Yacht Club vs Explora Journeys

morpheusofthesea

On 12/29/2023 at 9:10 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

Our maitre d' of Fil Rouge came from Celebrity. He opened both the Edge and Beyond, holding the position of maitre d of Blu and Eden restaurants, then he went to work for MSC as manager of Specialty Restaurants on the Seashore. He held that position for 2 months and quit, it was too much for him dealing with 5500 (of the "wider audience").

This is very telling as was the story of our waiter in Fil Rouge having worked for Viking and landing this waiter position on Explora telling his wife she can now stay home with the kids. Our breakfast waiter, also the Captains dinner waiter, coming from Regent is interesting. As an afterthought, wishing I had questioned them further on their decisions. Could it just be 'the grass being a little greener'? Or is it  that the Explora Journeys promises both guests and hosts a 'new' experience ? That the loyal past guests on the formally tried and true cruise lines (in these cases, Celebrity, Viking and Regent) are complaining that service and food is no longer what they have come to expect at even higher fares and the point of contact service providers are taking the 'hit' in the form of little to no tipping that they once enjoyed ? Remember a previous post when I visited the guest services host for a copy of my final bill for the first week and noticed it did not list any hotel service charge like we all get in the Yacht Club ($98 per week). I said to him "No gratuities ?" "No sir, but if you wish to acknowledge exceptional service you may do so in cash to that service host." (I tipped him $10).

My question stands. What is going on? Why is there no reciprocal loyalty from our favorite service people to our favorite venues ? "We have met the enemy, and they is us." (?) Walt Kelly

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 1/11/2024 at 3:32 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Being told Hotel at Sea concept not working out by hiring mostly hotel staff vs tried and true veteran cruise staff. The word "lazy" was used to describe land based workers. That CEO, Sales & Marketing and top department heads are being encouraged to leave or will be asked to leave in the coming months.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/people-opinions/explora-journeys-ceo-michael-ungerer-leaving

MSC Head Mr. Vago to take over.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

MSC Head Mr. Vago to take over.

For Explora, I'm going to continue to sit on the sideline and wait things out. Maybe in a few years when both of my kids and the brand are a bit older....

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1