Reservation Cancellation - Name Transfer Question

zzik

Hello,

New here.

I may need to cancel my cruise that's two weeks out on VV. I read that 45-0 days you cannot cancel for a refund but can transfer the reservation to someone else. 

Has anyone done this? If so, can I sell my reservation to someone and just call and transfer it over?

Edited by zzik

• zzik changed the title to Reservation Cancellation - Name Transfer Question

For those reading, if there is any interest.

It's the 12/10 6 nights Western Caribbean sailing out of Miami.

Total paid: $3100 for a Sea Terrance. Reservation has $900 in OB credit and $300 bar tab.

Edited by zzik

You are correct that you can "sell" your reservation to someone. else by changing the name.  If you booked thru a first mate, I'd contact them as they will advertise the availability to their client list....if you are part of a social media group for the cruise date, you might also want to advertise it there (people might have friends who want to sail).  The reason I like going thru.a travel agent is that it keeps the financial transaction safe for everyone.  The new sailor pays the agent who then changes the name(s) and refunds the original sailor.  If doing it privately, there is a lot of trust issue involved with someone you don't know.  

If you have travel insurance and must cancel for a covered reason, that would be another way to recoup your costs.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, zzik said:

otal paid: $3100 for a Sea Terrance. Reservation has $900 in OB credit and $300 bar tab.

Assuming your TA can facilitate a transfer, You may want to start posting your 'best and final selling price' ASAP.  This cruise is right around the corner. What ship??

That's our best and final. We decided we're going to go if we cant breakeven. Figured the OB credit/bar tab would be enticing to a last minute cruiser.

Ship is Valiant Lady - 12/10 sailing "Western Caribbean Charm". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzik said:

That's our best and final. We decided we're going to go if we cant breakeven. Figured the OB credit/bar tab would be enticing to a last minute cruiser.

Ship is Valiant Lady - 12/10 sailing "Western Caribbean Charm". 

I had to cancel a cruise due to a death in my family and forfeited the cost of the cruise AND the RT airfare.  It's really great that you have options to go if you want to. 🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, zzik said:

read that 45-0 days you cannot cancel for a refund but can transfer the reservation to someone else. 

Try calling Virgin, I've heard in the past that they have been sympathetic to those who are faced with last minute cancellations, and have made exceptions. The worst thing they can do is say "no".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, raphael360 said:

I had to cancel a cruise due to a death in my family and forfeited the cost of the cruise AND the RT airfare.  It's really great that you have options to go if you want to. 🙂

This is a BIG reason for travel insurance.  Many policies cover death or serious illness in family members and if you purchased early enough to have "pre-existing condition" coverage, that applies to those family members as well.  You do need to read the fine print on each policy, but there are at least a couple of on line sites that allow you to compare coverages and prices.  And a reminder that coverage purchased thru the cruise line will cover only those items bought thru the line, while private insurance can cover air fare, hotels, etc. as well as the cruise fare.

• Like 1

Update.

Spoke to an agent over the phone who offered to change our booking to a future sailing. I haven't decided whether to do that or not.

Any recommendations on any other itineraries? I saw some new itineraries out of Puerto Rico and Europe, thoughts?