Platinum Insurance and FCC

awatt

Hi everyody. I have had to cancel Sky Princess  for this Saturday due to family member illness. I have platinum insurance through Princess thankfully with CFAR. I am told I will receive a FCC, but agent could not tell me whenthe FCC expires.

i have 2 questions:

Can anyone tell me when FCC expires?

Is the FCC for one person or can use it like cash for a booking for 2 people? Original booking was for me only, travelling solo.

Thanks for your help.

40 minutes ago, awatt said:

Can anyone tell me when FCC expires? Probably one or 2 years.

Is the FCC for one person or can use it like cash for a booking for 2 people? Original booking was for me only, travelling solo. It can only be used by the person that it's issued to. If there are "leftovers", you'll have to use them on a different cruise AFAIK.

See above.

You said, "will receive" [an FCC].   I had to kick, scream, escalate, even talk to an attorney to get mine.  And my reason for cancellation was clearly a covered condition--I should have gotten refunded; not even FCC.   Make sure you call/write Princess and hold them to their own terms.    Sitting around and waiting can be risky.   And if it sounds like I have a less-than-favorable opinion of Princess now because of it, it's because I do.

2 hours ago, tetleytea said:

You said, "will receive" [an FCC].   I had to kick, scream, escalate, even talk to an attorney to get mine.  And my reason for cancellation was clearly a covered condition--I should have gotten refunded; not even FCC.   Make sure you call/write Princess and hold them to their own terms.    Sitting around and waiting can be risky.   And if it sounds like I have a less-than-favorable opinion of Princess now because of it, it's because I do.

I'm sad to hear that you had to put up such a fight to get your FCC. May I ask what your reason for cancelling was? I want to avoid any problems getting FCC if my elderly father has to cancel our cruise. 

28 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

I'm sad to hear that you had to put up such a fight to get your FCC. May I ask what your reason for cancelling was? I want to avoid any problems getting FCC if my elderly father has to cancel our cruise. 

A United Airlines meltdown.  They cancelled our flight and were unable to rebook us within 72 hours, causing us to miss the departure.   72 hours?!??   We cushioned our flight to land comfortably well before the cruise departure time for precisely this reason.  Aon was useless.  They gladly collect your premiums and do nothing.     So if Princess is still selling Aon travel insurance policies to their customers (and not Nationwide, as I see on Google), then uh...let's just say we will never become Princess Elite.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/blog/cruise-tips/is-cruise-insurance-worth-it

Pretty much any TA will tell you that yes, you need travel insurance, and actually I don't argue the point.   But if they don't honor the claims, then what's the whole point?

• Thanks 1

We had to cancel the Sky for December 9 as hubby was diagnosed with Covid while we were on previous cruise on Celebrity APEX.  Our TA was part of our group and he immediately called Princess and cancelled for us.  When we got home a few days later I had already received a refund of port fees and taxes refunded to our credit card.  It took about 2-1/2 weeks for Princess to issue FCC for all costs minus the price of the insurance and it has to be used (booked AND sailed) by December 31, 2024.

Hope this helps.  I am pretty sure the insurance company was still AON but I never dealt with them for anything, and am very pleased with how this issue was handled. 

Mary in NC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spudd said:

I thought family member illness was a covered reason, shouldn't you get cash instead of FCC?

Per the insurance company, family member was not a member of travelling party, hence the FCC

Edited by awatt

8 minutes ago, awatt said:

Per the insurance company, family member was not a member of travelling party, hence the FCC

Not sure of your state, but in mine, this is the wording: sickness, injury or death to yourself, a traveling companion, or members of either of your immediate families which
is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated.

I'm sorry you had to cancel your cruise, I hope your family member is doing okay.