Is the Amazing Race excursion in Cozumel "safe"??

SRQMom

We are traveling with a family group and thought the Amazing Race excursion offered by NCL in Cozumel looks fun...but a few people are concerned about the safety of roaming the streets (basically off on our own) in Mexico.  I'm guessing Cozumel is more "touristy" and it would have to be safe or the excursion wouldn't be offered, but I'm always a bit too trusting.  Anybody done this excursion recently??? Thanks!

I cannot answer your question specifically about that excursion.

However, DH and I often walk from the ship into Cozumel downtown and beyond.

The only true "dangers" we have felt are the heat of the day, and, being constantly asked to buy things we do not want.  Mostly, everyone participating would need to be able to keep a rather quick pace, if "winning" is your objective!

My wife and I did the Amazing Cozumel Race last month from our 7-day NCL Viva cruise.  Had a great time!  Totally felt safe the entire time.  The 'race' takes place in touristy Old Cozumel. There were 16 teams from 3 cruise ships competing, and the organizing company (Amazing Race Cozumel) had 5-6 staff members assigned to the race, moving from and to the checkpoints.  Let me know if you have any questions.

• Thanks 1

We had fun with this quite a number of years ago to.  It was really well run, and something that was not like anything else we had done anywhere.  We really enjoyed it, and never felt unsafe at all.

My son and I did it a couple of weeks ago and it’s in the tourist areas. The locals are used to the race and can even be helpful. The race is very well run and the staff keep a close eye on all the teams. I highly recommend it.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I were considering doing this on our cruise in March (NCL Joy).  It looks fun but I don't see that many details about it.  Could anyone whose done it give a few examples of the kind of games or puzzles (without spoiling any answers for anyone).  We love the amazing race but I'm curious if this is more like the boardgame escape room puzzles you do at home, in a more exotic location, or are there stops that have real "amazing race" type challenges?  

• Like 1

It's been a while but i remember having to use clues to find your next challenge such as go to a museum and decode something, one of the team had to dive off a boat down 10 feet or more ( which only had 1 team at a time, who ever got there first) to get a clue, going to the "market" to look for clues and many more fun things. It really was like the TV show. When all the teams were finished we met at a restaurant to eat, drink and get our rewards.

It all was very safe and we had a blast interacting with the locals. I highly recommend it.

When we did this it was not a ship excursion.

Edited by candygirl27540
additional content

Google Amazing Race Cozumel it looks like they have changed it somewhat from when we did it years ago. We did it in the town and now it seems you end up on a beach.I'm sure its still lots of fun, wish I could do it soon!

BTW it says teams of 2-10 people.