  • Thanks 1