Would any insurance have covered the recent cancellation of the three-year cruise?

Hi, Steve. I'm wondering if there was any insurance that could have provided coverage for the people on the three-year cruise that got cancelled right before sailing recently. Would it even have been something that could be covered since it was (supposed to be) so long? 

I don’t work for any company that sells insurance, but I doubt it. I know for my world cruises, I’ve had somewhat limited insurance offerings. Many don’t cover more than 90 days. We tacked on pre and post cruise trips to visit friends in Florida. The length of time we were gone exceeded the max duration for our trip insurance. So we calculated it from the day we left home until the day the ship returned to Florida. We figured once we were in the US, our regular medical insurance would cover us.

In the case of the three-year cruise cancellation, the cruise line offered fulled reimbursement, including other travel arrangements to those who no longer want to travel and rebooking those who do want to travel on the next expected departure. 

None of the comprehensive plans offer would offer coverage for a trip that is that long.It would most likely be something that would need special underwriting.  Also, the cost of the trip could exceed the max trip cost for many plans.  In this cast, the cruise line canceled the sailing due to not being able to secure a ship.  That's not a covered reason for canceling and being reimbursed.  I would say that there would most likely not be coverage for this type of cruise with traditional travel insurance and the traveler would nee to work with the cruise line for reimbursement of expenses.