Charge for distilled water

Craigrlewis

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Port intensive itineraries leave less time steaming at sea (and you have to be going near full speed to make maximum water), so they cannot match the total consumption for the cruise, and this is why they sometimes take on water in port.

A few years ago, before leaving on a cruise from Australia to PNG and back I was surprised to see on the itinerary that we were departing Kiriwina Island at 5pm and arriving at  Kitava Island at 8am the next morning.

Since the islands are adjacent (about 20nm from jetty to jetty) I wondered why it was expected take 15 hours, but when I woke up at Kitava and checked my GPS log I discovered we did a big ~140nm loop during the night.

Am I right in assuming they wanted to steam all night to produce water? 

I can see that getting shore water from these islands would have been very difficult, even if the water quality could be trusted.

PNGcruise-KK2.thumb.png.05553d34edd42a4daf034cf55d29e836.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SedNabokos said:

Am I right in assuming they wanted to steam all night to produce water?

Amongst other things like processing and discharging bilge water and waste water.  140 nm in 15 hours is less than 10 knots, so they wouldn't make more than about 40% of their evaporator output, but if they were using reverse osmosis as well (doesn't rely on waste heat from the engines to make water), that makes sense as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

.But don’t they sometimes do this simply to avoid arriving early. As, for instance, between Cherbourg and Southampton, as another ship may be using the space or some such.

Yes, but they would slow steam this, even slower than 10 knots.  Slow steaming is less fuel.