And Yet Another Point to Consider

Smitheroo

I was booked for a cruise on NCL using CruiseNext certificates.  After a few days I decided I wanted to use one of my CruiseFIRST certificates. (I forget the exact reason) The only way I could remove one type of certificate and apply the other was to cancel the first booking and make a new booking at which time I would use the CruiseFirst certificates.  NCL took care of my request.  Seems simple, right?  NOPE  While doing the extensive research I always do when I dont even know what questions to ask-  I find an insurance company (and I cant remember which one)where one of the requirements for the Pre-Existing Condition Waiver is that it has to be your first booking for the cruise.  I get it- people would cancel and rebook cruises to extend the "time sensitive period".  So, why not ask if its the first booking and if not, allow the person to use the first day of payment of the first cruise (the one I cancelled)  If that is not within the allowed time sensitive period then no insurance would be allowed to be purchased for that cruise.    So now I am left wondering if this cruise that I did this maneuvering of certificates on can never have  travel insurance purchased for it.  I know the answer is "ask your broker" and i plan to, just wanted to point out what i found out by researching.  Something you would have to have dug hard to find on your own. 

21 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I was booked for a cruise on NCL using CruiseNext certificates.  After a few days I decided I wanted to use one of my CruiseFIRST certificates. (I forget the exact reason) The only way I could remove one type of certificate and apply the other was to cancel the first booking and make a new booking at which time I would use the CruiseFirst certificates.  NCL took care of my request.  Seems simple, right?  NOPE  While doing the extensive research I always do when I dont even know what questions to ask-  I find an insurance company (and I cant remember which one)where one of the requirements for the Pre-Existing Condition Waiver is that it has to be your first booking for the cruise.  I get it- people would cancel and rebook cruises to extend the "time sensitive period".  So, why not ask if its the first booking and if not, allow the person to use the first day of payment of the first cruise (the one I cancelled)  If that is not within the allowed time sensitive period then no insurance would be allowed to be purchased for that cruise.    So now I am left wondering if this cruise that I did this maneuvering of certificates on can never have  travel insurance purchased for it.  I know the answer is "ask your broker" and i plan to, just wanted to point out what i found out by researching.  Something you would have to have dug hard to find on your own. 

Hi Smitheroo,

I addressed this topic in my May 4, 2009 blog post:

Does Rebooking My Cruise Reset My Initial Deposit Date?

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/does-rebooking-my-cruise-reset-my-initial-deposit-date/

I know four plans a Maine resident may buy anytime before and including the Final Payment Date that will cover pre-existing conditions.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

16 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Smitheroo,

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/does-rebooking-my-cruise-reset-my-initial-deposit-date/

I know four plans a Maine resident may buy anytime before and including the Final Payment Date that will cover pre-existing conditions.

Steve Dasseos

Thank you, I will give the Store a call  My email inquiry has not been answered but I know that sometimes happens with that type of contact, it disappears into cyberspace.   I havent read your link to rebooking a cruise yet (but will)  I will say that I agree with their reason for not allowing it but there should be some way around it, such as I suggested- using the date from the first booking *assuming everything about the cruise is the same*. in my case the only difference was how I was paying it (Cruise First instead of Cruise Next) and I cant remember why I wanted to do this. I do remember my reason made sense, just cant remember waht it was.  I will check into the link. Thanks

1 hour ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Smitheroo,

Steve Dasseos

OK- just read the link.  At first my rebooked cruise seemed okay because I did get all the money back (in the form of Cruise Next certificates, the only payment that was given).  The problem is that it is the same exact cruise- same date.  *Except* I am okay with going with the original payment date for insurance purposes. It is still within the "sensitive time period"   so it looks like my rebooked cruise will qualify for insurance. What kind I get will depend on what the Insurance Store says.  As I said in other posts, medical is always necessary and for me, that includes pre-existing conditions must be covered in some way. (either by purchasing within the time sensitive period or the insurance covers pre-existing conditions anyway, like GeoBlue Voyager Choice)