Eating "fowl" in China?

LuAnn

• 1 month later...

Avian Influenza virus ("bird flu") is killed by cooking. Eat whatever you want as long as it is well cooked and the establishment is reputible enough sanitation wise to reduce cross-contamination of raw to cooked products. You honestly should have a greater concern of foodborne bacteria.

I work for the government (in agriculture) pretty much exclusivly on avian influenza. Please avoid live poultry markets, poultry farms, and restaurants that keep live birds slaughter their own birds on site. These direct bird-to-human contacts are your high risk. Plus, we wouldn't want you bringing any virus back on your shoes, etc!

The method for cooking peking duck, will bring the bird to high enough temp for a long enough time to kill anything including AI. There is a place in Bejing that I have seen on several TV shows that say they have the best, that being said I don't know if they keep them live in or near the restaurant, but here is the info:

Li Qun Roast Duck Restaurant

Across the street from the St. Regis Hotel, 11 Beixiangfeng, Zhengyi Road, Qianmendong Street, Beijing, 01-06-70-25-68-1

Good Luck-can I go with you?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived