Folks without a home who cruise/travel year round!

Hlitner

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The one couple who we got to know the best, told us they did plan on buying another home in the future.  They were simply a young at heart couple having a lot of fun moving around the world...often on a whim.  They were the same couple who was going to house sit for a few months, and that did spark some discussion about this form of living...often rent free.  We did have several discussions about the RV "full timers" and we all agreed that the RV lifestyle was not for any of us.  RVs limit folks to where they can go (i.e. you cannot drive an RV across an ocean).  

I actually thought that DW and I could have done that kind of life, when we first retired and were still in our 50s.  The idea appeals to me, but I see it as something one could do for a few years, but not permanently.  Plenty of retirees have 2 or 3 homes and move around on a seasonal basis (i.e. snowbirds).  These folks simply did the same thing, but were not tied down with a specific address/location.  As to family, folks can visit family members from time to time and invite family to visit them (wherever they happen to be).  When DW and I first started spending our winters in Puerto Vallarta, our DD and SIL were annual visitors.  And the Guest Room was always ready for friends/family who wanted to visit for a few days or even weeks.  I did not post previously, but we once met a couple (in their 50s) in Puerto Vallarta that lived on a boat and sailed to different places around the world where they would spend weeks/months.  They were actually getting prepared to sail from Puerto Vallarta to Hawaii as part of a larger flotilla.   You could say they were like RVers on water :). 

Hank

I understand the whimsy part.   When we were much younger, we once went to the airport, passports in hand, with nothing booked.  We looked at the departures board.  Tried for London but couldn't get on.  Ended up stand-by on a flight to Paris that was pretty open.   Then 1-800 Holiday Inn from an airport pay phone and we were good to go!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kristelle said:

But its not really different to  living on land in a separate location to the people you short term visit - while you are visiting, you either stay with them or rent a hotel etc

I dont have a stake in it either - since it is neither for me nor I have the funds to do it anyway.

In that sense not different.   I wouldn't do it either, even if I had the funds.