NCL, What is your real plan for Independence and United States???

Mark

It seems that NCL has owned the United States (in Philadephia) and Indenpence (in San Francisco) for several years now, has done nothing with either of these old classic liners and has made no public firm commitments on their future. Does anyone know what is really going on at NCL with these old American ships?

I did some research on the web and there seems to be a growing opinion that NCL never had any intention of doing anything with these ships aside from the ultimate scrapping. It seems that the purchase of these two Amercian ships had something to do with NCL getting the NCL America company up and running with government approval. Experts agree that the Independence was in excellent working shape and would have required a small investment to bring it up to NCL current standards whereas the United States would have required a major investment but at least was free of any asbestos material (removed in Turkey).

So, the question still is if NCL was using the purchase of these two ships as a gimmick to get NCL America or if they really intend on using them somehow to preserve some of America's history on the seas. I am posting this question here on the board since I know the politically correct non-committal answer that would come from NCL...just like all politicians they say a lot that means nothing.

So, anyone out there with inside info on the Independence and United States, please share it with us!!!:cool:

From reading about last week's cruise show on a thread on this forum, I got the impression that NCL is:

(1) Performed studies on the hull of the SS US. (which is in great shape)

(2) Testing the main engines on the SS US. (results pending)

(3) Evaluating the success of NCLA. ( POH may make or break NCLA)

(4) If NCLA is successful, and feasibility studies give a green light, it's possible NCL may refurbish the SS US.

(5) I haven't read or heard anything about refurbishing the SS Indy.

My opinion, the more successful NCLA is, we may see some progress for plans on restoring the SS US and the SS Indy. If NCLA continues to lose money, then don't expect NCL to do anything with either ship.

NCLA has to overcome higher payroll costs. If it can is still in question?

NCL has given NCLA three modern, designed, two of which are brand new, cruise ships to prove their worth. If NCLA can't turn a profit with them, they certainly can't with older ships.

Meanwhile, NCL continues to operate the Wind in Hawaii for comparisons, and it probably is setting the profit standard these NCLA ships must meet.

Doing anything on these ships without a successful NCLA organization is NOT going to happen.

Electricon, Thanks for the answer. That is some great info. Mark, What is your question? Is it what is going to happen with the ships or is it Did NCLA commit a wrong doing?:confused: I think the question on the status of the ships is a great question.

I don't think we'll ever see the Indenpence and Unitied States again:( .

I don't think the cruising public will want to sail in thouse older ships when the have three modern ones to choose from. I think that is why American Hawaiian Cruises went belly up.

My wife and I did our first cruise with American Hawaiian Cruises and loved it, it's become the standard by which we judge all other cruises. IMHO American Hawaiian Cruises was the better cruise company. The only negative was the Indenpence, while a beautiful ship, it lacked the facilities' of the modern ships. IF NCLA can get the that standard of service and entertainment it would be an awesome cruise.

Yes, my question really is what will be done with the ships and NCL's real reason for purchasing them.

Also, there is nothing that rules out using these ships for other types of cruises and they are not limited to Hawaii...they could do East and West Coastals as well as Hawaii or anywhere else...Thanks for the feedback

You're correct, these ships fully meet the Jones Act standards, and don't require a Senator Inouye sponsored loophole to operate exclusively in America. But who would want to operate them without an American crew?

Remove the American crew; these ships no longer fall under the Jones Act.

Never-the-less, the American organization within NCL, called NCLA, has to turn profits for anything to be done with these ships. To date, NCLA has been consistently losing money for NCL.

My guess is that like most start-up ventures, NCL expected NCLA to lose money for X number of years into the venture before they could turn a profit...my guess is also that Star Cruises allocated some of their vast wealth to NCL to make this thing happen...the reason that I asked about the United States is exactly what was posted here...hull is like new...engines are expected to be fine and there is no asbestos to be concerned about like in the Norway

I always felt that NCL should take some of these older ships and dock them at (or as close to) the larger embarkation ports and use them as floating hotels for pre/post cruise stays. Especially in NYC where NCL could make a fortune booking these for cruisers. Passenagers could arrive a few days early, stay on one of these old beautiful ships and tour the city for a day or so before their cruise. Just like the Queen Mary in CA. (I Believe). Using them as floating hotels for cruise passengers opens up a whole other relm of cash flow options. Have a place to eat on board, gift shop and some nice renovated cabins. I think it would work out well for NCL.

I agree with you. Place one in the Northeast------New York or Boston; and the other in Florida. I'd love to do a pre or post cruise stay on them.

Or, they could be used to expand NCLA to the east coast. With three NCLA ships doing Hawaii, it would be nice if these ships could do mainland ports.

Another poster stated that the cruising public would prefer the newer modern ships. Maybe Not. I, for one, would love to cruise aboard restored BIG U. or INDY.

Barb

I always felt that NCL should take some of these older ships and dock them at (or as close to) the larger embarkation ports and use them as floating hotels for pre/post cruise stays. Just like the Queen Mary in CA. (I Believe). Using them as floating hotels for cruise passengers opens up a whole other relm of cash flow options.

I don't think the QM is doing so well right now, according to this recent release. Like any venture, there is inherant risk involved.

The Queen Mary owners however are in dire financial straits: its operating company is owned by a business that filed for bankruptcy last March and owes the city of Long Beach millions in back rent. The doors of the hotel and museum remain open but it remains unclear for how long.

Don't really know why NCL purchased the Indy and US. I really don't think they will ever sail again, nor will they be used as floating hotels. JMHO.

On buying these two old American regristered ships a few years ago, NCL's President and CEO Colin Veitch said,

""The SS United States would be a phenomenal addition to our U.S.flag operation down the road. We remain focused on completing Project America and successfully introducing our innovative U.S.-flagged cruise ships in Hawaii, but we will now organize a project team to work with U.S. yards, naval engineers and architects to develop plans for what should be the fourth vessel in our U.S.-flagged fleet."

Soon, the last of the Project America ships will be delivered and will enter service. Will we hear more about the SS US plans soon?

Personally, I think if NCLA with American crews and their huge payrolls can make a profit, something might be done to these ships. If NCLA can't make a profit, they will probably end up like the SS Norway, awaiting the torches in a scrapyard somewhere.

Archived