LIVE! HAL Oosterdam 1/7-1/29 South America & Antarctica—Let’s Cruise!

So many penguins!  And gale force winds—I got a free skin dermabration.

very windy on way back—so rocky boat—more later cause reading phone makes me a little dizzy

And we are docked in town!

IMG_5038.jpeg

IMG_5021.jpeg

IMG_4986.jpeg

IMG_4978.jpeg

IMG_4969.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2024 at 6:02 PM, TravelBluebird said:

We had just a perfect dinner at Caneletto’s. The restaurant was not busy at all, and so we were lavished with service.  

For starters we each had the Grilled TIger Shrimp with Salsa verde (perfectly cooked shrimp, well grilled with a delicious sauce).  We shared the Burrata with Plum Tomatoes (where do they get these flavorful tomatoes in Chile? They are amazing!).

DH got the Ossobuco (brown not tomato sauce; very nice) and I got the Broiled Lobster Tails on spaghetti and warm crab mayonnaise.  Loved them; $15 up charge for the lobster.  The restaurant overall was a $25 up charge each.

For desert, DH had Affogato and I had the Baked Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake. Great flavor and texture to the cheese cake, and mixed berries not that horrid strawberry sauce some places pour all over their cheesecake.  

We had a chance to tell the chef how much we enjoyed it. The staff said they are never completely full this trip, and to just stop by if we want to eat there!

IMG_3883.jpeg

IMG_3884.jpeg

IMG_3885.jpeg

IMG_3886.jpeg

IMG_3887.jpeg

IMG_3892.jpeg

IMG_3893.jpeg

IMG_3882.jpeg

I love Canaletto. Never been disappointed, lucky I guess

• Like 1

I was so tired from the wind and early wake up  I curled up my most excellent, soft and warm Land’s End coat, propped it against the window, and fell asleep on the boat!  I never nap, DH WAS SURPRISED.

Had some severe weather impacts.  Was a sudden squall when one of the tenders was returning today at midday, and the tender ricked quite wildly.  Someone on the tender told me 4 women fell.  A friend of one of the women told me she had stitches but is on ship and OK.

Tendering was briefly suspended after that.

My tender back was quite rocky but OK around 2pm.

I understand one tour was cancelled this afternoon—I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the afternoon penguin tour. 

Also we are departing Punta Arenas about 3 hours late due to a Holland America excursion that has not returned yet.  I don’t know which tour yet.

Captain says we will make it OK to Ushuia BUT will gave to travel at a VERY quick pace tonight 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I spent the afternoon on an almost 3 hour work Zoom call.  Got disconnected and Internet stopped working well when everyone got back to the ship.

Whdn J get back to room later I’ll curate more penguin photos and tell you about dinner etc!

• Like 5

We only departed about 2 hours late. Moving at 21 knots. We are actually scheduled to arrive early in Ushuaia!

Here are some more penguins! In one hour I managed to take about 500 photos and short videos!  There were also sea gulls with babies, cormorants (a big circle of them!) and an odd goose and skua or so.  At one time there were well over 100,000 Magellanic Penguins on the island, now there is about 8,000 to 10,000. There are fewer sardines in the water, so many are choosing to nest in Argentina now.

These photos are from my 35mm Nikon:

DSC_6467.jpeg

DSC_6475.jpeg

DSC_6545.jpeg

DSC_6465.jpeg

DSC_6609.jpeg

DSC_6586.jpeg

DSC_6560.jpeg

DSC_6549.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I FINALLY got another video up. Don’t ask. So many internet problems, so I’m behind. Have taped the next one in the series and will tape installment 3 (4 if you count the “late departure” video) tomorrow or Monday.

Videos are always behind the LIVE blog!

• Like 3

DH walked to the center of Punta Arenas while I worked this afternoon. He enjoyed some octopus  tacos, and took some photos. The central square was about 20 minutes from the ship—uphill on the way there; downhill back.

IMG_9248.jpeg

IMG_9247.jpeg

IMG_9246.jpeg

IMG_9245.jpeg

IMG_9244.jpeg

IMG_9243.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 7

Here are some photos showing more of the excursion aspects to Isla Magdalena to see the penguins. It is a VERy expensive excursion at $289 a person, but I would totally do it again.

The ship has bathrooms and a nice concessions stand with good coffee, snacks, books (bird book—I was so tempted) and maps. I wouldn’t go near the coffee on the trip out since there are no bathrooms on the island.

Also a photo of the crazy circular cormorant nesting grounds

DSC_6615.jpeg

DSC_6619.jpeg

IMG_5032.jpeg

IMG_9168.jpeg

IMG_9229.jpeg

IMG_3257.png

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 10

I was so tired at dinner that I forgot to take photos of the menu and lots of the food.

Tonight was latin themed.  I had shrimp tacos and glazed salmon with salsa an cilantro rice; DH had the carne asada. All was dellicious.

We then went to see the dance show; the first show we’ve attended. Very good dancers; well trained and good choreography—we enjoyed it, but with live music would have been so much better. No photos; no one else was taking any so I didn’t want to disturb anyone.

Last image is of the sky at almost 11pm!

Tomorrow at 9am we have our first Antarctic Team lecture. I have included their bios below.  Then we have our first Argentina port. We’re taking the “train to the end of the world”

IMG_5097.jpeg

IMG_5192.jpeg

IMG_5191.jpeg

IMG_5190.jpeg

IMG_5195.jpeg

IMG_5098.jpeg

IMG_5099.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Evidently with the speedier arrival at Ushuaia Glacier Alley happened at 7am to 8am, and I missed it. Heard a hall announcement at 7:45, ran to get dressed (should have thrown my coat over my PJS 😂 ) and got the back end of the last big glacier and the last one which was mostly shroudedj in fog. Calm wind, light rain. There was fresh snow in the hills,

Waiting for our first Antarctica lecture on Antarctica’s Rocks and Regions by Adrian Corvino,

We arrived at 8:30 for 9am and the pace was already almost totally full; we found seats in the flat area. Have to arrive early for lectures!

