Local bus Puerto Vallarta from port to downtown

wlbox

Thinking of taking local bus from cruise port in Puerto Vallarta to downtown area. We want to walk the Malecon. Where is the bus stop near the port?  Where should we get off the bus to start our Malecon walk?  How much does it cost?  Do we need pesos in coins for the bus?  

1. Uber works in PV.

2. If you wish to catch the bus then yes, you will need small change/coins in Pesos. A few years ago we caught the bus from downtown back to the ship and it cost Pesos 23 at the time per person. They were not making change on the bus but then we did have coins from earlier shopping, and we had 3 people riding so we reached bank-note amount pretty quickly. 

3. From town to the port - take the bus that says "Walmart". You will have to cross the street to get into the cruise port.

4. From port to town, the busses will stop right outside on the main street (almost opposite Walmart) as they head South, and I think you would take a bus that says "Centro". Google it, or look at other posts for PV bus routes. Just note that the busses turn left at the north end of the Malecon area and skirt around the area as they head south, so you would want to exit at that point. There are maps online.

Bus fare to/from the cruiseport to the Malecon will cost Pesos 10,- per person per ride. Not all drivers will accept US$.

Take the bus with Centro or Olas altas in the window, not the one with Tunel in the window.

On the return the one with hotels, airport or Ixtapa in the window. Be aware there 2 Walmarts, so check that you take the right one.

Uber indeed will work, but you have to go outside of the port to get one.

16 hours ago, Ine said:

Bus fare to/from the cruiseport to the Malecon will cost Pesos 10,- per person per ride. Not all drivers will accept US$.

Take the bus with Centro or Olas altas in the window, not the one with Tunel in the window.

On the return the one with hotels, airport or Ixtapa in the window. Be aware there 2 Walmarts, so check that you take the right one.

Uber indeed will work, but you have to go outside of the port to get one.

Last year I recall a regular cita taxi outside the gates to Centro, or back to Walmart from downtown was 80 pesos, is it still 80 this year too ?

Just to update, we have been on quite a few buses during the past few weeks (2 this morning) and NONE of them would accept dollars or make change.  You can use coins (drop them in the coin box at the front door) totally $10 (Pesos) per person or there is a slot (on the windshield side of the coin slot) where you can drop peso bills (no change).  A $20 Peso bill (very common) is prefect for a couple.  The drivers appreciate if you let them see that bill before you slide it in the bill slot :). 

Uber is also alive and well here in PV for those that have the app.  They are generally about the same price as taxis (assuming the taxis do not charge you "gringo fares") but they do use surge pricing (just like at home).  If the price on the App is not good, than you might want to use other options.  Between the port area and centro it would not be unusual to see $150 peso fares (for the entire taxi or Uber) with a lower price desirable.  As I write this post the Uber price is about $120 (pesos).

Hank

• Like 1

22 hours ago, srpilo said:

Last year I recall a regular cita taxi outside the gates to Centro, or back to Walmart from downtown was 80 pesos, is it still 80 this year too ?

As I drive a car here I hardly use taxis or an Uber. I think 80 Pesos is low and I would be surprised if you can get a cab for that price. High season often brings high(er) prices too.

• Thanks 1