Motion Sickness

capawana

Please help. This will be my fifth cruise. And every day that we are out to sea and not in port I get very bad motion sickness. My doctor said I shou try anti vertigo meds a few days before. I am past the patch (didnt work) and all the other traditional methods and new ideas out there. I love to cruise and must beat this motion problem. I am even tryin an inside cabin this trip because I couldn't bear to look out at the water my last cruise

Thanks

Capawana

www.megellans.com has whats called a "Relief Band". It's for motion sickness and you wear it like a wrist watch.

Went deep sea fishing last year and my buddy got sea sick. Ex Navy guy. Never had a problem on the ships. Anyway, the Captain let him wear this Relief Band and about 5 minutes later he was back up and fishing. Said he felt great.

I just recently bought one but haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet.

I always go to the pharmacy and buy the generic motion sickness pills called meclizine. Take one the day before the cruise and one the morning of the cruise. That works well for both me and my wife.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400 Until the FUN begins on the TRIUMPH!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scottp:

I always go to the pharmacy and buy the generic motion sickness pills called meclizine. Take one the day before the cruise and one the morning of the cruise. That works well for both me and my wife.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I take one every night during the cruise, starting the night before boarding. I used to get dizzy pretty easily on the cruises, now I don't get any symptoms of motion sickness at all.

<center><font size="-1"><hr>Also known as Dave, who is Openly Addicted to Cruising!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800 until I hop on my last-minute cruise choice -- the Carnival Spirit to Alaska!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;9;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 until I set sail on the Carnival Glory with O.A.T.C.!

</font><font face="arial narrow, verdana, arial, helvetica" size="-2">

Sitmar Fairwind (7/87–Caribbean) ⊕ Sitmar Fairwind (12/88–Panama Canal)

Carnival Sensation (8/00–Caribbean) ⊕ Grand Princess (5/01–Caribbean)

Crystal Harmony (8/02–Alaska) ⊕ Carnival Conquest (9/03–Caribbean)

Carnival Spirit (6/04–Alaska) ⊕ Carnival Glory (9/04–Caribbean)

If's the ship is a-rockin'... Check the stabilizers. (And get your mind out of the gutter!)

</font></center>

I guess I'm lucky. After the first two days, I don't need them anymore!! Well, if the weather gets rough and the ship starts rockin, I will take another one as a precautionary measure!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400 Until the FUN begins on the TRIUMPH!!!

I second the motion for the Sea Bands...and the ginger does work wonders for an upset stomach. There's a product called Gravol (it's a Canadian product though, don't know what it's called in the States...even though I live in CA now) that works really well.

Good luck!

~J

Miracle 6/26!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;26;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I also use the meclazine and it works great.I get sick just watching someone turn a round in circles.I take one a day starting about 2 days before I cruise-to give it time to get in my system.It works great for me. I used to use the patch but had problems when I rubbed my eyes and had some of the med.on my hands and it got in my eyes.Dilated eyes for the rest of the cruise-just a problem not a medical emergency.So now I will only use the meclazine.

Good luck.

Karen

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;12;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600  Till we are Elated again

Destiny 1-99

Celebration 9-00

Crown 3-01

Ocean 10-01

Golden 2-02

Golden 12-14-02

Grand 1-19-03

Conquest 5-4-03

Jubilee 8-23-03

Elation 1-11-04

Elation 12-19-04

I have been really worried about getting sick on my upcoming Conquest cruise. Although I've never been seasick.... the older I get the more I suffer from motion sickness. I wonder if there are different types of motion sickness. i.e.-usually I get motion sickness when I am a passenger in a moving vehicle, while looking out the side window. I believe it has something to do with the velocity of the moving car, versus my eyes trying to focus on the stationary objects out the window.... For some reason when looking out the front window I don't get sick. I have also noticed I now get sick on roller coaster rides that I used to love. I just get temporarily dizzy and nauseous, but never throw up.

While on the ship, other than initially leaving port and cruising down the Mississippi River, there won't be anything out the window, balcony or otherwise off the ship to focus on (maybe the horizon). Thus, I wonder if I will get sick? I know this is something that cannot be predicted and I hope it doesn't happen, but I am concerned. My TA recommended getting a RX from my doctor. I can't decide whether or not I should take something as a precaution or just see how it goes.

You can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl!countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;9;19;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Girls Only Conquest!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;2;12;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Sensation Family Cruise

You say you've already tried all the medical prevention methods and are consulting a doctor for advice. The only thing I can think of in that area that might be worth exploring is to address the discomfort not the reason for it.

Most comonly we suggest different prevention methods and get really focused on trying to NOT let motion cause discomfort in the first place. For a lot of people once the discomfort is there it's a losing battle.

You might explore, with your doctor, remedies instead of preventions. I have a friend who controls the effects of motion sickness with acid reflux medication.

But IMHO your doctor is on the right track talking about anti-vertigo issues.

I do have one simple proposal for you that just might work. I've only heard this one once but have used it for other potential motion discomfort situations.

I know this is going to sound wierd but really has worked.

Go to a playground with a friend and play on the teeter-totter or a swing....whatever is apt to make you sick the fastest.

Start going back and forth or up and down until you feel discomfort. That may be just one or two times but count them. Stop when you feel discomfort and take a break till you feel better or, better yet, come back the next day and do it again, trying to go just one more time than last time.

The hope is that eventually you work up to playing like a little kid with no discomfort. In any event, either motion will replicate the motion on a cruise ship well and the method can be used to effectively test whatever treatment you are hopeful will be the one before you get on a ship.

For you it may not be a swing or teeter totter, it may be a ride in the car or elevator.

I think it's worth trying at this point

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Sapphire Princess June '05

Caribbean Princess 09/17/05

Carnival Valor 10/30/05

Wow, you said the patch didn't work for you!

Does anyone know which is the most powerful between the patch, the wristband, the ginger, etc?

My wife and I did the patch last time for a 4-day cruise and we were fine. I don't know if a patch is strong enough for a week. What can 10 and 13 year-old use?

Conquest, we will be with you

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;27;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I am with Scott P on the meclizine. I get seasick just standing on the dock. The meclizine taken one each day at breakfast worked wonders. I stood on the bow of a catamaran going up and down and never got sick. what didn't work for me: the patch, ginger tablets, and the sea bands. Hope you find something that works for you. Motion sickness is the pits. Kim

I got sick on train to Vancouver. Almost sick, but it was right there.

Anyway, I bought the regular and non drowsy Dramine for ship. Used regular years ago, but had some dizzy, dry side effects. Tried to other this time. No side effects and not a sign of motion sickness.

Alaska via Spirit 6/2/04

I have suffered from motion sickness my whole life. It was the major reason I never wanted to cruise. When I was finally talked into it, in 2001, we cruised during a category 4 hurricane.I was armed with Bonine and popped another pill any time I started feeling sick. I did make it through that cruise and 3 others since. Bonine has always worked for me with few side effects.

Next week we are sailing from Seattle to Alaska and I bought the Releif Band today. Although I have been fine with Bonine I also am taking other medications that are working well right now and I don't want to mess up the mix.I will bring Bonine with me just in case but I hope everything I have read about the Relief Band is true and I won't need to use the pills.

I'll report back when I return.

Archived