Your opinion on Costa?

LuAnn

I want to do the Eastern next year and am not thrilled with Costa's eastern cruise. But if they have kids sail free again, I am on Costa. But at this point I am looking at HAL or Carnival.

MJASP, we liked the kids club much better on the Glory than the Magica. Costa did not seem to have any security procedures for checking our little ones in and out. When we went to the information meeting they told us a password would be required, but no one ever asked for that password or even bothered to verify our signatures. It seems like I remember having to show ID on the Glory and only the person that signed them in could sign them out later.The Glory gave better descriptions of their activities so our daughter could plan her day (i.e. "Sponge Bob's Scavenger Hunt"), Magica's schedule had titles like "Carry on.." and "The game of the chairs". She just was not as exited about going there as she was on the Glory even though the staff was friendly to her. I don't know how old your kids are, but for our 5 year old is was a big difference. The Magica also had some activities that were "Adults Only" when I didn't feel they should be, like painting ceramic coasters.

My husband and I just returned from a Costa cruise (4/2), and we had an excellent time. For those of you scared to book a cruise because of the negative reviews, relax. The boat is immaculate, the food was great (no, the breakfast isn't the best, but it isn't the Ritz Carlton), the cruise staff was hysterical, and the shows were great (except for the very 1st show.) People complain about the waiters and the servers, but you have to be kind to people if you want them to treat you nicely in return. Our waiter was quiet until we tried to get to know him and then he was very personable and friendly. The cabin steward was superb! The beds were not that thick, but just be grateful that you are on a cruise and don't worry about it.

All in all, it was an excellent cruise! I would definitely cruise with Costa again!

"Seems to me that the Costa board is the perfect place for both the ranters and ravers to check-in with their 2 cents worth. Sorry to hear that Costa somehow "misrepresented" the size of your Grand Suite, that reminds me of the nerd that posted that he actually measured his cabin size. But your other point of contention is really lame (non-Italian dining staff). Granted, some members of the staff are bound to be new and inexperienced, but overall they were a very good staff. Costa bills themselves as "Cruising Italian Style." While their beautiful ship was built in Italy and is staffed with Italian officers and chefs, not to mention the heavy Italian influence in the food and wine offerings, I guess that I missed the memo that we would have an Italian waitstaff to serve us. Frankly Tim, your 2 cents worth don't add up. Simple economics dictate all mass market cruise lines ability to retain a multicultural staff to serve us at reasonable costs. Your post just lacked enough specific reasons to offer a blanket indictment of Costa Crociere. All things considered Tim...we won't miss ya!"

Originally posted by mondello

Of course you have to take personal slams at writers, rather than admit that Costa may not be perfect!

"Misrepresented," your term not mine, particulars are as follows: Costa Magica claims that their Grand Suites are 630 sq ft. When you pay $10,000.00 plus for a cruise, and expect to have the room as advertised, on any cruise line, and it is obviously misrepresented by this cruise line itself, that is not acceptable! Yeah, I guess I am a "nerd," again your term not mine, but I did measure the suite, and it was about 350 sq ft, including balcony. That, in my opinion, is not a misrepresentation, but rather a bold face LIE!! I paid top dollar for a top dollar suite, and instead got mediocrity.

As for as wait staff "not speaking Italian," I was attempting to ward off any, "it's an Italian line, why would you expect them to speak English" rhetoric. The majority of waiters and assistant waiters were Asian, no problem here. But when I ordered vegetable soup at lunch, and asked what the "white glob" was in the bottom of my bowl, and the waitress had to ask 3 different wait staff, because she didn't know the English translation for tripe, (surpise! in a vegetable soup?!), that is unexpected and unacceptable in my opinion.

As far as the "cruising Italian Style" slogan, I found it to be marketing ploy for a Carnival-esque cruise line, that caters to those who don't know any better, and can't complain in five different languages.

No love lost, as I will be cruising on more upscale lines, and enjoying every minute!!

Tim

LuAnn,

You have to realize that you are posting this question on a Costa Board! I think you will get the expected, overwelmingly positive responses here.

If you want truly level, across the board ratings, check polls such as Conde Nast, etc.

We took the Magica on a 17 night transatlantic last November, which was not our first cruise, nor first transatlantic. All things considered, including the misrepresentation of our Grand suite size, and inexperienced dining room wait staff (not Italian), we will not be sailing Costa again. We just expected a different experience that Costa is either unable or unwilling to provide.

You haven't said whether you have cruised on other lines before? You will experience different moods on different cruise lines, and differnces even between ships on the same line.

Happy cruising,

Tim

Sorry Tim, but maybe you should refresh your memory. Misrepresentation was from your original post. Your second post was much better as you actually provided some details to show how and why you formed such a low opinion of Costa. What was Costa's response to your complaint about the missing 300 square feet of your Grand Suite? Yes, you have every right to be angry if your suite was nearly 300 sq ft smaller than listed. I'm really suprised nobody else has complained about this gross misrepresentation of fact. I'm also sorry, Tim, if you thought I was implying that you were a nerd. I only wrote that because that came to mind while reading your post about cabin size. My point is just that I expect cabins to be much smaller than a nice hotel room. I would never dream of measuring the size of my cabin nor hotel room. Based on what you have posted, you got a raw deal just based on the size and price. I hope you will enlighten us as to Costa's response. Finally, I slammed your first post because you deserved it. Read both of your posts and see how much better it is when you include some details to go with you claims, it helps clarify your point. I am not unwilling to admit that Costa isn't perfect. We're all human and I don't expect perfection. You won't find perfection from any cruise line. The dining room was very warm on the first formal night and rather than turn up the AC, my waiter insisted I remove my jacket. Costa isn't perfect. I really liked your closing, "for those who don't know any better." I didn't get suckered for $10,000+ up in the cheap seats, pal!

Archived