Overbooking!!

LB_NJ

2 hours ago, sherylc said:

Not in this case. Celebrity told some of those affected that there had been a computer glitch where inventory wasn't reduced when the ship changed from the Solstice to the Millennium. Many groups were split up where one or two cabins of a 6 cabin group were told they were cancelled -- no options at all. What's worse is that there is now quite a bit of inventory available (final payment date just passed) and these "cancelled" people would have to pay the new price if they wanted back on.

Yes, there was a huge thread about the complete screw-up around the cruises involving Japan. Actually more than one...just horrendous...there was also some mention of double bookings for the same staterooms...cabins weren't designated as unavailable or some such thing. Nasty...I'm pretty sure a lot of folks on here remember that one...and many were affected...

5 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

I read an article a few weeks ago that said that the cancellations for Japan sailings were because their government was requiring reduced capacity on sailings departing Japan. Anyone else read that? 

I read something similar here on a cruise critic, thread by a gentleman that had actually just returned from sailing on the millennium just recently through Japan.  He said that the ship was not sailing at full capacity, and the reason was that Japan had required the ships not sale at full capacity.  He commented that he had bid on a suite, and he did not get upgraded. There were many empty suites available. When he returned he called Celebrity and questioned it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MandL said:

I read something similar here on a cruise critic, thread by a gentleman that had actually just returned from sailing on the millennium just recently through Japan.  He said that the ship was not sailing at full capacity, and the reason was that Japan had required the ships not sale at full capacity.  He commented that he had bid on a suite, and he did not get upgraded. There were many empty suites available. When he returned he called Celebrity and questioned it.

Thanks! That may be where I read it. 

8 hours ago, hcat said:

Not sure how it can be "oversold" ..even with a crappy  IT set up!

They were informed well in advance of the ship's sailing. 

How was it over sold, as stated above, they changed ships from Solstice, passenger capacity of 3046, to Millennium which has a passenger capacity of 2158.