Single-day wifi pass or buying minutes?

Is there an option for buying wifi access for only part of a cruise, or paying by the minute? I've booked a private tour the morning of day 3 on an Alaska cruise this summer, and the tour provider is asking for a way to reach me while I'm traveling. I don't expect my phone to work in Alaska (I have a small provider) and I wasn't planning to buy wifi on the ship; I like to unplug on vacation. However, if they really do need a way to reach me, do I have any options other than purchasing unlimited wifi for the entire week? Could I get a 24 hour pass the day before, or just buy enough minutes to check my email a few times?

Thanks for any help!

I noticed a special on Equinox this past week that was buy one hour of internet, get two hours free. Also, usually part way through the cruise, they’ll offer the wifi packages 40% off. 

• Like 1

If you are Elite or higher you will get free internet minutes that can be used incrementally so you can log on check and then log off  

If not they do have an option of 1 hour or 1 day but they are Continuous -  So if you bought a 1 hour package it is good for 60 minutes starting from when you first log on and is not cumulative.   Same for the 1 day pass.

3 hours ago, maiaaya said:

I noticed a special on Equinox this past week that was buy one hour of internet, get two hours free. Also, usually part way through the cruise, they’ll offer the wifi packages 40% off. 

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

If not they do have an option of 1 hour or 1 day but they are Continuous -  So if you bought a 1 hour package it is good for 60 minutes starting from when you first log on and is not cumulative.   Same for the 1 day pass.

Thank you both! It's a shame I can't just get an hour and use it in pieces, but a one day package should work if it does turn out I need it.

19 hours ago, GlitterFemme said:

Thank you both! It's a shame I can't just get an hour and use it in pieces, but a one day package should work if it does turn out I need it.

You might do best by getting a Sim or e-Sim for the region you will be sailing.    There is an App called Airalo.    They have accounts as low as 4.50 for 7 day 1 GB of data

I believe for all Sim's you need an unlocked phone (carriers unlock when you pay off a contract or buy without a contrace)    Might even be cheaper to buy a burner phone -

First I would check with your carrier even if a small carrier and find out if they have any data roaming packages. It might be sets to call them and ask with your specifics.   After all Alaska is part of the U.S. so is covered under most cell phone roaming.

• Like 1

Small providers Boost Mobile and MetroPCS both have great coverage in Alaska.  In many cases the ship tower isn't turned on because ship is close to shore, so phone works well.  Only place we have had problems is Vancouver, since these providers are US only.