HAL has a new website...Naturally it doesn't work!

Laminator

5 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

As a tangential aside, if I'm not using HAL's air service, why do they ask for details about my flight arrangements during the check in?

As someone who has worked in both luxury rail and cruise tourism, the more logistical info they have about all passengers including those who are categorized as “independent” ie, only having purchased the actual cruise or train journey from the supplier, the better.

Even if you have made your own travel arrangements to the ship from the airport, should something happen such as a delay on your flight that has “package guests” onboard or those who have purchased transfers, it would alert the line that you are also on that affected flight, and in my experience, if at all possible they would be working to help you too because it’s the right thing to do, especially if there was still room on the transfer coach to fit your party.  

Same thing for return. Should something affect a ships arrival, the more information they have about where and when people are planning to fly out of, is incredibly helpful. It’s rare that this happens but when it does, there’s a LOT going on behind the scenes trying to help everyone. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I've had my share of problems with the website and the app, but I was gratified yesterday when I was able to complete the online check in for my 1/13/24 cruise and get the luggage tags and boarding doc emailed to me.  I'll have to get the boarding pass re-emailed to me later since the check-in time is not yet listed.  I hope it works as well when I have to do it for real.

As a tangential aside, if I'm not using HAL's air service, why do they ask for details about my flight arrangements during the check in?

You will probably need to wait until about 1 Jan to print your boarding pass as it needs to have the bar code on it.  That is what is used to check you onto the ship at your first boarding.

• Like 1