Ocean Cay - Pay to snorkel?

atravellingman

Do you need to buy an excursion to snorkel on Ocean Cay, or can we just bring our own masks?  

By the way, can anyone provide some examples of Ocean Cay excursions?  We're about 30 days out, and the web page just says that the excursions are being updated...

Thanks!

You can use your own snorkeling gear on Ocean Cay. 

Try using the search tool at the bottom of this linked page.   It will generate a PDF of your sailing's excursions.  Note that the second field "Port" needs to be your departure port. It will show excursions at all ports of call.

https://www.mscbook.com/shop/TAPortalExternalView?storeId=10757&catalogId=10001&langId=-1004&taportalIframeKey=MENU_EXCURSIONS

We will be there less than a month.  We have the shipwreck snorkeling scheduled plus have our own masks and fins to go off on our own.  We aren't expecting it to be covered with reefs which is what we like about snorkeling (seeing a few fish doesn't interest us) but we are going to scout the area to see if we can find decent spots.  I plan to share with pictures and some commentary of both.  

We brought our snorkeling gear and used it in the "lagoon" area that looks out toward the YC's section. Unfortunately, we didn't really see all that many fish. I think when we go this year, I might leave the fins at home.

Thanks very much for all the snorkeling info, and especially the YouTube video.  I also found the list of Ocean Cay excursions, although it didn't include the prices.  I noticed that one of the "excursions" was simply the daily rental of snorkel equipment, it didn't mention if it included fins, or what the price was, but the "fee" if you didn't return the equipment was $60 so it must have been less than that.  We like to travel light, so wondering if anyone knew more about the rental.  I suppose I could always call MSC and ask :-).

Also, some of the MSC videos mentioned a pay tour of the lighthouse.  Do you need to pay to climb the lighthouse?  I don't mind paying a guide if we get some extra history.  

Youse guys are amazing.  I couldn't find a roll call for the January 4th trip, although there is a spirited one going for the previous one over the New Years!

And while we're on the subject, while I've found several PDF's with nice descriptions of excursions, including various item rental options, none of them have details or prices.  The official MSC webpage takes you right up to the excursions for your cruise, and then draws a blank.  One method actually said "excursion database is being updated", the other ways just come back empty.  I called MSC and a helpful if difficult to understand agent very carefully walked me through the process and he was surprised when the results come back blank for him as well.  I'd love to know the cost for renting snorkel equipment, and I'd also like to know about the lighthouse tour, but zilch.  I thought cruise lines were experts at taking our money 🙂

3 hours ago, atravellingman said:

Thanks very much for all the snorkeling info, and especially the YouTube video.  I also found the list of Ocean Cay excursions, although it didn't include the prices.  I noticed that one of the "excursions" was simply the daily rental of snorkel equipment, it didn't mention if it included fins, or what the price was, but the "fee" if you didn't return the equipment was $60 so it must have been less than that.  We like to travel light, so wondering if anyone knew more about the rental.  I suppose I could always call MSC and ask :-).

Also, some of the MSC videos mentioned a pay tour of the lighthouse.  Do you need to pay to climb the lighthouse?  I don't mind paying a guide if we get some extra history.  

Youse guys are amazing.  I couldn't find a roll call for the January 4th trip, although there is a spirited one going for the previous one over the New Years!

If you are talking about the Divina, I'm actually on the sailing before plus the 4th.  So if you are on that, you may see us with our gear.

2 hours ago, atravellingman said:

And while we're on the subject, while I've found several PDF's with nice descriptions of excursions, including various item rental options, none of them have details or prices.  The official MSC webpage takes you right up to the excursions for your cruise, and then draws a blank.  One method actually said "excursion database is being updated", the other ways just come back empty.  I called MSC and a helpful if difficult to understand agent very carefully walked me through the process and he was surprised when the results come back blank for him as well.  I'd love to know the cost for renting snorkel equipment, and I'd also like to know about the lighthouse tour, but zilch.  I thought cruise lines were experts at taking our money 🙂

My booking is blank as well for excursions.

Thanks very much, sorry I missed that the first time.  As usual, the cruise line prices the snorkel and fin rentals right where you might or might not want to haul your own gear down.  We like to travel very light, and don't really want to haul all that stuff around, but guess we will.  Maybe we'll use it in Nassau as well.  

Also appreciate the Nassau info.  We'll probably just do a short run to a local beach, don't need the whole island tour.  

Thanks again for all the great advice!  I happened across this PointsGuy guide with everything you could possibly want to know about Ocean Cay, except how to remember to pronounce it "Key" 🙂

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ocean-cay-msc-marine-reserve/

I have one odd question.  Some people collect stamps, some collect coins, my spouse is a life-long sand collector.  Look it up, it's a thing.  She is *slightly* miffed that it is a "man made" island, which is technically against the rules, but in this case she's willing to make an exception.  The rule is that each sand has to be from a named beach.  For that, she'll be in collector's heaven.  She collects a tiny quantity in a baggie and cleans and sorts it into tiny science specimen jars at home.

I know that at normal ports the security guards shake you down pretty carefully.  Are they more relaxed because MSC owns the island?  Wouldn't want them thinking she'd somehow scored some weird drugs.  Anybody remember how well they checked?  FWIW, we've had no problems at all with US Customs inspections, they seem to be familiar with the concept.