Making reservations for specialty restaurant on Mille?

lusochic

We wanted to make reservations for the Olympic restaurant. We are staying CC class. Can we make them in advance? Do we have to wait until we are onboard the ship?

Should we be doing anything else 1 month in advance of our cruise (besides excursions, and filling our online paperwork)?

I am getting so excited for our trip! I can't wait!

Thanks!.. Nancy

You can make reservations for the specialty restaurants 60 days prior to departure through Captains Club if you are a member. I am sailing in four weeks on April 17 and I made reservations two weeks ago. You definitely do not have to wait until one day prior.

I think they meant that you can only book one evening in the specialty restaurant before you sail. Which from my understanding is quite true.

Although you are able to book an evening in the specialty restaurant weeks in advance.. they only allow one booking....

We have reservations for our upcoming Infinity cruise... and so looking forward to returning to the SS United States!

I have actually made two reservations for the SS United States for my upcoming cruise. I made the first reservation and then we decided we would like to eat there a secong time during the cruise, so I called back again and made another reservation for a different night. Just thought you might want to know

Lusochic, we're cruising with you in April. I've been wondering when we can make a reservation for the specialty restaurant, but we are not members of the Captain's Club. I hope we can get in. We'll see you there!

You need to wait until you are on board. There will be a reservations table set up, as I recall it is usually in the bar/dance area outside the dining room and/or outside the buffet area on embarkation day. You can also go to the speciality restaurant and someone should be there taking reservations.

I have actually made two reservations for the SS United States for my upcoming cruise. I made the first reservation and then we decided we would like to eat there a secong time during the cruise, so I called back again and made another reservation for a different night. Just thought you might want to know

Someone goofed but don't complain. They forget to check if you already had a reservation and maybe you didn't tell them. If you did tell them you got a newbie in the call center.

We didn't find the Olympic busy and were able to book a reservation one day in advance while on the ship. Getting your desired time could be the only hitch. Be aware that you will be paying $30 per person for the dinner as well as another appx. $29 per person for the selected wine with each course. So your dinner is going to be about $60 per person plus gratuity and that can come as a surprise since that $30 per person doesn't seem to be written down anywhere. You are informed when you enter the restaurant or sit down to dine and then it's too late or too uncomfortable to change your mind. The dinner and service were very formal and very good indeed but not good enough to spend that extra money for it more than once. IMHO

Be aware that you will be paying $30 per person for the dinner as well as another appx. $29 per person for the selected wine with each course. So your dinner is going to be about $60 per person plus gratuity and that can come as a surprise since that $30 per person doesn't seem to be written down anywhere. You are informed when you enter the restaurant or sit down to dine and then it's too late or too uncomfortable to change your mind.

Celebrity is quite upfront about the additional charge for the specialty restaurant. It is published on their website as well as in the daily.

From Celebrity's website:

What are the charges for the special dining options on Constellation, Millennium, Infinity and Summit?

Subject: Dining Information

There is a cover charge for dining in the specialty restaurants onboard Constellation, Millennium, Infinity, and Summit. This charge is a $30 per person charge that will be posted to your onboard signature account (This covers gratuities). Additional charges apply for wines and other beverages purchased as usual.

We didn't find the Olympic busy and were able to book a reservation one day in advance while on the ship. Getting your desired time could be the only hitch. Be aware that you will be paying $30 per person for the dinner as well as another appx. $29 per person for the selected wine with each course. So your dinner is going to be about $60 per person plus gratuity and that can come as a surprise since that $30 per person doesn't seem to be written down anywhere. You are informed when you enter the restaurant or sit down to dine and then it's too late or too uncomfortable to change your mind. The dinner and service were very formal and very good indeed but not good enough to spend that extra money for it more than once. IMHO

I am surprised to hear that you did not know that there was a cost involved. It is well publicized. The two menu options (with and without wine) and their prices are listed on the menu. You do not have to opt for the Menu Eceptionel with the paired wine.

We think that it is worth the extra money and have done it 3 times on each of our 14-day cruises!

I agree that reservations are easy to get. We booked one night before boarding and the other 2 after we boarded the ship.

