Cozumel taxi

chocomom

1 minute ago, gordiej said:

Well, I was there in late December, and I'm pretty sure the prices on the board were ~$2 higher than what had been posted previously here on CC. E.g., $40 for 4-8 from International Pier to Playa Mia/Sanchos/Nachi.

Yes that is what has been reported. there is usually a 5 person rate then 6-8?

Edited by c-leg5

10 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I had suspected this was the likely scenario as that is much nearer to the 6-8 person rate. I assume the party of  4 got in a taxi van? Officially if the taxi van is next in line at dispatch they should charge you the 4 person rate. If you stop a van on the street all bets are off and you would have to negotiate - it depends how much they want the fare. However, yes, always good idea to confirm price before leaving and take a photo of taxi number “ in case you forget something” and yes, I suspect the driver was trying it on.

People have reported there has been a price increase although strangely I haven’t seen anything official but it stands to reason since the last increase was 2016.

No. The reason we were charged $40 was not because we got into a van. We squeezed 4 people into a Nissan Versa.  😂I took a photo of the car and license plate with the intent of trying to figure out how to turn the driver in. Later I realized my time and energy is worth more than the $15 he took from me. In the grand scheme of things it’s a small price to pay and thought I’d share with this community so that the same thing doesn’t happen to others as they visit the island. 

IMG_0022.jpeg

5 minutes ago, FarreyFamCruzin said:

No. The reason we were charged $40 was not because we got into a van. We squeezed 4 people into a Nissan Versa.  😂I took a photo of the car and license plate with the intent of trying to figure out how to turn the driver in. Later I realized my time and energy is worth more than the $15 he took from me. In the grand scheme of things it’s a small price to pay and thought I’d share with this community so that the same thing doesn’t happen to others as they visit the island. 

IMG_0022.jpeg

Thanks, then it definitely sounds he was trying it on and unfortunately you got a “bad apple”. Sounds like you did all you could and he didn’t care.

I just checked on the scuba board and there is even a post from today saying no official increase.

Edited by c-leg5

I have been at a decent number of cruise ports recently so I might be confused.

I thought that when you are at the port in Cozumel, you get in line to catch a taxi to town.  The dispatcher asks you the number of people in the party and they get you a taxi for that many of people.  I believe that there was also a sign telling you how much is the fare to different zones.

A strategy that I have used along the US - Mexico border and at various Mexican airports is to shout out that I need a cab in earshot of five to ten drivers and generally one will shout out a lower price or they will all be the same.

There are not many of them left but avoid the old Nissan Tsurus sedans that used to be the mainstay of Mexican taxi fleets.  They are basically the equivalent of a 1980's era Nissan Sentra and has one of the worst crash ratings of any vehicle on Mexican roads.

I believe I may have posted something like this, but my son/d-i-l just got back from some of this area. Since they knew less than a month we would be in some of this area, they decided to check some things out and see what they could find. My son did say he talked with someone ahead of time and they exchanged phone numbers, and for a reasonable price, this driver will be our driver all day for the 8 of us, which will really come in handy.

18 minutes ago, beshears said:

I believe I may have posted something like this, but my son/d-i-l just got back from some of this area. Since they knew less than a month we would be in some of this area, they decided to check some things out and see what they could find. My son did say he talked with someone ahead of time and they exchanged phone numbers, and for a reasonable price, this driver will be our driver all day for the 8 of us, which will really come in handy.

Are you able to share names or approximate prices? I am interested to hear if prices really are increasing. 

Thanksgiving 2023, we checked the rate sign at the port for the 5 of us to go to the Allegro and it matched with what I had seen online in advance. It was $20 and I had $25 ready for each way to include tip. When we were dropped off at the hotel, the driver said $20 and I gave him $25. When we returned back to the port, the driver said $25 and I gave him $25.

This link now has Allegro for 5 passengers at $23. https://www.cruzely.com/complete-list-of-cozumel-taxi-rates/ So it looks like it has gone up.

Edited by mamaneedsavacay
clarity

21 hours ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

This link now has Allegro for 5 passengers at $23

I have that price on my photo from 2017.

There are several reports of increases but I haven’t seen any photos from each of the three piers. Cruise ship piers have always had their own rates compared to outside the gates!

48 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I have that price on my photo from 2017.

There are several reports of increases but I haven’t seen any photos from each of the three piers. Cruise ship piers have always had their own rates compared to outside the gates!

Hmmm, then maybe it was $25 on the sign and I had $30 ready for each way. I see now that the website I linked was from 2022. I remember it was round numbers. That would make sense if it used to be $23 and now it's $25. But obviously I'm not solid on my memory.