Heading in to town before our 3:25 meeting time in the theater for our excursion.

IMG_5202.jpeg

IMG_5213.jpeg

IMG_5230.jpeg

IMG_5236.jpeg

IMG_5238.jpeg

IMG_5246.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 11

Oh that is too bad missing out on Glacier Alley as well as the Petrohue Falls at Puerto Montt. Fortunately when we cruise the other way we leave at 3:30 pm so should be there and through before dinner. 

• Like 1

A question on the HAL tour to Isla Magdalenas.  Were you picked up right at the ship or in town.

A few years back when we did the tour, private, we met in town, took a bus and then a boat to the Isla.  Fairly long bus ride.  Your way sounds much better.

15 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

A question on the HAL tour to Isla Magdalenas.  Were you picked up right at the ship or in town.

A few years back when we did the tour, private, we met in town, took a bus and then a boat to the Isla.  Fairly long bus ride.  Your way sounds much better.

@roberts2005 We were picked up right on the pier!  It was extremely convenient; no bus ride needed at all.

Edited by TravelBluebird

1 hour ago, caneable said:

Oh that is too bad missing out on Glacier Alley as well as the Petrohue Falls at Puerto Montt. Fortunately when we cruise the other way we leave at 3:30 pm so should be there and through before dinner. 

I was sad to miss it indeed, but it’s all good as I really needed the sleep to enjoy the rest of the day.

• Like 1

Enjoyed the geology and zones of Antarctica lecture.

We are back in our room enjoying the beautiful views. Current view out my window enclosed. LOTS of snow covered mountains this morning and it is a brisk 36 degrees F.

IMG_3266.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 3

Ushuaia is surrounded by snow covered mountains. It is fantastic—so stunning! Truly looks like the end of the world.

The Azamara Quest is in port with us today, as well as another ship.

IMG_5341.jpeg

IMG_5313.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, TravelBluebird said:

Enjoyed the geology and zones of Antarctica lecture.

We are back in our room enjoying the beautiful views. Current view out my window enclosed. LOTS of snow covered mountains this morning and it is a brisk 36 degrees F.

IMG_3266.jpeg

Hi Dee. Just wondering about your white metal "thingy things" outside the balcony. You commented on the "obstructed view" on day one. I am wondering just how far toward aft these things go. Like how many cabins back are they there? I will be opposite side about 5 cabins aft.

15 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

I FINALLY got another video up. Don’t ask. So many internet problems, so I’m behind. Have taped the next one in the series and will tape installment 3 (4 if you count the “late departure” video) tomorrow or Monday.

Videos are always behind the LIVE blog!

Thank you for all this info on blog and vlog.... I am looking forward to your cabin tour video... Was pleased to hear you say there was plenty of storage space! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Hi Dee. Just wondering about your white metal "thingy things" outside the balcony. You commented on the "obstructed view" on day one. I am wondering just how far toward aft these things go. Like how many cabins back are they there? I will be opposite side about 5 cabins aft.

@FLCruiser97 5 cabins aft of me should be fine!—it’s the next 3 cabins that have the white metal things in view—4125, 4127 and 4129.  Here are 2 views for you.

At the end of the white things is a mobility disabled room (I have an acquaintance that is staying there so she showed me the room) which has views from 2 sides-ish so is totally fine, and the next room is clear of them.

IMG_5543.jpeg

IMG_5540.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, perrysburg said:

Thank you for all this info on blog and vlog.... I am looking forward to your cabin tour video... Was pleased to hear you say there was plenty of storage space! 

@perrysburg Yes, even without having lots of drawers.

I do wish there was a bit more room for toiletries in the bathroom, but I travel with one of those 3 compartment toiletries bag which I hang on the door in the bathroom, so I do recommend that for this room, especially for a woman who has makeup, face creams, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a lovely late morning and early afternoon walking around Ushuaia!

Couple of things to know before you go:

1. This is a WINDY port. And I mean windy.  Although the temperature was about 40 degrees when I went out, I brought my heaviest coat AND used the hood for the long pier walk. Better in town when you are not walking on the sea front (which we also did).

2. Lots of great restaurants; many were closed on a Sunday today.

3. Great place for souvenirs, and I’m not big into them usually. Its the whole “Fin del Mundo” / End of the World vibe.  Several stores are easy walking distance from the pier.

4. The End of the World Sign is right beside the pier; easy walk, as are several monuments.

5. So many ships! This is a jumping off point for many Antarctica Expedition type cruises.

5.  If you have an afternoon excursion and try to get back to the ship, there is a LONG line at the terminal to get on to the pier.  Do NOT wait in that line; that is for embarking passengers on the ships leaving today. If you wave your ship card inside the terminal, they will wave you right through. Phew!

Had a great morning, and the Train to the End of the World is next!  Photos to follow later

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Ushuaia is surrounded by snow covered mountains. It is fantastic—so stunning! Truly looks like the end of the world.

The Azamara Quest is in port with us today, as well as another ship.

IMG_5341.jpeg

IMG_5313.jpeg

Thanks for so many great pictures.  We will be on Oosterdam in Ushuaia February 27 and on Quest starting March 6.

• Like 1