Is the Thermal Spa pass still worth it (2024)?

1412p0oi

Hi, I have an upcoming Alaskan cruise with NCL in a few months. I haven't sailed with them before (or cruised at all) as of now, and it seems their prices are higher than what I've seen for other cruise lines (namely Princess). That being said, is $200 for a thermal spa pass worth it for a 7-day Alaskan cruise? Will I even get to enjoy a lounger once the pass likely sells out and everyone else comes?

Also, can I use onboard credits to partially purchase this before the cruise? I have $50 from my booking agent. Their app and website is extremely hard to use and crashes often, so I thought to just get honest opinions here before attempting to call anyone there. 

We enjoy the thermo spa, but depends on the itinerary on whether we purchase or not.

On 7 days cruise we will get if its a cold whether cruise where we might be indoor more often than out.  This being a AK trip we would definitely get it.  Any cruises 10 days or more is an automatic for us.

We have never found any problems getting loungers in the SPA.  Remember even though they sell out not everyone is in there at the same time. 

On rare occasions (especially sea days) it can get busy.  We find that 10-2 is usually the busiest so we will go early or later on those days.  But really even though its busy there are still loungers to be had.  At least in our experience.

• Like 2

For me it depends on itinerary. I always buy for fall TransAtlantics, but never for Caribbean...for a 7 day Alaska you probably have a lot of port days and few at sea days other than the Glacier Bay sail-thru. Personally I wouldn't get thermal spa on this kind of itinerary.

• Like 1

For warm weather places I'll take my chances with the vibe over the spa..   We had a spa balcony room and I used the spa exactly 1  time for about 90 minutes.. Was nice, but not worth it.. used the vibe 3 or 4 days :D..   

for alaska, i'd swap and if i got either would be spa 🙂

Edited by D_And_K_gocruising
  • Like 2

Chiming in to echo what several others have said.   It really depends on the ship and itinerary.  We really like the thermal suite on the Escape class ships, and find that we really take advantage of them on cooler weather cruises.

So if we were on the Bliss or Encore going to Alaska, I'd go for it.  Nothing like sitting in a heated lounger, the spa or even the sauna and looking out at the snowy mountains passing by. Seating "usually" isn't a problem, though they can get busy at times.

IIRC, the Seattle round trip itineraries have a full sea day, a cruising day for Glacier Bay or Endicot Arm, and the Victoria BC stop is late in the day, almost like a sea day.  Its nice having the thermal suite to get away from the sea day crowds.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the advice! I decided to get it this time, since I'll be on the Norwegian Jewel on a one-way trip from Vancouver to Alaska, with 2 scenic cruise days and a short itinerary day at Ketichikan, so I hope to make use of it enough to justify the price. 

• Like 1

The Jewel Class thermal spa is definitely worth it, with the Thalassotherapy pool, hot tubs and stuff. I get the pass when on a ship that has those, but not like the Pride of America or NCL Sun, where it's just a sauna and steam room and some showers.

I've found that it's a nice, quiet place to get away from the general hubbub and also to be in a child-free zone. 

Totally worth it to me but I enjoy relaxing while everyone is crowding in to see shows or get to dinner first.  I like returning early from port for a good soak then lounge.  
Being your first cruise, you may be busy trying a bunch of events and activities you have never done before and may not have time.  (If this does not sound like you, definitely book the spa 🙂 )

10 hours ago, dmrrn73 said:

Do you have to purchase the pass for the whole cruise? Or can you do a daily or multi day pass?

The pre-purchased pass is always for the full cruise.  Some cruises sell a day pass on board, usually for a port day, but it's not always sold and may not be an option when you want to try it.  

Edited by Pookie2u
Clarify the day pass is sold onboard
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 10:26 PM, 1412p0oi said:

is $200 for a thermal spa pass worth it for a 7-day Alaskan cruise?

Every time I see someone asking if something is "worth it" I chuckle. The question of "Is it worth it?" is subjective, based on peoples' individual preferences, monetary situation, desire to do other things on the ship, etc. What's "worth it" to me or anyone else may or may be worth it to you.

To answer your question, paying even $50 for the Thermal Spa for a week would not be worth it, since I wouldn't use it at any price (for me...YMMV).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone has hit the nail on the head. 

The value of a spa pass is very dependent on the situation. 

I'll get it every time when I'm sailing a sea heavy, repositioning or Carribean itinerary. 

I'll pass when I'm on a port heavy intinerary of places I want to visit.  

It is very much worth it in my opinion to have access to a comfortable area that isn't crowded to relax and watch the world go by. 

• Like 2

Let’s go ahead and “muddy “ the waters a bit. Wife and I did a 10 day Caribbean in May on the Getaway. Purchased the Thermal pass for entire trip. Loved it. Used it every day. 

Just completed a 16 day TA from Rome to Port Canaveral, on the Epic,  with 8 sea days, very cool days, I might add.   Bought the Thermal Pass for the entire trip. (very expensive). Used it one day!! Go figure! 😱

I do think the layout of the spa had a lot to do with it. We absolutely loved the Getaway’s spa configuration The Epic’s, not so much. 

• 2 months later...

We did the thermal spa on the Gem and it was incredible!  This one looks a little different.  I liked the Gem one as the co-ed space was huge and based on pics of the jewel one, the jewel one looks smaller.  The GEM one had a hot tub in the coed area as well as a big hydro pool.  The locker rooms also had the same stuff as the Jewel one. 

We are on a 12 night repo cruise from tampa to boston in march 2025 and I bought the pass for us.  I think I will keep it even though there are at least 6 ports on the sailing.  But, once we start heading north it will be quite nice.

I don't expect the pool area to be that crowded with this being a sailing not many kids will be on, but having the heated loungers and a hot tub to ourselves will be nice, although we won't be able to be in them together in the unisex locker rooms. 

Does that sound logical to everybody?