help! Which tango show

jeanb

I'm late to this site, however, we were at the Piazolla (my hero) Theater in Feb. & I thought it was excellent. It was certainly uncrowded. The food was so so but the dancing was devine & what else can you say about Piazolla music??? I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.l

I agree with you 100%. Piazolla is a terrific show and of course his music is magical! Though I think the food was more than so-so. Okay, it wasn't an outstanding gourmet experience, but it didn't try to be. The steak was tender and delicious and cooked the way we ordered them, the vegetables were fine and the red wine (a Malbec) was quite good.

I disagree with elguerodebasto about not eating at the show. As a visitor, who probably doesn't speak the language, I think it's a hassle to seperate dinner and the show simply beacause of the logisitics. If you hire a private car for the evening, then it's fine. But if you're relying on callling taxi cabs, it's not always smooth. I think it's just easier to have dinner at the show if you're not a local or frequent visitor.

Unfortunately, none of this helps the OP who has a choice of 3 shows, none of which are Piazolla.

Another vote for Piazolla -- We followed recommendations of friends and were very pleased. Not the broadway type production - We had splurged for a box and are glad we did. Food was good, service was excellent, our pix turned out great and I even bought a T-shirt :)

Earl

The dinner tango shows ran about $20-$40 more than for the show alone. Those who chose to dine would have to wait after dinner until all the none dining guests arrived. And having dinner doesn't mean you will have a better table then those who arrive later for the show only. Whether you dine or not, the shows provide transportation for you from your hotel. We stayed one week at the Hilton, a fabulous very modern hotel with excellent well appointed rooms and concierge service( which arrangeed all our tango shows), and a great health club which is important to us. A big advantage to the Hilton is its location in the Puerto Madero section of the city. This is a renovated area of town just behind the Casa Rosada ( the Argentine White House ) on a waterway

filled with excellent restaurants and historic Argentine naval sailing frigates which are open to the public for viewing. I was a naval officer and enjoyed wandering the decks of these historic ships. The area reminded me of the Baltimore inner harbor. The Hilton is the only hotel in this area and is located in the midst of numerous restaurants. Our favorites included La Caballeriza - always packed with locals taking advantage of wonderful cuts of meat grilled to perfection. The outdoor patio is a fun place to sit, drink, dine and people watch. Not to be missed also and just around the corner is the famous Cabana Las Lilas.

A little pricey compared to the other retaurants in the area but this place has to be experianced - it is the grand dame of BA steakhouses with its own cattle ranches throughout the country. It is elegant yet casual and the service superb. Beef is king but seafood also available. Finally,

Villa Sorrento recommended for italian and seafood since one cannot live by beef alone. Cafe Tortoni (not located in this area) is a historic cafe and local hangout. A place to enjoy coffee, hot chocolate(best in BA) and churros (spanish donuts), and late at night - music and tango!

Can't wait to go back in March.

Archived