Shanghai…What’s so great?

laudergayle

So many CC cruisers rave about Shanghai and mention how crowded/popular it is.  We have eaten there twice now, and neither time did I like the food.  Perhaps I’m not ordering right.  I had the Kung Pao Chicken where they used Chinese 5-spice which was overpowering (and not sure it’s even supposed to be used in Kung Pao). The second time I ordered the Combination Fried Rice which was soft/mushy and bland.  The Green Tea ice cream is good.

Please tell me what you are ordering that makes you love Shanghai’s.

I love Shanghai! But, not really for the mains. My first trip back in April 22 I did have a wonderfully yummy beef noodle dish. I'm not seeing it on the menus that I am finding in an online search, so I can't recall the name. After looking at the photos below, I actually think it was the pork which is Char Siu with Rice Noodles. Hmm...anyway, it was great! The chicken noodle dish, Glass Noodles with Chicken and Vegetables was not so good. I also didn't really like the fried rice. My picky husband orders the fried rice, but that's because he's not a fan of broth-based anything. Yep! Not even zuppa toscana! 

Anyway, the dim sum is where it's at. On our last sailing on Getaway we actually didn't order mains. We just ordered dim sum. Lots of dim sum! We also asked our butler to bring us some once so we didn't have to stay in line (I know, I know, we're spoiled). Their pot stickers, spring rolls, and dumplings are really good! Here's a few photos, just because you know I'm a visual person when I'm not writing long stories.

The first really yummy bowl of Char Siu with not so great fried rice

20220904_130540.thumb.jpg.50d5cfaf6918579f115b07e1c45934f8.jpg

A not so great bowl of Char Siu

20220907_182001.thumb.jpg.0d45566767a5a82422711db24df1351c.jpg

That's just my husbands order of dim sum!!!

20220910_121408.thumb.jpg.5e431c128d9ee2c19ef3fc06cbf12ac7.jpg

Our butler brought these yummy dim sum treats to us one day before dinner in the Haven.

20230106_174919.thumb.jpg.06dbee9a6e1b75ad46ed6e04352139fe.jpg.f07abeba99a33eb06028bbeb679ccbe2.jpg

So, long story short....dim sum is what we order that makes us really love Shanghai! 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Having sailed on ships with both, I can say that the Jasmine Garden and Shanghai are not interchangeable.  The Jasmine is more traditional Americanized Chinese restaurant and Shanghai is a noodle, rice, and dim sum focused place. 

Food is subjective, but in the same vein as the OP, I found neither of them particularly good; and I was kind of surprised that there's a line to get in most of the time (especially for Shanghai).  Probably b/c both are included with your cruise.

If you go, just note that the portions are kind of small.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

We're on the Jade in two months and they have Jasmine Garden, a complimentary Asian restaurant.

Is this Jade's version of Shanghai...i.e, essentially the same thing with a different name?

@JGmf Actually, in hindsight, the Kung Pao chicken was on the Jade, so thank you for clarifying the difference between the two restaurants.  Either way, I wouldn’t stand in line for either.  

On 12/6/2023 at 10:43 AM, cruiseny4life said:

I love Shanghai! But, not really for the mains. My first trip back in April 22 I did have a wonderfully yummy beef noodle dish. I'm not seeing it on the menus that I am finding in an online search, so I can't recall the name. After looking at the photos below, I actually think it was the pork which is Char Siu with Rice Noodles. Hmm...anyway, it was great! The chicken noodle dish, Glass Noodles with Chicken and Vegetables was not so good. I also didn't really like the fried rice. My picky husband orders the fried rice, but that's because he's not a fan of broth-based anything. Yep! Not even zuppa toscana! 

Anyway, the dim sum is where it's at. On our last sailing on Getaway we actually didn't order mains. We just ordered dim sum. Lots of dim sum! We also asked our butler to bring us some once so we didn't have to stay in line (I know, I know, we're spoiled). Their pot stickers, spring rolls, and dumplings are really good! Here's a few photos, just because you know I'm a visual person when I'm not writing long stories.

The first really yummy bowl of Char Siu with not so great fried rice

20220904_130540.thumb.jpg.50d5cfaf6918579f115b07e1c45934f8.jpg

A not so great bowl of Char Siu

20220907_182001.thumb.jpg.0d45566767a5a82422711db24df1351c.jpg

That's just my husbands order of dim sum!!!

20220910_121408.thumb.jpg.5e431c128d9ee2c19ef3fc06cbf12ac7.jpg

Our butler brought these yummy dim sum treats to us one day before dinner in the Haven.

20230106_174919.thumb.jpg.06dbee9a6e1b75ad46ed6e04352139fe.jpg.f07abeba99a33eb06028bbeb679ccbe2.jpg

So, long story short....dim sum is what we order that makes us really love Shanghai! 

Same.  Once in a while I will add the shrimp fried rice, but the dim sum is excellent.

• Like 2