Hobbitton - It Can Be Done

I recently read the whole 'Hobbiton Tour Cancelled'Ā  series of threads here is an update regarding the actual tour itself that CAN be done by Cruise ship pax.

Ā 

On Monday Dec 4 Hobbiton opened up two new exhibits (those being inside two adjacent Hobbit Holes).Ā  We visited on Tuesday Dec 5 thus were we some of the first to see the new exhibits.Ā  I can report that some minor detail within the exhibit has already been vandalised (stolen) but you have to look hard to find it.Ā  The tour staff are quick to see it and report it to the maintenance crew who come around each night to clean and fix etc.

Ā 

The tour is so professionally run and their attention to detail / timing and narration / inter-action with visitors is amazing.Ā  They take great care to explain some of the quirky detail as it relates to the movies while also explaining how the sets were designed, constructed and maintained.Ā  Truly a world class tour that should interest both those who are fans of the movies and those who are just interested in seeing what all the fuss is about.

Ā 

I certainly appreciated the complimentary mug of cool ale in the Green Dragon Inn after the tour.

Ā 

The Hobbiton folk are aware of the cancellation of tours organised by the Cruise lines.Ā  As it was explained to us; Hobbiton gets approximately 2000 visitors each day (ship or no ship) so they don't need the influx of multiple 40 seater coaches to stay afloat.Ā  Additionally, they know how much the Cruise lines charge to do the tour and therefore how much they skim off the top. So by not offering tours to Cruise lines we pax have do our homework and find local tour operators who offer the tour at a reasonable cost -Ā  thus a win win for pax and local tour operators.

Ā 

We thoroughly enjoyed our Hobbiton tour organised by myself using an independent operator.Ā 

Ā 

It was neither difficult nor confusing - do your research and ask around it is still possible to do this tour.

Ā 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Just goes to show what a rip off some of the ship's tours are. After a year of cruising (5 cruises in 12 months), I am now more confident about booking independent tours, and less concerned about the cruise line propaganda that I will miss the return time to the ship. These smaller companies stake their reputation on getting you back.

The other think I like is the small group aspect of independent tours. I had a bad experience on one ship'sĀ  tour when five huge coaches all converged together each stop. Plus, of course, the blatant profiteering by the cruise ships. One tour I tookĀ  cost $200, and the ship tour equivalent price was $400, for a much less personal experience.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 3

I totally agree. I use the ship's tours if I have OBC to use up, or there's no other viable option, otherwise more than happy to use independent operators. When using reputable companies and booking in advance, you can be sure of a good experience.

• Like 3

After checking out my cruise's shore excursions I booked very similar (and in both cases longer tours) with local NZ companies for a lot cheaper than the cruise was selling.Ā  For Wellington I researched NZ's tourism website and have worked out a do-it-yourself tour very similar to a shore excursion - mine will cost me approx NZ$30-35pp, the ship's approx NZ$150pp.Ā  I may have to wait a bit longer for transport whereas the ship tour will be driven by bus to the venue, but I don't mind waiting for the price difference.

• Like 4