Unexpected benefit of cruising: My Condition Improved!

JVes

I agree- you & others like you are an inspiration.  Thank you

I also agree about taking help when needed.  Those offering the assistance gain so much pleasure by giving assistance when needed.  My husband is an amputee & on oxygen, he prefers doing as much for himself as possible, but I sincerely thank those wonderful people who offer to carry a tray, open a door, hold an elevator or tote a piece of luggage.  It makes my life as his spouse so much easier.

• Like 3

Quoting one specific part of your message, Banditswife:
"Those offering the assistance gain so much pleasure by giving assistance when needed."

This is something we in the disabled community (including our families) need to learn to do. Accept with grace. We are so stubborn about doing things ourselves, about keeping as much independance as we can. Or we can stubbornly refuse to see ourselves as disabled, or as needing help - even if the help is simply a tool to pick things up off the floor.
Some of us feel like we're imposters when taking a disabled parking space, or the space intended for mobility scooters in public transit - when using such a scooter.

Accept with grace.

Using a reacher helps us remain independant.
Yes, I am in the disabled community.

Yes, I need help.

Yes, I need medication or physiotherapy or a psychologist or that space for a mobility scooter.

And yes, I will learn to accept it with grace. Smile and sincerely thank the person providing the help.

Even if you thank them for the offer but turn it down.

• Like 4

(That said, anyone who grabs a wheelchair's handles and just starts moving a wheelchair without so much as ASKING fully deserves a verbal takedown by an absolutely irate wheelchair user.)

• Like 2

On 5/31/2024 at 11:41 PM, Kallen said:

My late daughter had cystic fibrosis and I was very concerned before our first cruise.  To our amazement, her lungs were great!  When we asked the respirologists afterwards, they said that the defect in CF is the inability for the salt molecules to get into the cells.  While at sea, she was breathing in salt water.  Voila!  She enjoyed every second of cruising until just a year before she passed.

I'm just reading this now for the 1st time. I'm very sorry for your loss

• Like 2

My post-cruise thoughts/observations re accepting/asking for assistance.

I imagine most of us have spent our lives in one- or two-generation households. Hubby and I had grandparents only until our teens, and we never lived with them.  Most ship crew members, though, grew up in multi-generation families, and are very used to helping the older ones, the one who has trouble walking, etc.  So while working on the ships, noticing, and assisting passengers who could use a strong arm or other service comes naturally.

While it might be uncomfortable to ask for help in the grocery store at home, I think it is very normal, with no agenda, on a cruise ship, and the crew are skillful in providing that service.

• Like 4