Is it easy to get a table for 2 in open seating on QM2?

SSCAF001

Hello,

I am about to embark QM2 in Southampton on January 11 for 37 nights. I have chosen the "Open seating" option as a dining preference. For those having some experience, is it easy to get a table for 2 for a dinner starting  between 7:30pm to 8:00 pm or should I expect to wait each evening for a long time and basically end up starting my dinner more or less at the same time as the late seating. Many thanks in advance for your replies!

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

No two evenings in the Main Dining room (on open sitting) are going to be the same. You will need to managed your dining arrangements on the day . 

Thanks. Does it mean that every morning I will have to make my request using the app very early? 

47 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

Thanks. Does it mean that every morning I will have to make my request using the app very early? 

Personally it's not anything I've ever done on Open Dining, I just walk up to the restaurant when I'm ready. I'm app savvy too but I've not used it for that (I have used the App for Alternative Dining reservations, that is a bit different). As a single traveller I have not once been denied a table for 2, on my own, very occasionally that has meant going downstairs to deck 2, which isn't quite as nice. In theory they could ask you to wait, or give you a bleeper, but my last 3 trips on QM2, all in the last 6 months, that hasn't been necessary.  When you embark you will get a card in your stateroom with a suggested time, I just ignore it, as would the front desk of Britannia.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 2

When we did open dining on QE this autumn, we occasionally booked a time for the following night on the way out of the restaurant. Or if we were waiting for the daily programme to confirm port times etc, just popped back to the maitre’d desk before it closed. It worked well and the staff didn’t mind. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, devolve said:

When we were on QV this year tables for 2 were extremely close together.

On Open Dining (Q.Vic)  yes, five tables for two in a long line with a three inch space in-between each , looked more like a canteen,  whilst  Fixed dining on deck three perfectly spaced, the arrangement  didn't appear to be any different from pre pandemic . My idea of a perfect dining experience , dedicated table and wait staff who understand your preferences and welcome you by name. 👍  

• Thanks 1

Yes but as others have said, many are very close together ! However there are a few that are more “isolated”. The one thing I liked about the open dining is that you have no fear of being stuck with table mates you don’t get on with, and then having to ask for elsewhere via the maitre d’. However do feel sorry for the lovely staff as you don’t get chance to get to know them on open dining.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devolve said:

When we were on QV this year tables for 2 were extremely close together.

On QV and QE they are fairly close together, there's a bit more space on QM2 particularly the Deck 3 level, which has a series of levels, galleries to it. That perhaps gives the impression of space (and perhaps not the actuality!). 

On QM2 Open is Deck 3, fixed in Deck 2. QE and QV it's the other way around, with Open on Deck 2. On QV I remember the hotel manager telling me that it's the same distances apart on both decks, but pointed out that the impression of space is often dictated by how high the roofing is directly above. So in the central area it can feel more spacious, it's not, but there's a huge open area there.

Note that on Open Dining you can be fed up or down to the other deck. Of my current total of 48 nights on Open Dining I've been taken up or down 7 times, so a greater than 10% chance. It seems to happen most if you arrive a bit after the Fixed Dining time "last call" - they can then see if they have better resources in "the other place".

And if you shown up often enough, the amazing powers of recollection of some staff will surprise you!

• Like 1