Timing in Flåm for return to ship

gnome12

I will be on the Dawn next June. I am booked on the Næroyfjord cruise in the morning, and want to take the Flåm Railway after the return. We are due to be in Flåm until 6pm. Is a 5:05pm return from the railway doable, or should I go for the earlier trip, which might be tight to make after the morning cruise?

On 12/13/2023 at 12:55 PM, gnome12 said:

I will be on the Dawn next June. I am booked on the Næroyfjord cruise in the morning, and want to take the Flåm Railway after the return. We are due to be in Flåm until 6pm. Is a 5:05pm return from the railway doable, or should I go for the earlier trip, which might be tight to make after the morning cruise?

If the ship’s departure time is 6:00pm, all aboard is 5:30pm.  Twenty-five minutes to walk to the ship sounds okay.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

If the ship’s departure time is 6:00pm, all aboard is 5:30pm.  Twenty-five minutes to walk to the ship sounds okay.

When will we find out if we are docking at the seawalk or tendering?

I don’t know exactly.  However, if your cruise is at Flåm on June 11th, so is Celebrity Apex.  With over 3,300 passengers, I would guess it gets the seawalk!

Last tender back is what?  Say 5.15pm?

No. I will be there June 26th. Other ship in port is Cunard's Queen Anne with almost 3,000 passengers.

I think that I confused Flåm with Geiranger, which I think is the port with the seawalk. Does anyone know whether there is docking for only one ship at Flåm, or for more? The port information says a maximum of 3 ships in port per day, but doesn't talk about docking vs tendering.

If the tender is 5:15 I should be fine; the tender dock is closer to the train station than the cruise pier. However, I have only done one previous ocean cruise on a very small ship, so I don't have a handle on the timing for tenders on SS.

How about you see if there’s a roll call on a SS ship in Flåm well before yours?   Someone on the spot might be able to help.  However, I realise Norway cruises don’t commence until spring and it might be too late for you to book the train.  I was there on Dawn in August, and we definitely tendered. (I checked photos.)  It was only 10 minutes or so, though. The tender jetty was near shops, with a 10 minute walk to the train station.

How about you see if there’s a roll call on a SS ship in Flåm well before yours?   Someone on the spot might be able to help.  However, I realise Norway cruises don’t commence until spring and it might be too late for you to book the train.  I was there on Dawn in August, and we definitely tendered. (I checked photos.)  It was only 10 minutes or so, though. The tender jetty was near shops, with a 10 minute walk to the train station.

Thanks for your help.

I have actually booked both the 13:30 and the 14:55 trains. (I can cancel for full refund up to 24 hours in advance.) If/when I get better information I will cancel one or the other. The 13:30 should be doable after the Næroyfjord cruise, but it might be tight without much chance to have something to eat for lunch. If it seems doable, I think I would prefer the 14:55.