Fastest ride from Miami cruise to FLL airport

odie324

Posted (edited)

We have taken the carnival shuttle from Miami cruise to FLL airport in the past for an 11:30 am flight and had to sit on that bus and wait for the rest to show up before we left the cruiseport. We did make it in time but stressful.   This time booked a PM flight and Jetblue just changed the time on us to 11 AM. (yikes)!  Anybody with SAS experience getting to the FLL airport as soon as you can get off the ship in Miami?   I'm thinking this may be quicker.

Edited by odie324

I would not want to be on a shared ride targeting a flight that early, nor would I want to rely on baggage assistance. I would carry my own bags off and hop a cab (no worry about meeting a particular driver/vehicle- first available will do!)

I'd also want a plan B if I didn't make the plane.

17 hours ago, odie324 said:

Anybody with SAS experience getting to the FLL airport

We have experience with them NEVER picking us up from POM to take us to FLL.

You are better off with a Lyft or Uber. That's what we did this time and it went very smoothly. Our flight was at 6 pm, so we weren't in a hurry and left the ship after 9 am. If you leave early, you should be fine.

We used SAS for transportation after our cruise in October and were very happy with their service. They had good communication with us as were getting off the ship and through customs and the driver was waiting for us when we exited the terminal. Others may have had a different experiences with them but we were very happy with their service. If you do not want to use them for transportation for an early flight I would recommend using Uber of Lyft.

Thanks for the input.  We have ultimately decided to spend another night. Do not want to end a vacation under stress.  We are, however going to use SAS for our transportation to the Hotel in Miami from FLL airport since with 6 of us it seems to be quite a reasonable price compared to others.🙂

On 1/8/2024 at 8:37 PM, odie324 said:

We have taken the carnival shuttle from Miami cruise to FLL airport in the past for an 11:30 am flight and had to sit on that bus and wait for the rest to show up before we left the cruiseport. We did make it in time but stressful.   This time booked a PM flight and Jetblue just changed the time on us to 11 AM. (yikes)!  Anybody with SAS experience getting to the FLL airport as soon as you can get off the ship in Miami?   I'm thinking this may be quicker.

I have taken the POM-FLL Carnival shuttle many times, usually on the first bus and we never are full.  The next bus comes and the dispatcher sends off the bus 3/4 full.

Recently have used SAS and plan on using them again in May of this year.

With that being said, we took our time getting off of the ship (9:30) and waited 55 minutes to be picked up (was due to traffic he said). Once we started to leave the port, we immediately turned around to pick up a couple of passengers from another ship that called in. We were not concerned because we had a 2:00 flight out of FLL, but would have been stressing if it were an earlier flight.

On 1/9/2024 at 2:23 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

We have experience with them NEVER picking us up from POM to take us to FLL.

You are better off with a Lyft or Uber. That's what we did this time and it went very smoothly. Our flight was at 6 pm, so we weren't in a hurry and left the ship after 9 am. If you leave early, you should be fine.

How much did it cost to go from the POM to FLL?

25 minutes ago, jubejubes said:

How much did it cost to go from the POM to FLL?

after waiting for several hours that day we and another family ended up making a deal with a different shuttle company who took pity on us. $20 pp, so $60 total plus a tip. We and the other family who was also waiting for SAS were the only people left....

This time we took an uber and it was $60+ tip for the 5 of us.

On 1/14/2024 at 9:12 AM, Luke gs Daddy said:

Not to hi-jack a thread, however. What are your thoughts on making a 10:20 flight from FLL from POM?

Carnival Sunrise in March.

Thanks

my humble opinion - no.

On our very first cruise out of PE we didn't know any better. We got a 10 am return flight out of FLL and we made it to the gate when they were literally closing the door....

Other people made it to FLL out of PE for their 9 am flight, but I wouldn't risk such an early flight when you are sailing out of POM.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 9:12 AM, Luke gs Daddy said:

Not to hi-jack a thread, however. What are your thoughts on making a 10:20 flight from FLL from POM? Carnival Sunrise in March.

It's doable.  We were off an NCL ship in POM last January.  It was a Sunday morning, so light traffic.  We quickly walked-off our ship with our luggage, booked an Uber during the walk to the curb, and we were at FLL by 8:40am....more than 4 hours early for our flight.  Too early to even check our bags!