Galveston- for RCCL- renting a folding wheelchair?

This will be a first time needing to rent a wheelchair for cruise. As in the title, we will be cruising out of Galveston on Royal Caribbean.

Does anyone have experience with renting a wheelchair in Galveston for a RCCL cruise?  TIA 

Have not rented a wheelchair out of Galveston; however, have rented many times for cruises, including on Royal Caribbean.  

Have you seen Royal's mobility page?   You will need to rent either form Scootaround or Special Needs at Sea.   These are the two vendors allowed to access Royal's ships in the United States.  You might want to compare the cost of renting vs buying.   Of course if you buy (or rent from another company near your home), you will have to bring the wheelchair with you during your travels instead of having it waiting for you in your room or outside the terminal.   If you compare pricing between Scootaround and Special Needs, use discount USCRUISE (from United Spinal) for Scootaround (you might have to call to have the code applied).    

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

Royal will also want you to fill out a Special Needs Form.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2024 at 10:17 AM, kokopelli-az said:

Have not rented a wheelchair out of Galveston; however, have rented many times for cruises, including on Royal Caribbean.  

Have you seen Royal's mobility page?   You will need to rent either form Scootaround or Special Needs at Sea.   These are the two vendors allowed to access Royal's ships in the United States.  You might want to compare the cost of renting vs buying.   Of course if you buy (or rent from another company near your home), you will have to bring the wheelchair with you during your travels instead of having it waiting for you in your room or outside the terminal.   If you compare pricing between Scootaround and Special Needs, use discount USCRUISE (from United Spinal) for Scootaround (you might have to call to have the code applied).    

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

Royal will also want you to fill out a Special Needs Form.  

Hi Kokopelli, just an FYI, when I called Scootaround yesterday, was told they don't accept discount codes; that was news to me.  I'm not sure I trust the rep since I've used it successfully in the past.  Nevertheless, thought I'd pass this on to you because you've been so helpful to me personally before.  BTW, I went with SNAS this time because, surprisingly, it was $100 cheaper than Scootaround, even using my past-renter points.  

We just rented from Scootaround earlier this month.    Nothing different about discount codes.   We'll be renting again for a cruise in April.   

If no discount code is accepted,  that will be a game changer.   Hmmm

Thanks for the update.