Newbie Questions...

ryansmousehouse

Hi all., taking our first silversea cruise on Dawn this coming June to Norway... looking for recommendation for hotel in Oslo pre cruise and Copenhagen post and must see or do while there

Also I can't seem to find any current info on room service options.. understand the door hanging thing for breakfast but not clear on choices for dinner or lunch... just got off an Oceania cruise and was able to have meals from there specialty and main dining in suite with butler setup . Thanks.. Bob

There is an everyday menu/room service menu. You can access it through your TV.

Items on it can be ordered basically from anywhere. Today I saw pizzas being eaten in the Panorama lounge. We have seen someone order pasta in the Japanese restaurant and in Atlantide we often order deserts from that menu if we don't like anything on the Atlantide menu.

If you can't access it just ask your butler to bring it up for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 7:30 PM, ryansmousehouse said:

looking for recommendation for hotel in Oslo

Oslo

Last visit we stayed at the Grand Hotel Oslo. While the rooms and hotel were lovely,  the club on the roof, which blared club music every night till 3 a.m., puts this hotel on our NA list. Same with The Grand in Stockholm. Street noise can also be a problem. Lots of rowdy partying types.  Next trip we will try The Thief.  Great location on the Promenade. You'll find numerous restaurants at your doorstep. We enjoyed Lofoton (the restaurant). The ferry to all the museums on Bygdoy Island is very close. Go see The Fram. More than just the ship, great history lesson.  Hop on Hop off gives you a nice overview of a relatively small city.

Copenhagen 

We like Hotel D'Angleterre.  It's a tough town as everything is so expensive. A poorly rated 3 * will still cost an arm and leg.

The National Museum of Denmark has an amazing history exhibit that takes you from Neolithic to current day.  An easy to follow narrative with artifacts from every era. Nyhavn is the waterfront canal and entertainment district.  Lots of restaurants and very crowded.  Worth a stroll for a waffle cone. No shortage of castles and historic buildings. 

Have a great trip and keep us posted on what you find.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 2:30 AM, ryansmousehouse said:

Hi all., taking our first silversea cruise on Dawn this coming June to Norway... looking for recommendation for hotel in Oslo pre cruise and Copenhagen post and must see or do while there

Also I can't seem to find any current info on room service options.. understand the door hanging thing for breakfast but not clear on choices for dinner or lunch... just got off an Oceania cruise and was able to have meals from there specialty and main dining in suite with butler setup . Thanks.. Bob

In Copenhagen, an absolute must see is the architecturally fascinating opera house.  The ship might do a tour.  Otherwise book it yourself.

Next June I will be staying at the Grand Hotel in Oslo pre-cruise with the tour group.  I’ll have my fingers crossed @highplanesdrifters.  And earplugs packed!  On my own dime for three nights prior, I have booked the Clarion Collection Hotel Folketeateret.  It is near the opera house and the port.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Next June I will be staying at the Grand Hotel in Oslo pre-cruise with the tour group.  

We loved the hotel, just not the noise!  Very historic, and the Grand Cafe, yum.  Just ask for an interior room or one on the side away from square, although that one did get some street noise.  There was a Sport Outlet across the street that had some great stuff.  Perfect for Scandinavian weather.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ryansmousehouse said:

Just booked The Thief in Oslo for two nights prior to cruise.. now to figure out Copenhagen for two nights post cruise.. the d D'Angleterre looks  interesting but is pricey😀 Any other suggestions.. thanks

In 2022 we used the Radisson Collection Royal Hotel in Copenhagen – great location near the main train station and TI.  Don't remember what the price would have been because we used the sign-up bonus from Chase Sapphire to pay for our 4 nights.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ryansmousehouse said:

Just booked The Thief in Oslo for two nights prior to cruise.. now to figure out Copenhagen for two nights post cruise.. the d D'Angleterre looks  interesting but is pricey😀 Any other suggestions.. thanks

In September, we stayed at the Sankt Petri in Copenhagen. Great location in the Indre By, great breakfast buffet, and reasonably priced. It was the pre-cruise hotel used by Silversea.

• Like 1