You got someone in Captains Club who didn't know what they were talking about. Here is the policy direct from the Captains Club Benefits web page:

Presailing Specialty Restaurant Reservations

If you're booking a cruise on one of the Millennium-class ships-Constellation, Infinity, Millennium and Summit, you can make dinner reservations 60 days prior to sailing and up to 4 days prior to sailing for one of the Specialty Restaurants. These unique dining venues are recreations of the very restaurants on board famous ocean liners of the past. To make arrangements, please call the Captain's Club. The per guest cover charge (which includes gratuities) will be automatically added to your onboard account. Guests must be 12-years of age or older. Proper attire is required.

Well, interestingly enough, we checked through our daily program and no mention of cost at Olympic. We were later told it was "widely known" but no one could produce anything that had it in writing. As newcomers to Celebrity, it was not widely known to us. The menu refers only to the wine charge. Our reservation confirmation letter never referred to the fee. We knew it had to be something and expected to pay something. Actually, we thought it was the $29 pp fee at the bottom of the menu page which turned out to be for wine only. No mention whatsoever in all the literature we looked at (didn't consult with CC on the subject before leaving) and, after inquiring, the front desk could also not produce anything showing the fee. One was informed upon entering the restaurant at the time of their reservation. We accepted it, enjoyed the meal and paid up. But my comment was to be sure people are aware of this before they go. We weren't made aware and that is what troubled us. On a lighter note, we absolutely loved our two week South America cruise on Millennium and would be delighted to sail on her again.

Well, interestingly enough, we checked through our daily program and no mention of cost at Olympic. We were later told it was "widely known" but no one could produce anything that had it in writing. As newcomers to Celebrity, it was not widely known to us. The menu refers only to the wine charge. Our reservation confirmation letter never referred to the fee. We knew it had to be something and expected to pay something. Actually, we thought it was the $29 pp fee at the bottom of the menu page which turned out to be for wine only. No mention whatsoever in all the literature we looked at (didn't consult with CC on the subject before leaving) and, after inquiring, the front desk could also not produce anything showing the fee. One was informed upon entering the restaurant at the time of their reservation.

I looked at my daily program and it does not say. You are right about the menu page too. I guess that they should have told you when you made your reservation. We did it the first time on our Alaska cruise in 2004. Once you do it, you know the story!

Sorry for the piece of misinformation. I did check the daily from my last Millie cruise and you're right - it wasn't in there, but it was in the one from my first Millie cruise back in 01. I do know the maitre'd also told us about the fee when we made our reservations for our first time dining onboard.

I received this confirmation last month:

Captain's Club # xxxxxxxxxxx

RE: Specialty Restaurant Confirmation

Dear Mr and Mrs xxxxxr,

Thank you for your recent call to the Captain's Club. It is always a pleasure to hear from our most loyal guests.

Your request for a reservation at the Constellation's Ocean Liner Restaurant has been confirmed. Listed below is your confirmation information:

Confirmation Number: 12xxx

Date for Dining: 02/15/06

Time for Dining: 9:00 p.m.

Total Number of Guests in Dining Party: 8

Note: Maximum table size is six guests per table. If your party is larger than six guests, then your party will be seated at multiple tables as close together as possible. Guest will be charged the $30.00 USD per person service fee onboard at time of dining. Jacket is required in the Specialty Restaurant and tux or dark suit with tie is required on formal nights. Dining experience onboard is two and a half to three hours. Captain's Club members are allowed to pre-book one night only in the Specialty Restaurant prior to sail date. Additional nights may be booked once on board and reservations are made by first come, first serve basis.

Also, no children under the age of twelve allowed in Specialty Restaurant.

Mr and Mrs xxxxxr, discover a complete cruise experience with a taste of luxury on every Celebrity cruise.

Sincerely,

Shayna Young

Celebrity Cruises Captain's Club

P.S. We had a one table for 8, and have always had an 8 top,

Mari

Our first cruise with Celebrity was on Century last November and, of course, that doesn't have the restaurant. So this Millie cruise was our second with Celebrity. Having sailed Cunard, Crystal, Radisson and Princess, we find that Celebrity offers a lot for the money and we will most likely be return passengers.

Archived